User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Stick or automatic
Originally posted by powerman
Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by Justin86
Originally posted by switch

One of each?

Cause, you know, sometimes you want a stick, and sometimes you don't.

My main truck doesn't have it, farm truck does.  If I had to choose, no stick. 

Especially with kids, you end up using that free hand for other stuff.

Sure, want to buy me the second car Laughing

Interesting responses so far. 

For some more information though my commute is only about 5 miles.  The worst traffic jams I have to deal with is getting stuck behind a tractor.  I rarely drive in the city, most of my driving is on country roads which get quite icy/snowy in the winter season.

We're debating actually buying a car but it's hard to find a six-speed jeep wrangler unlimited. Honestly, sports cars and jeeps should never be automatics. I vote standard.

It's not like you are the only one... but out here, sticks tend to break stuff. People get too heavy with the skinny pedal and dump the clutch. After that, they burn up a starter because they stall out about 20 times on each obstacle. The only way to do it right is to get a hand throttle on the stick.

I have an auto and don't miss sticks at all. They are indeed more fun. So when you want to have fun, that's nice... but the other 95% of your time, it's just boring rowing gears. Of course, you can keep it in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and do all the engine braking you want and crawling down stuff. Works fine for most stuff. But I will admit, gear selection is much better in the standard and you can put it where you want it. My friend has a stick, and we have the same Jeep. So I have wheeled his too.

I do like manuals, but only about 5% of the time. I do wish mine was an unlimited though.

Don't encourage him.....he's lost as a bastard cat buying a car.  Laughing

2013-08-08 9:58 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Everyday Driver - Automatic.

Toy car (weekend sports car) - Stick.
2013-08-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by DanielG I drove about 35 miles one way to work every day. Rather often, traffic was horrendous. After one day when it was worse than normal and it took me about 4 hours to get home I swore I would never own another standard transmission. Every car since then has been an automatic.

I had the same experience.  I drove that far every day for close to 10 years in Chicago traffic.  I loved my stick.  Kept me alert, conscious of what was going on around me.  I loved it and will be getting a stick again when the current car dies on me.

2013-08-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Left Brain

One of each?

For some more information though my commute is only about 5 miles.  The worst traffic jams I have to deal with is getting stuck behind a tractor.  I rarely drive in the city, most of my driving is on country roads which get quite icy/snowy in the winter season.

We're debating actually buying a car but it's hard to find a six-speed jeep wrangler unlimited. Honestly, sports cars and jeeps should never be automatics. I vote standard.

It's not like you are the only one... but out here, sticks tend to break stuff. People get too heavy with the skinny pedal and dump the clutch. After that, they burn up a starter because they stall out about 20 times on each obstacle. The only way to do it right is to get a hand throttle on the stick.

I have an auto and don't miss sticks at all. They are indeed more fun. So when you want to have fun, that's nice... but the other 95% of your time, it's just boring rowing gears. Of course, you can keep it in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and do all the engine braking you want and crawling down stuff. Works fine for most stuff. But I will admit, gear selection is much better in the standard and you can put it where you want it. My friend has a stick, and we have the same Jeep. So I have wheeled his too.

I do like manuals, but only about 5% of the time. I do wish mine was an unlimited though.

Don't encourage him.....he's lost as a bastard cat buying a car.  Laughing

Why am I as lost as a bastard cat buying a car?
2013-08-08 11:45 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Chicago

One of each?

Honestly I haven't actually owned a car in about six years, but other than the Exploder I had all my cars were sticks. My MR2 and my WRX, of course, were five-speeds. I saw an auto MR2 turbo once and about cried. My ol' 81 CJ5 was a FOUR SPEED! I'd love to have any of those vehicles back, but I dont have the time nor the money to build cars anymore.

The Wrangler Unlimited is awesome because with the longer wheel base, you can fit two bikes in the back, standing up.
2013-08-08 11:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

One of each?

