of 5

2013-08-14 7:35 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Olympic Nutrition
Originally posted by Chillin

Because I was curious? I asked a question because I was curious. No information is meaningless, it just depends what you do with that info.

Okay; so to satisfy your curiousity, here are some numbers:

Olympic Distance Triathlon - AvgHR 162 - 2:12
1500m swim - AvgHR - 153 (not 100% sure this is accurate but the athlete wore the strap throughout) - LTHR - 162 - 23 minutes
T1 - AvgHR - 164 - 1 minute
40km bike - AvgHR - 159 - LTHR - 164 - 1:07
T2 - AvgHR - 168 - 1 minute
10km run - AvgHR - 172 - LTHR 173 - 40 minutes

Marathon - AvgHR 159 - 3:08
First 10 miles - Avg HR 157 - 71 minutes
Second 10 miles - Avg HR 159 - 70 minutes
Final 10km - Avg HR 165 - 45 minutes

Shane

2013-08-14 8:02 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Originally posted by rjrankin83

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Why would you say that at Oly would be run at just below threshold for the first 3/4 and then at threshold for the remaining 1/4, while a marathon would be run below threshold thoughout? Why would you not run the marathon harder at the end as well? If you are not you are not really racing you are just jogging?

Because there are distinct segments and while one could aim to maintain intensity evenly thoughout a triathlon, this is not the best pacing strategy. Due to the fact that the swim is in water and the bike is at higher speeds, there is little benefit to going harder on the swim and bike but rather pacing to be able to drop the hammer on the run.

The kick of a marathon may build to or be slightly above threshold but in an oly, it will be pretty much run at threshold throughout (around half mary pace for most).

Shane

First let me say I'm not disputing what you are saying just trying to increase my knowledge...

You say that Olys are not comparable to HMs than full marathons in intensity but looking at the WR times
Half: ~58 mins
Full: ~2:05
Oly: 1:45
(assuming times scale up approximately linearly from there... (they do for me personally))

Clearly time wise olys are much closer to fulls than to half's, so shouldn't the intensity be closer to full? Or do you say that because of the effect on the body from the multiple events? Or somethjng else?

I bet the WR holder in the marathon couldn't break 2:05 in an OLY so comparing those two times is useless. Also how does comparing times between 3 races that 3 different people raced help you decide their intensity?

What is YOUR oly time vs marathon?

Comparing times Helps determine approx intensity because that is the only easily available info and endurance events that are closer in total time could reasonably be assumed to be closer in intensity than those that are farther apart in total time.

Are comparisons between sports directly comparable? No, of course not, but comparisons will always be made.

For example see this article: http://gizmodo.com/5992583/how-far-do-you-run-in-different-sportsIs that relevant in any meaningful way? No. Is it interesting (to me)? Yes.

Anyways, the post you quoted was just me questioning gsmacleod because he said a half was closer in intensity than a full.

Here are my times:

Half 1:39:03 = 56% of my Oly
Full 3:40:42
Olympic Tri: 2:56:09 = 125% of my Oly

Compare that to the ratios in the records and you can see my ratios are pretty comparable (for what that's worth)
Half: 0:56 = 53% of Oly
Full: 2:05 = 119% of Oly
2013-08-14 8:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Because I was curious? I asked a question because I was curious. No information is meaningless, it just depends what you do with that info.

1500m swim - AvgHR - 153 (not 100% sure this is accurate but the athlete wore the strap throughout) - LTHR - 162 - 23 minutes

Shane

Thank you for that. I would have thought it would have been a bigger difference. I'd venture to guess 167 AvgHR over a half in about 1:24?

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-08-14 8:09 PM
2013-08-14 8:09 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Originally posted by devilfan02

http://i.imgur.com/Pk3Cs1d.gif
2013-08-14 8:20 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Chillin  Well again I was joking calling it a break but at the same time you Are giving your heart at least a minimal break. I don't think it is wrong to assume most people will see at least Some decrease in HR while taking off their wetsuit, etc. A minimal drop no doubt, but a drop nonetheless. From what I have seen the difference between Oly and Marathon times for the average person is more in the 40-45 minute range not an hour. But I'll concede it may be closer to an hour if you say so. Just looking at HR which event do you think has an overall higher HR an Oly or a Marathon? Since that is the only tool available to the average user to measure intensity and the biggest overall factor in your ability to ingest food.

