United States
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 40m 3s
Overall Rank = 52/72
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

A few months ago I Googled best places to open water swim in Kauai so I could get a few swims in while there on vacation. This race came up so I asked my brother-in-law, who was going with us as well, if he wanted to do the race. He was down for trying it and did the 1000 meter and I did the 3000.

On race morning I tried to eat my typical bagel with peanut butter, but wasn't going down to well. We had been here in Hawaii for 10 days and eating non-typical food (eating out a lot), my stomach wasn't handling food at this point.

The drive from our resort in Lihue took about 45 minutes to Hanalei Bay. We got there 90 minutes before race time and checked in. The race was supposed to start at 9 am, but there were so many walk up registrations that the first races didn't start until about 10:15. During the wait it rained on and off, but it's Hawaii, so who cares!

The 8 and unders did there 200 meter swim first, followed by the 12 and under. It was fun watching the little ones!

Event warmup:

While we waited, and waited, and waited some more, I took a few dips in the water to cool off. While it had rained, it was getting warmer outside. I didn't really do a real warm-up because I'm not a warm-up kinda person before a race. I did finally force myself to eat a few Gatorade Chews about 15 minutes before we started.

Finally it was time to swim at about 10:30, 90 minutes after the 3000 meter was supposed to start. Remember I hadn't eaten a real breakfast? This was now beginning to haunt my stomach.

Swim
  • 40m 34s
  • 3000 meters
  • 01m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

There were only two buoys on the course: on at 500 meters for the 1000 turn around, and the second at 1500 meters for our turn around. Both were only about 3 feet high and maybe a foot in diameter. I'm blind without my glasses so I couldn't see them at all. Instead, I used the lines that keep the boats from getting to close to shore. Then I just used a father swimming the 3000 meters with his 9 year old son. At one point he told me I could pass them, but I told him he was my eyes so I was going to continue to stalk them.

A few times I did switch to breaststroke for a few strokes so I could see where I was. One of the paddle boarders asked me if I was okay and I asked him if he had pancakes on the board. Yes, I was starving at that point.

As we came into the finish, the dad I was stalking told me to go, but I told him I wanted to get beat by a 9-year old. It was a running finish out of the water and because of my foot and ankle injury I can't run.
What would you do differently?:

I used this race more as a learning experience. Not a lot of oceans here in Colorado to practice swimming in, so I just wanted to gain the experience of doing an open water swim in the ocean. I did not put 100% effort into the swim because I didn't know what to expect with currents and I didn't want to tire out too early. In fact, while my goal was an hour, I was worried that I wouldn't make the 1:15 cut-off because this was a big unknown for me. After I was done I did regret not going out faster because I did feel really good out there.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down but I did eat a pumpkin muffin my husband brought for me!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The unknown of an ocean swim. Also, I cannot kick because of my injury, so this was an arms-only swim with my right leg helping to keep balance. Left leg is just a long for the ride. I

Event comments:

If you are in Kauai at the end of July, do this race. Hanalei Bay is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Last updated: 2013-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:34 | 3000 meters | 01m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 52/72
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Out 1500 meters and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-08 10:46 PM

User image

Subject: Hanalei Bay Swim Challenge
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hanalei Bay Swim Challenge Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Namolokama 5th annual Open water swim at Hanalei Pier

Started by tritwinmom
Views: 1185 Posts: 1

2011-08-07 6:34 PM tritwinmom

JACO Chun's to Waimea Bay Swim - North Shore Swim Series Event #3

Started by swussow
Views: 901 Posts: 1

2011-07-30 5:54 PM swussow

Cholo's Waimea Bay Swim - North Shore Swim Series Event #2

Started by swussow
Views: 1181 Posts: 1

2011-07-16 5:07 PM swussow

Namolokama 1st annual open water swim at Hanalei Pier

Started by Melhndi
Views: 1208 Posts: 4

2007-07-10 5:32 AM Mesteren

Namolokama 1st annual open water swim at Hanalei

Started by tritwinmom
Views: 1514 Posts: 5

2007-07-11 2:40 PM maureen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...