Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-09 12:35 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Music While Swimming ?
I use the JLab GO 4g. It's the best $50 I spent. 1 year no question warranty on them also.

2013-08-09 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Happy to sell someone my old swimp3. I switched to a waterproofed iPod Shuffle from http://www.audioflood.comwhich is pricey bu works flawlessly. I've also had an h2o audio case and it was ok for 3 months until it broke.

I went thru about 4 of those stupid cases. I bought one and the had to replace it. Then I bought another and they had to replace it too.

Good to read that you are pleased with the audioflood. You got me to thinking I need one......

Well after pondering it for a bit, I realized I did not get any present from my wife on Flag Day....I ordered one!
2013-08-09 1:41 PM
in reply to: datlas

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by datlas

Swimming is so boring for me. Good music would help, I suspect.

IMHO if you get bored you're not focusing on your workout, and music will only make that worse. When you're not focused, you're wasting time, you don't get the full benefit of your workout - and I think that actually holds for the run and bike as well. The only audio device I think have a place in the pool is a tempo trainer to help you keep the rhythm.

BR
2013-08-09 1:42 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

no no no no no no no no

Only thing worse than music while swimming is dive boats that have underwater speakers for music while diving   UGH

2013-08-09 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by erik.norgaard

Originally posted by datlas

Swimming is so boring for me. Good music would help, I suspect.

IMHO if you get bored you're not focusing on your workout, and music will only make that worse. When you're not focused, you're wasting time, you don't get the full benefit of your workout - and I think that actually holds for the run and bike as well. The only audio device I think have a place in the pool is a tempo trainer to help you keep the rhythm.

BR

Wasting time? LOL I swim because I love to swim and it is good exersize.....never thought I was wasting my time.

Background music is exactly that, BACKGROUND music....similar to white noise. My son is a 3rd year electrical engineering student and I've tried to tell him to lose the tunes when he is studying but he insists it helps rather than hinders. He is an honor student on full academic scholarship so it's hard to convince him that the music detracts from his focus.

2013-08-09 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Wasting time? LOL I swim because I love to swim and it is good exersize.....never thought I was wasting my time.

Sorry, I silently assumed that you train to get better, that you set goals and are determined to achieve and exceed them. To achieve your goals you need to keep focus, your workouts must have a purpose. Getting distracted or bored is detrimental to achieving.

Given that for most here, the main restriction is lack of time, train smart is key. Most can't afford to waste time on crap workouts. To be efficient and train smart, you've got to stay focused. Everything else is waste of time...

But of course, if your sole purpose is to paddle back and forth in the pool for no other reason, swim as you like.

2013-08-09 5:30 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by Rogillio Wasting time? LOL I swim because I love to swim and it is good exersize.....never thought I was wasting my time.
Sorry, I silently assumed that you train to get better, that you set goals and are determined to achieve and exceed them. To achieve your goals you need to keep focus, your workouts must have a purpose. Getting distracted or bored is detrimental to achieving. Given that for most here, the main restriction is lack of time, train smart is key. Most can't afford to waste time on crap workouts. To be efficient and train smart, you've got to stay focused. Everything else is waste of time... But of course, if your sole purpose is to paddle back and forth in the pool for no other reason, swim as you like.

So because you cannot focus with music you're saying no one can???  Is that true for running and biking as well?  We'll make it safe and say biking on the trainer for giggles

2013-08-09 6:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by bzgl40

So because you cannot focus with music you're saying no one can???  Is that true for running and biking as well?  We'll make it safe and say biking on the trainer for giggles

OP is bored. I'm saying boredom is a symptom of lack of focus, and music will not get you more focused, it can (may) make it worse. And yes, depending on what you put in your ears it can make things worse: Some posters have suggested podcasts and audio books, I'm pretty certain that if you listen to those you will either have a poor workout or only limited idea of what the podcast was all about.

Lack of focus and boredom in my experience is either caused by a poor workout program or because some other issues have taken control over your mind (family, friends, work, personal worries, the grocery list, whatever) or both. You need to think about what the purpose of your workout is, how each drill and set support that purpose and keep that in mind when you train. And you need to learn to leave your other problems in the locker room, after all nothing will change till you're done and you've set aside the time to do your workout, better do it well.

Edited by erik.norgaard 2013-08-09 6:10 PM
2013-08-09 7:15 PM
in reply to: FishHog

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by FishHog

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Happy to sell someone my old swimp3. I switched to a waterproofed iPod Shuffle from http://www.audioflood.comwhich is pricey bu works flawlessly. I've also had an h2o audio case and it was ok for 3 months until it broke.

