General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 59s
Overall Rank = 95/419
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/32
Pre-race routine:

Scouted everything out the day before at packet pick-up. Normal routine on race day: get up, get some breakfast, headed to race.

There were people everywhere! This is both a sprint and an intermediate distance, and there were over 800 participants combined, so it was a little different scene than what I am used to. It was very organized, though, and I knew where my assigned transition spot was.
Event warmup:

Got my transition area set up, and took the bike for a little warmup. There wasn't really anywhere to ride, so I just rode back and forth on a short stretch of road to make sure everything was working properly. Re-racked the bike, then headed for a warm-up run on the pedestrian bridge to see what the climb feels like. At the top I checked out the current by tracking the debris going under the bridge, and found it to be about 1/3 of the speed from Saturday. Still quite a bit of "junk" in the river. I then headed back to do a run-thru of my transitions and make sure I knew where to go, then grabbed my goggles and headed for the swim.
Swim
  • 08m 44s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

We noticed while waiting in line that people were getting way off course rounding the last buoy and heading back to the dock. We made a note to aim way upstream, but we didn't realize that you were looking directly into the sun rounding the last buoy and can't see where you are going! I guess I did better than some and worse than others on that. Overall I was pretty happy with my swim, it wasn't too rough in the water for an open water swim, and I did ok against the current. I hoped for 9 min, so I was a little better than that. I was happy to get it over with and head toward the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I was a little worried about the current and the debris (saw lots of trees (not branches, trees!) in the water the day before, and was nervous about getting concussed in the water. I did get hit a couple times by debris, but it didn't bother me. You couldn't see anything in the water either, but I kept calm and was happy with the result, it was a good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I was fastest in my age group, 29th in the entire field. I was a little disoriented out of the water and staggered a little running up the dock, but got it together pretty quickly and passed a few people on the long run to transition. Had my goggles and cap off during the run, got my helmet and sunglasses on, grabbed the bike, and took off. I ran around a couple people at the mount line, and had a pretty good mount and got going.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 41m 11s
  • 13.9 miles
  • 20.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I went about as hard as I could. I was averaging 18.5 at the turnaround, but the downhill/downwind return trip made up for it. A little bit disappointed by my rank here, but felt like it was a pretty good ride.

Not much. I knew I had a hilly 5k run ahead, so I tried to hold back just a little bit, but still went about as hard as I could. I was happy to average over 20.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

4th age group, 78th overall

I decided to use socks for this race. Had them rolled and ready to go, no issues getting them on. Grabbed my race belt and visor and headed out. I looked up to the pedestrian bridge and gave Wendy a wave and headed that way.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was 26 min, so I was really happy with sub-25. I felt like I did a good job mentally on the 3 big uphills of just counting my strides and keep running. The last mile is downhill/flat, so I was able to finish pretty strong (for me). It might have been closer to 3 miles than 3.1, but that's a really good tri 5k time for me.

I don't know, I think that's about as good as I can do on a tri run at this point. That's where I really have to improve if I am going to continue to see gains next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the mist tent, got some ice and powerade, and sat there for a little bit cooling down. Found Wendy, got her thoughts, and wait for results. I ended up going to the bike dismount area to watch some of the intermediate bikers, and was surprised at the number of people with really nice bikes who were really awful at dismounting!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt like I performed about as close to my abilities as I can. My goal was 1 hour 15 minutes, but that was based on a 12 to 12.5 mile bike. Since the bike was closer to 14, I did a little better than I thought I could. I feel like I can continue to improve all three phases, but the biggest gains need to come from the run I think.

Event comments:

Outstanding job by Team Magic! LOTS of volunteers, including boy scouts with wet rags that you pass twice on the run. I got some water on the 1st avenue climb on the run and said "Thank you ma'am" to the lady, and another lady said "awww, he said thank you!!!" Thought that was funny. Having a closed bike and closed run course is awesome, I really enjoyed this race and plan to return next year. Might even give the intermediate a shot!

Last updated: 2013-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:44 | 400 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/32
Overall: 204/419
Performance: Good
Suit: trisuit
Course: One rectangular loop, about 75 meters upstream, then across to the other side, back downstream, then back to the dock.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:11 | 13.9 miles | 20.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/32
Overall: 76/419
Performance: Average
Averaged 20.2 by my meter. Supposed to be 12 miles, but the turnaround was at mile marker 7, go figure!
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on a closed 4 lane divided highway (Ellington Parkway). Closed course was awesome! Slightly uphill most of the way, which means a nice downhill on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:41 | 03.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/32
Overall: 157/419
Course: Under and then across pedestrian bridge, down third ave, over to first, long uphill climb, then over to second ave, down second, then back up third, back across the river on Woodland St bridge, then back around the stadium to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-10 10:54 AM

Subject: Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by morsebj
Views: 1062 Posts: 1

2013-07-31 12:11 PM morsebj

Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by JoelO
Views: 1193 Posts: 1

2013-07-30 10:51 AM JoelO

Music City Triathlon Short Course

Started by dbrawders
Views: 1216 Posts: 1

2009-07-28 11:51 PM dbrawders

Started by roch1009
Views: 1954 Posts: 7

2009-08-02 3:39 PM tnbasschaser

Started by orange223
Views: 1475 Posts: 3

2009-07-29 9:03 AM Timmeh!
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.