Subject: RE: Olympic Nutrition
Originally posted by rjrankin83

Originally posted by Chillin

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Comparing times Helps determine approx intensity because that is the only easily available info and endurance events that are closer in total time could reasonably be assumed to be closer in intensity than those that are farther apart in total time.

Are comparisons between sports directly comparable? No, of course not, but comparisons will always be made.

For example see this article: http://gizmodo.com/5992583/how-far-do-you-run-in-different-sportsIs that relevant in any meaningful way? No. Is it interesting (to me)? Yes.

Anyways, the post you quoted was just me questioning gsmacleod because he said a half was closer in intensity than a full.

Here are my times:

Half 1:39:03 = 56% of my Oly
Full 3:40:42
Olympic Tri: 2:56:09 = 125% of my Oly

Compare that to the ratios in the records and you can see my ratios are pretty comparable (for what that's worth)
Half: 0:56 = 53% of Oly
Oly: 1:45
Full: 2:05 = 119% of Oly

It holds up but only because your Oly PR is very soft compared to your half and full marathons. I haven't run a marathon but I have run a half and am quite confident that I have a good idea of a solid marathon based on my training and performance in other events.

Half - 1:31 - 70% of Oly
Full - 3:25 (pure guess but I'm confident with pure marathon training I could go under 3:10 so 3:25 would be a pretty comfortable guess) - 156%
Oly - 2:11

Shane

My numbers in previous races are almost identical

Half-1:32
Full-3:26
Oly-2:12

That said I've dropped 12 lbs since my full and am hoping for huge gains before Nov at my IM and by Feb I hope to be a full 30 lbs lighter than last full mary. I'm done arguing with the talking wall but Congrats to you sir on your coaching in the Canada Games this year. Clearly you know what you're talking about

Did I say something to upset you? I haven't disputed anything you or anyone else has said so why do you keep making negative comments towards me?

Good luck at IM in November!

You've done nothing but attempt to dispute everything that's been said in this thread.

No not at all. If you think that you clearly just don't understand what was being said.

I was not refuting anything. I was simply saying what I was going to do. I even said that what others said was the correct way to do it. I acknowledged that what I was doing was overfueling. I did not ever recommend what I was doing to anyone else (nor did I ever ask for anyone's advice). I agreed that I didn't need to consume that much. What else do I need to do?

Yeah I'm the one misunderstanding. I'm not going to continue this debate here if you feel the need to continue feel free to PM me.

Best of luck

If that means you are going to stop insulting me then I'll take it. So thanks for that.

2013-08-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

(cry-baby-lebron-meme-generator-i-m-sorry-f2ea39.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cry-baby-lebron-meme-generator-i-m-sorry-f2ea39.jpg (26KB - 19 downloads)
2013-08-15 1:25 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

(Hug it out.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Hug it out.jpg (34KB - 12 downloads)
2013-08-15 1:51 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Originally posted by reecealan Wow, this was an interesting thread. Now that I've read it the only thing I can think of now is that debate from the movie Billy Madison ..."The industrial revolution was like the puppy that lost his way...."

LOL...It actually resembles a lot of GatorDeb threads.  Strange ways to constantly refute good information and advice...but in the end the thread is pretty informative overall.

2013-08-15 1:58 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Wow.  I haven't looked at anything but the last page, and I love this exchange....

"You've done nothing but attempt to dispute everything that's been said in this thread." 

"No not at all."

2013-08-15 2:13 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Wow.  I haven't looked at anything but the last page, and I love this exchange....

"You've done nothing but attempt to dispute everything that's been said in this thread." 

"No not at all."

Ya. I don't understand why people took what I was saying to be refuting or disputing what they were saying. Some people just want to have their say and move on I guess. Discussion is not disagreement.

2013-08-15 2:18 PM

User image

"No not at all."

Ya. I don't understand why people took what I was saying to be refuting or disputing what they were saying. Some people just want to have their say and move on I guess. Discussion is not disagreement.

i don't think you....   er, never mind

2013-08-15 2:23 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

"No not at all."

No, I completely did, it's just that you... oh, never mind.
2013-08-15 2:50 PM

User image

"No not at all."

No, I completely did, it's just that you... oh, never mind.

LOL

See how these threads always end nicely????

2013-08-15 2:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I've been reading along after myself leaving what I think was a wonderful primer on physiology (and eating popcorn - but not so much as on a typical GatorDeb thread or enough to cause GI problems, of course) and thinking some of the same things:  Is Chillin an alter ego for GatorDeb, laughing out loud at the "I disagree that I'm disagreeing" assertion, laughing out loud again at the Oly non-fueling report, etc.

