General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "I will never do that distance(IM) again!!!!!!"....well maybe just one more time! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-12 4:55 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: "I will never do that distance(IM) again!!!!!!"....well maybe just one more time!
Just like in College..."I will NEVER drink again!"...until this weekend.

2013-08-13 6:34 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Subject: RE: "I will never do that distance(IM) again!!!!!!"....well maybe just one more time!
Originally posted by rick4657

Just like in College..."I will NEVER drink again!"...until this weekend.

which really started on Thursday night and went until Monday morning
2013-08-13 6:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England
I think I have retired from IM 3 times now just to change my mind a few days later ...  Undecided
2013-08-13 8:01 PM
in reply to: WildWill

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
My first is in 12 days. IM Canada. I had TYR custom goggles made. Laser etched into the lens. "140.6 Never Again"
2013-08-14 2:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I wanted to do another one within 8 hours of finishing my first in CDA this past June. Brought up HITS in November of this year. My coach didn't say "no," she said "absolutely not."

World HIM Championships 9/8, then focusing on HIM St. George, then IMAZ 2014.

Edited by GatorDeb 2013-08-14 3:00 AM
2013-08-14 12:26 PM
in reply to: dsand97

User image

New user
Originally posted by dsand97

Finished the BSLT 70.3 in June. Swearing up and down on the way to the car up that long hill that this distance wasn't for me. I was done with HIM.

Got home, took a shower, a nap, went for a walk, had a glass of wine and was signed up for another (in November) before dinner. And I'm doing the full IMTX in May.

I need to get my head checked.

After this year, I said "I am never doing BSLT again, that sucked".

Then, I was ALMOST swayed by the 25th anniversary sale. I held strong, but I can't believe I was considering it after spending my whole run cursing... it is a sickness.

2013-08-14 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by FELTGood

Finished my first IM in LP last week......said to my wife that though a great experience, and I was happy to do it, I do not have the time or desire to do it again and I will just stick to HIM, oly etc

10 days later over breakfast....I was thinking that cozumel or Cabo IM looks great, "What do you think.......?

Is this why people do multiple races at this distance? is it really that addicting?

I am seriously going to think about it for maybe 2015 but I cant believe I went full circle within 10 days......I feel like Brett FAvre!!!!

BTW....anyone do Cozumel and would they recommend it??

I think for some it is addicting and they really enjoy the training and race day. I did IMKY in 2008, and said never again. I then signed up to do IMTX in 2012. Did it. Got a slower time. Ticked off my time was slower and considered doing it again.

Now that I'm over a year from that race and watching my boyfriend train for IMKY I'm glad I didn't sign up again. My reality is that I'm never going to be great at long distance races. After 7 years of consistent training I'm still around a 15 mph average on the bike, if I keep my HR in zone 2. And I'm not racing a IM bike in zones 3 and 4. As for the run, my knees start to hurt pretty bad after mile 8. Not sure if there's a fix for that as it is probably just old age.

Lately I've enjoyed having more balance in my life. I get one weekend day off. Which means I get to go out and have fun the night before. And I get to sleep in on a Sat or Sun. It's nice having a normal life one day a week.

Both he and I swore "never again". Never say never, so the likely hood that I'll do another IM is like 1%. Maybe even less!

I know people who thrive on 6+ hour bike rides and 2-3 hour runs, but that's not me. So for now I'm sticking to the sprints and Oly's and maybe the occasional HIM.

2013-08-14 1:26 PM
in reply to: KSH

I swore off IM races after my first IM race too. I held onto that for about 6 months. What changed my mind? Well, as I kept thinking about IMFL and how my day unfolded, there was alot of pain, agony and swearing, but I did learn a lot about myself and my training. In other words, I did fair-to-ok at my first IM distance race, but I know so much more about IM racing and training now that I did one, that I want a second chance to test myself and work out the rough patches in my training and race day execution. It's not about being faster per se, but just better. So, long story short, IMMT 2014 here I come!

Maybe I'm on the slippery slope to becoming addicted to IM races, but for now, I'm sticking with my story...
2013-08-14 8:50 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Well I haven't even completed my first IM yet. Gearing up for IMWI in a few weeks, and I definitely do not recall why I thought this was a good idea! I am completely burned out and feeling discouraged. This all has been such a strain on my family and me that I really don't think I'll do one again. For sure I will do half IM distance tris and marathons, but a second IM is most likely not in my future. In a way I feel like a complete wuss, but really this all has been too much. With that said, I have completely fallen in love with swimming and see myself entering distance OWS events.

Did anyone else think they would be a one and done IM distance triathlete before even finishing her first? Maybe this question is not a lot different than asking a woman at the height of labor/transition whether she would do it all over again? Timing is everything.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "I will never do that distance(IM) again!!!!!!"....well maybe just one more time! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Seriously wondering if it's better as an AGer to train one sport at a time

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1554 Posts: 12

2010-04-27 9:16 AM JohnnyKay

First IM - which one is best.

Started by frnk36
Views: 962 Posts: 11

2009-10-20 12:23 PM McFuzz

Best way to improve swimming distance or time?

Started by rebekah
Views: 1433 Posts: 21

2007-11-28 6:25 PM Renee

Best time to get V02 and threshold testing done

Started by triwor
Views: 991 Posts: 2

2007-08-24 10:17 PM mikericci

Anyone doing one 0 one triathlon????

Started by BADNEWSC
Views: 1229 Posts: 6

2007-02-05 9:12 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?