About the same here. I like audiobooks, and the swimp3 wasn't clear enough for that. But it was great for music. I've had 3 h20 cases fail. Not the waterproofness, but the ear phones.

Went to the audioflood and love it.

Audioflood here as well, was what I asked for fore Christmas, Best Damm Christmas gift in a long time, I accidently broke the waterproof earphones a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't wait for the new replacements to get here, thought I was going crazy without it.
2013-08-09 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Sorry, I silently assumed that you train to get better, that you set goals and are determined to achieve and exceed them. To achieve your goals you need to keep focus, your workouts must have a purpose. Getting distracted or bored is detrimental to achieving.

Given that for most here, the main restriction is lack of time, train smart is key. Most can't afford to waste time on crap workouts. To be efficient and train smart, you've got to stay focused. Everything else is waste of time...

But of course, if your sole purpose is to paddle back and forth in the pool for no other reason, swim as you like.

Yeah, bad assumption. Not everyone that does triathlons is trying to 'be all they can be'. Many people just like to swim, bike and run and occasionally participate in triathlons. I have never trained in the pool.....ever. I just swim. My "goal' is to swim....it is relaxing and it is exercise and the more I swim the easier it gets and the more I enjoy it.

I also just run.....and just bike.

BTW, your condescending remark about paddling back and forth is uncalled for and elitist.

Edited by Rogillio 2013-08-09 9:06 PM
2013-08-09 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Yeah, bad assumption. Not everyone that does triathlons is trying to 'be all they can be'. Many people just like to swim, bike and run and occasionally participate in triathlons. I have never trained in the pool.....ever. I just swim. My "goal' is to swim....it is relaxing and it is exercise and the more I swim the easier it gets and the more I enjoy it.

BTW, your condescending remark about paddling back and forth is uncalled for and elitist.

Very classy response to a very unclassy post.

2013-08-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Champion
Alabama
I got the waterproof iPod from Audioflood and love it!! I really like not having to deal with a waterproof 'box'. The iPod is the latest version Shuffle and is tiny. There earbuds they sent are not the ones depicted on the website. They have a new/better design on the earbuds…..really short so you don’t have extra length to deal with when you put them on my goggles.

I listen to tunes when I'm swimming laps and I also use it floating on a raft in our backyard pool.
2013-08-26 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
I'm glad you like your new AudioFlood waterproofed iPod! It has been life altering for me.

Really, pool swimming is rather boring. You're not outside like OWS or running or cycling, instead you're going down 25 yards, back 25 yards, over and over and over... it's tedious as all hell. Yes you can focus on technique and all that, but that's just not enough for me. I find my mind wandering to work issues, or something else, and suddenly I realize I haven't been paying attention to my hand entry or whatever.

Adding music while swimming is just enough to give me a bit of a background and actually does help keep me focused on the workout. I don't do audiobooks or podcasts because that would be taking away too much focus. But the familiar songs occupy enough of that part of my brain that would distract me anyway, and let the other part of my brain focus on the workout. I also pick upbeat faster paced songs, the same kind I run to, and that helps keep my energy up.

With my AudioFlood Shuffle, I really look forward to swimming rather than experiencing the dread of facing another mind-number 1500 yard straight swim.

Ultimately, I do triathlons for fun and enjoyment and achievement and fitness and so on. Having music while swimming clearly adds to the fun and enjoyment part and does help with achievement because I stay in the pool longer when I'm enjoying it vs. being bored out of my skull.

Edited by brucemorgan 2013-08-26 2:38 PM
2013-08-26 3:11 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Champion
Alabama
I agree! It is rather boring staring at the black line in the bottom of the pool. I swim primarily for exercise and relaxation. I'm not really trying to get faster per se. I will get faster but mainly because I'm losing weight.

2013-08-26 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4824048

Malvern, PA
Ok. OP updating.

I cheaped out and got a $17 Chinese wayerproof MP3 player from eBay. It's the one that looks like a cylinder.

It works ok. I have only used it once, so I can't yet comment on its longevity or impact on my tolerance of swimming. I think it will help some.
2013-11-18 12:07 PM
in reply to: EKH

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by EKH

Very classy response to a very unclassy post.

x2 on the sentiment

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Music While Swimming ? Rss Feed  

of 2