You're still missing the point.  It's not about the average HR for the oly overall vs the average HR for a marathon.  It's the average for the marathon vs the oly run.  During an oly run, your GI tract is going to be quicker to shut down than during a marathon, because it's at a much higher intensity.  If you've dumped too much food down there during the bike, causing GI shut down, your body is going to get rid of the extra any way it can.

No I am not missing the point. I was simply asking a question because I was curious. I was the one that brought it up so that is the only "point" here anyone answering other than that is missing the point. Just curious which event has an overall higher avg HR. That's it, that's all.

I meant that you're missing the point about why a fueling strategy you utilized for a marathon without GI issues is not relevant to successful fueling strategies for an oly.  As Shane has tried to tell you several times, it's apples and oranges.  I was trying to "normalize" the factors you're looking at by saying that even eliminating the swim and bike from the equation and just looking at the intensity of the oly run vs the marathon (since they're at least the same discipline), the oly run was a higher intensity, making it less likely that someone could absorb fuel at the same rate.

Like I said that was just an example and was not meant to be comparable in any way. Regardless I have moved passed that and wasn't talking about that at all anymore.

Let me make myself more clear: everything you and gsmacleod said was no doubt 100% correct I am not disputing any of that. My only point was that I am confident that my plan would not harm ME in anyway. I was not recommending it to anyone else and I don't even think it was necessary just that based on personal experience I know it would not hurt ME. You are welcome to continue telling me I'm wrong but I'm done with that conversation.

...thank you for trying to help though.
2013-08-14 8:28 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

First let me say I'm not disputing what you are saying just trying to increase my knowledge...

You say that Olys are not comparable to HMs than full marathons in intensity but looking at the WR times
Half: ~58 mins
Full: ~2:05
(assuming times scale up approximately linearly from there... (they do for me personally))

Clearly time wise olys are much closer to fulls than to half's, so shouldn't the intensity be closer to full? Or do you say that because of the effect on the body from the multiple events? Or somethjng else?

First, I have a question; why do athlete run slower for the marathon than they would for the half marathon? This may seem like a simple question but depending on whether or not your understanding of this is correct, it should make it easier to see the answer to your question.

Shane

I'm sure you are looking for more than this but because we could not keep up the higher intensity for that long. If we tried to go faster we would end up taking longer not shorter.

2013-08-14 8:34 PM

User image

Shane

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for

Of course it's only a sample set of one so who knows if those numbers would hold up but still thank you.

I'm actually surprised the overall HR is almost exactly the same (but lower for the full).
2013-08-14 8:35 PM

User image

Champion

I'm sure you are looking for more than this but because we could not keep up the higher intensity for that long. If we tried to go faster we would end up taking longer not shorter.

Buy why? If I can run at 4:00/km for 10km, why not a half marathon or a marathon?

Shane
2013-08-14 8:36 PM

User image

Champion

Thank you for that. I would have thought it would have been a bigger difference. I'd venture to guess 167 AvgHR over a half in about 1:24?

Half wasn't that fast; 1:29 but HR is about right (can't find the actually numbers right now but definitely close).

Shane
2013-08-14 8:42 PM

User image

Champion

Comparing times Helps determine approx intensity because that is the only easily available info and endurance events that are closer in total time could reasonably be assumed to be closer in intensity than those that are farther apart in total time.

Are comparisons between sports directly comparable? No, of course not, but comparisons will always be made.

For example see this article: http://gizmodo.com/5992583/how-far-do-you-run-in-different-sportsIs that relevant in any meaningful way? No. Is it interesting (to me)? Yes.

Anyways, the post you quoted was just me questioning gsmacleod because he said a half was closer in intensity than a full.

Here are my times:

Compare that to the ratios in the records and you can see my ratios are pretty comparable (for what that's worth)

It holds up but only because your Oly PR is very soft compared to your half and full marathons. I haven't run a marathon but I have run a half and am quite confident that I have a good idea of a solid marathon based on my training and performance in other events.

Half - 1:31 - 70% of Oly
Full - 3:25 (pure guess but I'm confident with pure marathon training I could go under 3:10 so 3:25 would be a pretty comfortable guess) - 156%
Oly - 2:11

Shane
2013-08-14 8:59 PM

User image

Buy why? If I can run at 4:00/km for 10km, why not a half marathon or a marathon?