Honestly I haven't actually owned a car in about six years, but other than the Exploder I had all my cars were sticks. My MR2 and my WRX, of course, were five-speeds. I saw an auto MR2 turbo once and about cried. My ol' 81 CJ5 was a FOUR SPEED! I'd love to have any of those vehicles back, but I dont have the time nor the money to build cars anymore.

The Wrangler Unlimited is awesome because with the longer wheel base, you can fit two bikes in the back, standing up.

Is that the limited edition one?

Edited by bradleyd3 2013-08-08 11:47 AM

2013-08-08 12:14 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

One of each?

Honestly I haven't actually owned a car in about six years, but other than the Exploder I had all my cars were sticks. My MR2 and my WRX, of course, were five-speeds. I saw an auto MR2 turbo once and about cried. My ol' 81 CJ5 was a FOUR SPEED! I'd love to have any of those vehicles back, but I dont have the time nor the money to build cars anymore. The Wrangler Unlimited is awesome because with the longer wheel base, you can fit two bikes in the back, standing up.

well then i'd have to go say your opinion is invalid on the topic.

2013-08-08 12:18 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Pro
Originally posted by bradleyd3

One of each?

Honestly I haven't actually owned a car in about six years, but other than the Exploder I had all my cars were sticks. My MR2 and my WRX, of course, were five-speeds. I saw an auto MR2 turbo once and about cried. My ol' 81 CJ5 was a FOUR SPEED! I'd love to have any of those vehicles back, but I dont have the time nor the money to build cars anymore. The Wrangler Unlimited is awesome because with the longer wheel base, you can fit two bikes in the back, standing up.

I have been trying to tell him that for 2 days....maybe you'll have better luck. Laughing

2013-08-08 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Chicago

One of each?

I have been trying to tell him that for 2 days....maybe you'll have better luck. Laughing

Why would I not want a Wrangler Unlimited? They're awesome!

Wait a second. You weren't joking? You think it's actually called a Jeep Wrangler Limited?

Edited by mr2tony 2013-08-08 12:41 PM
2013-08-08 3:38 PM

User image

Elite

One of each?

Why would I not want a Wrangler Unlimited? They're awesome! Wait a second. You weren't joking? You think it's actually called a Jeep Wrangler Limited?

Oh, that's funny. The Unlimiteds have a very good wheel base for wheeling. Many here will stretch a jeep to that length. The Cherokees were liked because of it. Then Jeep finally made one from the factory. I built a Cherokee I traded for my Rubi. I do indeed like taking the top off and the killer turn radius, but the cargo space is nice for the dogs and bikes.

2013-08-08 3:52 PM

User image

Pro

One of each?

Why would I not want a Wrangler Unlimited? They're awesome! Wait a second. You weren't joking? You think it's actually called a Jeep Wrangler Limited?

No, I was talking about the Limited Edition Unlimited. Laughing 

http://www.jeep.com/en/2013/wrangler_unlimited/

Dude.....buy a truck.

2013-08-08 3:57 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Chicago

One of each?

Oh, that's funny. The Unlimiteds have a very good wheel base for wheeling. Many here will stretch a jeep to that length. The Cherokees were liked because of it. Then Jeep finally made one from the factory. I built a Cherokee I traded for my Rubi. I do indeed like taking the top off and the killer turn radius, but the cargo space is nice for the dogs and bikes.

Yeah there's something to be said for having an SUV. It's way more spacious and you don't get the cabin noise of a `convertible.' The CJ5 had a soft top and I can attest that driving at speeds in excess of about 35 would create so much noise that you couldn't carry on a normal conversation. Then again it had the straight-six in it that had barely enough power to get it up and down the road because it was so heavy, so I'm sure that was part of it. I'm guessing the technology has improved since then.
2013-08-08 6:03 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by Justin86 ...

No brainer. Stick.

I've driven my Jeep for the past 10+ years in similar conditions (minus the snow and ice). I'm keeping her for 10 more. 

