General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone used Hot Tamales as part of their nutrition? Other non-traditional nutrition ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-08 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Anyone used Hot Tamales as part of their nutrition? Other non-traditional nutrition ideas?
I am crazy about Hot Tamales- I keep them in my pocket while skiing to eat on the lift. I'm thinking about putting some in my bento box. Thoughts?

I just struggle with GU.

2013-08-08 8:40 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone used Hot Tamales as part of their nutrition? Other non-traditional nutrition ideas?

There is one person who tried exactly what you suggested...and what ensued was probably the most EPIC thread in BT history.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&page=1#

2013-08-08 8:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Anyone used Hot Tamales as part of their nutrition? Other non-traditional nutrition ideas?
i believe there is a thread/story involving tamales in bento boxes around here somewhere....

• ..its not pretty.

• EDIT: Jason N posted it.

Edited by Clempson 2013-08-08 8:41 PM
    2013-08-08 9:08 PM
    in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Well, I am definitely NOT trying that now

Yikes, I will think of that every time I eat one now!
    2013-08-08 9:29 PM
    in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

There is one person who tried exactly what you suggested...and what ensued was probably the most EPIC thread in BT history.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&page=1#

Lol, I was tearing up because I was laughing so hard! Holy Sh*t!!
    2013-08-08 9:34 PM

User image

Regular
    LHOTP
    As soon as I saw your post, I thought of that thread. (If you're reading this thread and don't know what we're talking about, click on Jason's link. It is AWESOME!) Every time I see or hear hot tamales now, I think if it :)

2013-08-09 9:23 AM

As for a serious post (although the hot tamale thread is funny), I have considered using jelly bellies in my bento box. I love me some jelly bellies and GU starts to get to me after a while since it just seems to coat my mouth. My only problem is figuring out how I can keep jelly bellies around the house for training without constantly going to the pantry to do some "training" on the couch.

Edited by stebaldi 2013-08-09 9:24 AM
    2013-08-09 9:33 AM
    in reply to: stebaldi

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    Sometimes I take Gummi Bears on long runs.
    2013-08-09 10:02 AM
    in reply to: rick4657

User image

Expert
    Brookings South Dakota
    I paced a lady for 53 miles at the Black Hills 100 a couple years back and took in nothing but green tea, dried cherries, and gummy worms. Worked like a charm.
    2013-08-09 10:51 AM
    in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
    New York, NY
    Originally posted by switch

As soon as I saw your post, I thought of that thread. (If you're reading this thread and don't know what we're talking about, click on Jason's link. It is AWESOME!) Every time I see or hear hot tamales now, I think if it

x2
    2013-08-09 11:00 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member
    Lots of people, myself included, do PayDay candy bars on long rides. Sugar, salt, peanuts - and it doesn't melt. Yum.

2013-08-09 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Bronze member
    Hot Tamales? No

Payday candy bars, Austin crackers, fig bars, nutrigrain bars, granola bars, M&M's? Yes to all. I've been known to purchase chocolate candy bars during a stop, but they don't hold up so well in the jersey pocket/bento box on a hot ride.

I also do ultramarathons which I refer to as "outdoor buffets." Hot dogs, grilled cheese, pizza, cookies, chips, pretzels, ham salad, ham and cheese, burgers, egg sandwiches, quesidillas, boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, chicken broth, chicken soup, jelly beans, twizzlers, marshmellow peeps have all been consumed during training or racing.

Edited by McFuzz 2013-08-09 11:34 AM
    2013-08-09 11:13 AM
    in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
    Wow - that thread Jason posted is hilarious. The best part is everyone starts chiming in with their own "crap my pants" stories. Classic!
    2013-08-09 11:31 AM
    in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
    Greenville, SC
    Originally posted by lisac957

Lots of people, myself included, do PayDay candy bars on long rides. Sugar, salt, peanuts - and it doesn't melt. Yum.

hmm i think i might grab some of these to try then. the whole not melting thing is pretty important for bike food.
    2013-08-09 12:16 PM

User image

New user

Hahaha! This is what I think about anytime anyone mentions Hot Tamales now too. I've tried pitted dates in a sandwich bag on my bike ride. Seems to work pretty well.
    2013-08-09 12:42 PM
    in reply to: Tmanishere

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
    Discovery of the year was the fun of surgically opening jelly babies and inserting a salted pumpkin or sunflower seed into it (or prezel peice). A super sweet and salty mix and the texture helps in getting them down.