Shane

Lol why do I feel like I'm back in school?

I don't know because your muscles get tired lactic acid build up?

I don't know why don't you tell me.

2013-08-14 9:03 PM

User image

Here are my times:

It holds up but only because your Oly PR is very soft compared to your half and full marathons. I haven't run a marathon but I have run a half and am quite confident that I have a good idea of a solid marathon based on my training and performance in other events.

Full - 3:25 (pure guess but I'm confident with pure marathon training I could go under 3:10 so 3:25 would be a pretty comfortable guess) - 156%

Shane

Yep that's true. After my Tri in 2.5 weeks hopefully those ratios will be completely different.
2013-08-14 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Here are my times:

Shane

My numbers in previous races are almost identical

Half-1:32
Full-3:26
Oly-2:12

That said I've dropped 12 lbs since my full and am hoping for huge gains before Nov at my IM and by Feb I hope to be a full 30 lbs lighter than last full mary. I'm done arguing with the talking wall but Congrats to you sir on your coaching in the Canada Games this year. Clearly you know what you're talking about
2013-08-14 9:16 PM

User image

Champion

I don't know because your muscles get tired

So, assuming fatigue is the reason, do swimming and cycling fatigue your leg muscles in the same way running does?

Or, put another way, if you had to run a fast 10k the following day, which workout would be the worst to attempt:

1) 4000m all out swim
2) 40km all out ride
3) 15km all out run

lactic acid build up?

There is no lactic acid accumulation in the body.

Shane
2013-08-14 10:02 PM

User image

Here are my times:

Shane

That said I've dropped 12 lbs since my full and am hoping for huge gains before Nov at my IM and by Feb I hope to be a full 30 lbs lighter than last full mary. I'm done arguing with the talking wall but Congrats to you sir on your coaching in the Canada Games this year. Clearly you know what you're talking about

Did I say something to upset you? I haven't disputed anything you or anyone else has said so why do you keep making negative comments towards me?

Good luck at IM in November!
2013-08-14 10:06 PM

User image

I don't know because your muscles get tired

So, assuming fatigue is the reason, do swimming and cycling fatigue your leg muscles in the same way running does?

Or, put another way, if you had to run a fast 10k the following day, which workout would be the worst to attempt:

1) 4000m all out swim
2) 40km all out ride
3) 15km all out run

lactic acid build up?

There is no lactic acid accumulation in the body.

Shane

You are really making me work for this answer aren't you?

2013-08-15 12:04 AM

User image

Champion

But why would that be? All three are roughly one hour maximal efforts so why wouldn't all three impact in a similar manner?

Shane
2013-08-15 12:21 AM

User image

But why would that be? All three are roughly one hour maximal efforts so why wouldn't all three impact in a similar manner?

Shane

Because they use different muscles/muscle groups.

LOL are we almost to your answer as to why you stated an Oly is closer in intensity to a half marathon than to a marathon?
2013-08-15 4:16 AM

User image

Champion

Because they use different muscles/muscle groups.

LOL are we almost to your answer as to why you stated an Oly is closer in intensity to a half marathon than to a marathon?

While the muscle utilization is certainly part of the story, it isn't the entire reason. Consider what would happen if you had to do back to back threshold efforts as listed above with a few hours rest between efforts. What would be the easiest and what would be the hardest?

Shane
2013-08-15 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Here are my times:

Shane

Did I say something to upset you? I haven't disputed anything you or anyone else has said so why do you keep making negative comments towards me?

You've done nothing but attempt to dispute everything that's been said in this thread.
2013-08-15 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Wow, this was an interesting thread. Now that I've read it the only thing I can think of now is that debate from the movie Billy Madison ..."The industrial revolution was like the puppy that lost his way...."

Some of this refueling stuff is mental. I think some people think they need more calories but they don't. I think for some it's hard to tell whether you're bonking or just not quite there yet performance/fit wise. I question that myself from time to time so all you can do is try different things. But what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

For OLY distances I have calories from the gatorade in the bottle and one gel. That's it. I go pretty hard on the swim AND the bike and usually t ake a hit on the run speed wise but I don't feel as though I'm bonking.

2013-08-15 10:10 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Not to to open a massive can of worms, but there was a study that showed putting salt in the mouth reduced cramps long before the salt could be metabolized - the taste triggered a reaction. I think I read it on here or ST.

