United States
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 18m 6s
Overall Rank = 13/
Age Group = Male 20-29
Age Group Rank = 6/
Pre-race routine:

Ate some Clif Shot Bloks an hour before the start. Got ready at 5:45p and walked over the park from my brother's house.
Event warmup:

Went to Sunset Park around 6:00 pm and starting to warm up by active stretching and a mild warmup run.
Run
  • 18m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was around 19:30 for this race. Conservative..yes, but last year I did it in 23:05. I remember that hill being almost straight up and down, but when I checked it out before the race, it was smalller than most of the hills I run on near daily basis. Good! At the start, I almost immediately lit the wheels up. The pack quickly thinned out. At the first hit of the hill there were 4 people in front of me. I passed them all going up the hill. After that none of them caught back up to me. After the hill I was suckin' air pretty good, but just kept on with my pace. My breathing settled down soon after the hill and I kept pounding it out. During the second lap I wasnt able to catch anybody else until the very end. At the second hitting of the lap, I was able to gain some on this other guy and finally overcame him at the final sprint to finish. That final sprint was about 1/4 mi and was all I had in me. After the race I looked at my watch for my max pace (the final sprint) - 4:26. Nice! Excellent race and I killed my goal of 19:30, not to mention taking 5 minutes off of my previous years time!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe grab some water on the second loop. I didnt take in any liquids through the whole race. Around the second lap towards the end my mouth was pretty dry.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught my breath after the last sprint to finish and stretched. Went back on the course by the top of the hill to wait for Amy and cheer her to the finish.

Event comments:

There was about 320 people running and a lot of good competition. Check out my placing - 13th overall and *6th* in my AG. The 5 people in my AG that were in front of me were in the top 10! A lot of the people there that were in my AG were people that ran track in HS and went on to run track or cross country in college.

Overall the race was very well put together. It took a while for the race results to be posted, but that was alright. With Paperfest going on there also, there was enough stuff to burn time with. Will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2006-04-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:06 | 03.1 miles | 05m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 13/
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 166; Max HR: 181
Course: 2 loops around Sunset Park. Mostly flat except for one hill on the backside of the park, which we hit twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-22 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Sunset Run

2006-07-24 4:35 PM
in reply to: #490067

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Sunset Run

Bloody h***, If you would be any faster you would be a Kenyan.

How did you manage to improve so much in one year ??? 5 minutes

Awesome race, just awesome, nothing else to say about that
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunset Run Rss Feed