2013-08-08 7:09 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I voted for the third option because I don't own a car. I learned to drive on a stick and the only cars I've owned had a manual transmission, however I like to drive an automatic. I get no pleasure from driving and would prefer to have one less thing to do. However, I'd opt for an automatic choke and power steering first. Cool

2013-08-08 7:26 PM

User image

Pro

auto.  then again, I've got Di2- so it's an obvious choice for me.

If you were buying a raw sports car, then perhaps you'd want to row your own, but for a SUV kinda' car, like, what's the point?  In the old days, sticks would give you better mileage and better acceleration.  these days, it's the other way around.

2013-08-08 8:48 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Manual for a sports car or off-road vehicle, otherwise automatic. If you go with the Outback think about if you want the cvt transmission if you plan to take it on questionable roads or heavy snow. If you get stuck and try to rock the car by going from drive to reverse you will be disappointed with the cvt since there is a lag when switching from drive to reverse or vice versa.

2013-08-09 7:57 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
2013-08-09 8:00 AM

User image

Expert

One of each?

Yeah this right here. Went to buy my jeep, and salesman says to me "standard or automatic sir"

and I asked honestly, "they make automatice jeeps?",

"yes sir they have for a while"

"Well that's borderline communism"

2013-08-09 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Driving a stick shift is just so much more fun!

I own one of each though...my sedan is a stick and my full size pickup is an automatic...mostly because that was recommended so I didn't kill the thing myself when I tried to tow stuff. :D

2013-08-09 12:14 PM
in reply to: dsand97

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by dsand97

One of each?

Yeah this right here. Went to buy my jeep, and salesman says to me "standard or automatic sir"

and I asked honestly, "they make automatice jeeps?",

"yes sir they have for a while"

"Well that's borderline communism"

Borderline? Why not just paint it red and slap a hammer and sickle on it. Friggin' pinkos.

I'm still stewing about that incident over the Indian Ocean in 1986 where they shot down one of our F14s. Thankfully we got four or five of theirs and our guys managed to bail out. I hear the guy who did most of the shooting-down is now an instructor at Miramar.

2013-08-11 9:24 PM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Putting my two cents in (which, in the current economy, is worth less than two cents) I love a manual transmission, but my next vehicle is going to be automatic. About two years ago I hurt my left leg enough that I wasn't able to drive for a few days (couldn't walk much during that time either) because I couldn't push the clutch pedal. My girlfriend at the time doesn't know how to drive stick, so I had to wait a couple of days for someone from work to drive my truck to the house. I've run into this a few times with other folks not knowing how to drive stick, so swapping drivers for any reason was a no-go.

If it was simply for fahrvergnügen, I'd have just manual transmission vehicles, but since I may not be the only one driving it, I'll get an auto and be satisfied with the manual transmission on my motorcycle.

2013-08-12 5:41 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
It depends... I drive A LOT of cars (being a dealer... perk)

For everyday driving, I would take an automatic. It's just less headache in traffic / daily driving conditions.

For my "fun" car I would want a stick...because hey, I'm driving it for fun.

A good compromise for a "1car" household is the sport shift automatics. They knock some of the fun out of a stick, but you still get most of the "feel" (and they save your butt if you suck at shifting)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Stick or automatic Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Automatic Capuccino Machines

Started by Opus
Views: 649 Posts: 9

2008-08-06 2:44 PM Opus

Stuck in the Mud

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 555 Posts: 4

2006-09-08 9:26 AM runningwoof

Stick a fork in me!!!

Started by parrj
Views: 883 Posts: 13

2006-04-28 2:54 PM darylljsmith

Stick a fork in him...

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 972 Posts: 24

2006-04-19 10:20 PM JBrashear

Argh I'm STUCK!!

Started by max
Views: 780 Posts: 12

2005-09-21 8:21 PM shawn barr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : April 3, 2006
author : Writebrained
comments : 0
Imagine gliding on a fresh stick of butter just placed on a hot frying pan. Now imagine sliding along an isolated country road almost effortlessly. You’ve just imagined yourself on a Javelin Narni.