Thing is, there really is good info here, and not just for those of us that are "beginners."  Makes me wonder if others have a better idea of how to "interact" on these boards than do I…  or at least to get more out of them.  Tongue out   Too bad there's not a way to distill all the "GatorDeb/Chillin" lessons!

Shane, you are a patient man, and we're all better for it.  Thanks

Matt

ETA:  Gotta add that Chillin, you certainly have more sticktuitivity than most.  Will serve you well on course, as long as you don't overfuel.  KIDDING - just couldn't resist.  Looking forward to hearing how the next race goes and if you stick with your original approach or apply any of the EXCELLENT info in this thread...

M

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-08-15 2:55 PM
2013-08-15 2:54 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks but I'm mainly just killing time between feedings and diaper changes

Shane

2013-08-15 2:57 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 Shane, you are a patient man, and we're all better for it.  Thanks
Thanks but I'm mainly just killing time between feedings and diaper changes Shane

Been there, brutha!  When the youngest can get ready for bed themselves, it's a whole new world - I never could have trained for a HIM 5 years ago (our youngest of 3 is now 9), but could this year.  Those bigger blocks of time are gold, pure gold...

Enjoy.  WinkLaughing

2013-08-15 3:12 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

I've been reading along after myself leaving what I think was a wonderful primer on physiology (and eating popcorn - but not so much as on a typical GatorDeb thread or enough to cause GI problems, of course) and thinking some of the same things:  Is Chillin an alter ego for GatorDeb, laughing out loud at the "I disagree that I'm disagreeing" assertion, laughing out loud again at the Oly non-fueling report, etc.

Thing is, there really is good info here, and not just for those of us that are "beginners."  Makes me wonder if others have a better idea of how to "interact" on these boards than do I…  or at least to get more out of them.  Tongue out   Too bad there's not a way to distill all the "GatorDeb/Chillin" lessons!

Matt

ETA:  Gotta add that Chillin, you certainly have more sticktuitivity than most.  Will serve you well on course, as long as you don't overfuel.  KIDDING - just couldn't resist.  Looking forward to hearing how the next race goes and if you stick with your original approach or apply any of the EXCELLENT info in this thread...

M

Haha, I feel that I should be insulted? lol, and GatorDeb too? ...but since I don't know the back story for that I'll choose to take it as a compliment :D

"laughing out loud at the "I disagree that I'm disagreeing" assertion" It's not an assertion it's a fact. As I've said repeatedly I know that what others have told me is correct and that my way is wrong. What I don't understand is why other people feel the need to keep repeating that when I've agreed to it from the beginning (and incidentally was never seeking any advice at all).

"Chillin, you certainly have more sticktuitivity than most.  Will serve you well on course, as long as you don't overfuel KIDDING - just couldn't resist.  Looking forward to hearing how the next race goes" Only 18 days until my next overfueled adventure
2013-08-15 3:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by reecealan Wow, this was an interesting thread. Now that I've read it the only thing I can think of now is that debate from the movie Billy Madison ..."The industrial revolution was like the puppy that lost his way...."

LOL...It actually resembles a lot of GatorDeb threads.  Strange ways to constantly refute good information and advice...but in the end the thread is pretty informative overall.

Funny you mention that, I decided to bow out of this "debate" when I noticed the resemblance to her CdA thread.
2013-08-15 9:18 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

Thanks but I'm mainly just killing time between feedings and diaper changes

Shane

Shouldn't you be potty trained by now?

I'm sorry - I couldn't resist...! There was some really good info though. Thanks for that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Nutrition Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Olympic Nutrition Plan

Started by runninirish
Views: 1173 Posts: 6

2012-06-20 10:31 AM runninirish

Olympic Nutrition

Started by DJS
Views: 1374 Posts: 14

2010-08-12 7:24 PM metafizx

Nutrition intake during Olympic race - Help!

Started by StandsWithFist
Views: 1217 Posts: 12

2007-03-27 2:56 PM chirunner134

Nutrition before and during Olympic Dist Tri

Started by anturtle
Views: 663 Posts: 5

2006-07-17 9:30 AM davidb

Olympic tri nutrition/supplementation

Started by ODogg
Views: 757 Posts: 6

2004-08-06 4:35 PM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
What are some tips to avoid the muscle cramps (which normally hit me in the run portion). How can I best prepare my body to perform without cramping?
date : August 17, 2007
author : mrakes1
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.