2013-08-09 12:45 PM
    in reply to: ipull400watts

User image

Expert
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Originally posted by ipull400watts

I paced a lady for 53 miles at the Black Hills 100 a couple years back and took in nothing but green tea, dried cherries, and gummy worms. Worked like a charm.

I bring gummy bears/worms on long rides for no real reason other than I like gummy bears
    2013-08-09 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
    Waukegan, IL
    I use fruit leathers. I get most of them at Target. I don't remember what Target calls them...but it's not fruit leather. I choose them because....I like them and they are easier on my stomach than gummi bears/worms (which are delicious and great for car rides).
    2013-08-09 1:37 PM
    in reply to: TriToy

User image

Champion
    Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TriToy
    Originally posted by switch As soon as I saw your post, I thought of that thread. (If you're reading this thread and don't know what we're talking about, click on Jason's link. It is AWESOME!) Every time I see or hear hot tamales now, I think if it
    x2

x3 - I had to stop reading the thread while at work because I was laughing too hard.

2013-08-09 1:38 PM
    in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
    Austin, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957 Lots of people, myself included, do PayDay candy bars on long rides. Sugar, salt, peanuts - and it doesn't melt. Yum.

LOVE the PayDay bars!!  They are a recent discovery for me, but they've been the bomb diggity on my recent long rides. 

2013-08-09 1:49 PM

User image

On a more serious note, one thing I love on really long rides (5+ hours) is what we in Hawaii call a spam musubi.  Spam on top of some white rice wrapped in dried seaweed.  Sort of like spam sushi...except you don't use sushi rice.  Don't knock it until you try it...  I mean, Hawaii is the #1 consumer of spam...and it's not like we eat it right out of the can. 

Great because it's got simple carbs (white rice), salt, a little fat, and protien.  The fact that the spam is processed meat also makes it much simplier to digest.  For longer rides though, you sometimes have to add a little salt to the rice to make sure that it doesn't spoil.

(spam musubi.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    spam musubi.jpg (41KB - 25 downloads)

2013-08-09 5:12 PM

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

On a more serious note, one thing I love on really long rides (5+ hours) is what we in Hawaii call a spam musubi.  Spam on top of some white rice wrapped in dried seaweed.  Sort of like spam sushi...except you don't use sushi rice.  Don't knock it until you try it...  I mean, Hawaii is the #1 consumer of spam...and it's not like we eat it right out of the can. 

Great because it's got simple carbs (white rice), salt, a little fat, and protien.  The fact that the spam is processed meat also makes it much simplier to digest.  For longer rides though, you sometimes have to add a little salt to the rice to make sure that it doesn't spoil.

Is that going to be in your special needs bag for Kona?  Laughing

2013-08-09 6:58 PM
    in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Is that going to be in your special needs bag for Kona?  Laughing

You bet it is.  In more bite sized portions though. 

2013-08-09 10:20 PM

User image

Master
    MidWest
    I keep mini snicker bars in the freezer to use for long runs.  I also use Payday candy bars.  I really crave chocolate so any mini chocolate bar will do for me!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone used Hot Tamales as part of their nutrition? Other non-traditional nutrition ideas? Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Hot Weather Nutrition

Started by chandy14ski
    Views: 675 Posts: 5

2012-07-16 12:50 PM chenny

Nutrition ........Non "processed" food ideas Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by JM2
    Views: 5562 Posts: 108

2011-07-06 5:02 PM rh8463

Non chemical nutrition during a HIM Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jogo
    Views: 3355 Posts: 52

2011-02-21 8:47 PM trishie

Nutrition ideas for first tri on Sunday?

Started by kagoscuba
    Views: 1017 Posts: 10

2008-07-21 1:50 PM JohnnyKay

PEANUTS AS PART OF NUTRITION

Started by orth874
    Views: 792 Posts: 5

2004-08-31 5:58 PM Wookiee
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 8, 2009
    author : Team BT
    comments : 0
    Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : December 24, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.
    date : December 3, 2008
    author : dexter
    comments : 15
    What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : September 3, 2008
    Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
    date : August 20, 2008
    During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 20, 2008
    author : Nancy Clark
    For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
    date : September 24, 2007
    Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : August 17, 2007
    Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.