Just to add fuel to the fire, here's my Oly fueling from a couple of weeks ago:

Overhydrate before the race so you have plenty of pee to warm your wetsuit up.
Re-Hydrate with plenty of lake water.
Put three gels in tri suit pockets during T1. Forget to eat all of them.
Flat with 100 yards of T2 and have a 15 minute rest while changing the tire.
Eat cliff blocks because you fancy something strawberry. Almost crash because you're going downhill and they're impossible to remove from the packet.
Decide your bike split is a wreck because you can't change a tire and cruise through, drinking two bottles of water and having no GI distress because you're not really doing any work.
Leave gels in pocket during T2. Forget to eat them on the run.
Take water from first aid station, turns out to be HEED. Nasty - accidently spit it on yourself.
Take water from second aid station and squash cup by accident, spilling all except a teaser-drop.
Avoid the rest of the aid stations because you're incompetent and don't want to hurt any volunteers.

Finish in almost the same time as last year, despite failing to fuel and spending 15 minutes changing a tire.
2013-08-15 12:04 PM

User image

Here are my times:

Shane

You've done nothing but attempt to dispute everything that's been said in this thread.

No not at all. If you think that you clearly just don't understand what was being said.

I was not refuting anything. I was simply saying what I was going to do. I even said that what others said was the correct way to do it. I acknowledged that what I was doing was overfueling. I did not ever recommend what I was doing to anyone else (nor did I ever ask for anyone's advice). I agreed that I didn't need to consume that much. What else do I need to do?
2013-08-15 12:18 PM
in reply to: guitarfrk75

User image

Originally posted by guitarfrk75

Not to to open a massive can of worms, but there was a study that showed putting salt in the mouth reduced cramps long before the salt could be metabolized - the taste triggered a reaction. I think I read it on here or ST.

Just to add fuel to the fire, here's my Oly fueling from a couple of weeks ago:

Overhydrate before the race so you have plenty of pee to warm your wetsuit up.
Re-Hydrate with plenty of lake water.
Put three gels in tri suit pockets during T1. Forget to eat all of them.
Flat with 100 yards of T2 and have a 15 minute rest while changing the tire.
Eat cliff blocks because you fancy something strawberry. Almost crash because you're going downhill and they're impossible to remove from the packet.
Decide your bike split is a wreck because you can't change a tire and cruise through, drinking two bottles of water and having no GI distress because you're not really doing any work.
Leave gels in pocket during T2. Forget to eat them on the run.
Take water from first aid station, turns out to be HEED. Nasty - accidently spit it on yourself.
Take water from second aid station and squash cup by accident, spilling all except a teaser-drop.
Avoid the rest of the aid stations because you're incompetent and don't want to hurt any volunteers.

Finish in almost the same time as last year, despite failing to fuel and spending 15 minutes changing a tire.

As funny as the "debate" has been to read, this was an absolute GEM! I'm still laughing ...
2013-08-15 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Here are my times:

Shane

No not at all. If you think that you clearly just don't understand what was being said.

I was not refuting anything. I was simply saying what I was going to do. I even said that what others said was the correct way to do it. I acknowledged that what I was doing was overfueling. I did not ever recommend what I was doing to anyone else (nor did I ever ask for anyone's advice). I agreed that I didn't need to consume that much. What else do I need to do?

Yeah I'm the one misunderstanding. I'm not going to continue this debate here if you feel the need to continue feel free to PM me.

Best of luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Nutrition Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Olympic Nutrition Plan

Started by runninirish
Views: 1174 Posts: 6

2012-06-20 10:31 AM runninirish

Olympic Nutrition

Started by DJS
Views: 1375 Posts: 14

2010-08-12 7:24 PM metafizx

Nutrition intake during Olympic race - Help!

Started by StandsWithFist
Views: 1220 Posts: 12

2007-03-27 2:56 PM chirunner134

Nutrition before and during Olympic Dist Tri

Started by anturtle
Views: 665 Posts: 5

2006-07-17 9:30 AM davidb

Olympic tri nutrition/supplementation

Started by ODogg
Views: 758 Posts: 6

2004-08-06 4:35 PM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
What are some tips to avoid the muscle cramps (which normally hit me in the run portion). How can I best prepare my body to perform without cramping?
date : August 17, 2007
author : mrakes1
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.