General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU Chicago 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-08 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: ITU Chicago 2014
Is anyone else tempted to visit Chicago for the ITU race in June 2014?

There have only been 2 previous ITU races in the USA and it seems like it would be an awesome experience. It is the same weekend (I assume) that the St. Louis 5150 took place this year...it seems the 5150 series is a bit unstable so who knows it if will even be back in St Louis next year.

There is a 1 day registration discount for the ITU Chicago race...

2013-08-08 11:03 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: ITU Chicago 2014
Yeah, I saw that too. August 20th is the discount sign up day ($120 for OLY distance). Would be interesting to do a race where there's no pressure with regards to getting a drafting penalty.
2013-08-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by reecealan

Yeah, I saw that too. August 20th is the discount sign up day ($120 for OLY distance). Would be interesting to do a race where there's no pressure with regards to getting a drafting penalty.

I'm not exactly sure how all this works...but isn't the AG race non-drafting? I think that you can only draft in the Elite race and tri bikes are illegal. Does that sound right?
2013-08-08 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by dprocket

I'm not exactly sure how all this works...but isn't the AG race non-drafting? I think that you can only draft in the Elite race and tri bikes are illegal. Does that sound right?

I don't even know, I was just assuming it was like I saw on TV regardless of pro or Elite status. Makes sense though, TT bikes in a tight pace line would be challenging for many and probably not the safest idea in the world.
2013-08-08 11:55 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Originally posted by dprocket

I don't even know, I was just assuming it was like I saw on TV regardless of pro or Elite status. Makes sense though, TT bikes in a tight pace line would be challenging for many and probably not the safest idea in the world.

In fact, I think the AG race takes place in the morning and the Elite later in the day sometime. I don't think you even share the course with the pros. The schedule hasn't been posted yet, but it would be an awesome event. I have kind of enjoyed getting to events like this that I can make interesting for my family with other stuff to do. (it helps me get into more events when I can convince the family that we're going someplace for a weekend trip vs. a triathlon). It's a bit exhausting, but it works right now with small kids.
2013-08-08 5:46 PM

User image

Gold member
I'm really tempted to sign up. I love Chicago and we have some friends up there. This might be the excuse I'm looking for!

2013-08-19 8:55 PM
in reply to: Alekssdunn

User image

Lenexa, KS
I've not read through anything official here, but I'm going to go out and say that the AG race will 99% positive be non-drafting. There's ITU sanctioned events held in the U.S. every year with Continental Cup races (entry level pro races) this one in Chicago next year happens to be WTS race which is the 3rd tier of elite racing, the 2nd tier I believe being called Elite Cup (they keep changing names, darn sport with growing pains). It takes earning points at the continental cup level to race the 2nd tier and then consequently more points in the second tier and petitioning your country's governing body (USAT in our case) for a spot at a WTS race since each country is limited the number of spots based on whether they're hosting or its an "away game."

Short little tidbit on elite series racing, but back to the matter at hand there are essentially only a handful of draft legal age group races held each year in the U.S. and they are predominantly the Elite Development Series races (25 and under, older athletes petition for entry, limited to 75 racers). EDR's were held in Monroe Washington and Sarasota and Clermont Florida this year. There seems to be a possible other draft legal races for Juniors floating in my mind, but I could be making that up.

So if you're looking to draft in Chicago then your options are risking the time penalty or working up to the WTS level of pro racing as far as I know currently.

Given the separate formats the elites will race at a different time from age groupers and on a different course (elite races are looped format for faster racing and better spectating). Should be a good race to watch though and a great opportunity for the US to build some awareness.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU Chicago 2014 Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"