General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From sprint to HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-10 10:38 PM

Subject: From sprint to HIM
Would it be un wise not to compete in an Olympic distance race before going to a HIM distance?

Background.
So before the six months of training I will have before the HIM (September next year) I will be competeing in 7 sprint distance tris. The last one will be in around Feb and that when I will begin HIM training.
I have ran a half marathon (1;48).

The only reason I ask this is because I want to get the garmin 910xt but if I enter the Olympic I may not be able to afford it.

So Olympic or garmin?

2013-08-10 11:09 PM
in reply to: #4826073

User image

Subject: RE: From sprint to HIM
Don't do so many sprints and do an Olympic. No sprint is going to prepare you for a HIM, especially not seven. unless they are a series you are trying to win save the money.
2013-08-11 12:12 AM
in reply to: bencook

I didn't do a sprint or an Olympic before my HIM so it can definitely be done. I had run marathons however which certainly helped
2013-08-11 12:29 AM
in reply to: djmtrier

I should have said, but it is a series that I enetered.
2013-08-11 1:07 AM

User image

It's definitely doable. I know people who have done HIM as their first. Just do the training and have reasonable expectations of pace.

Bike a lot. That's where the real gains will come, especially for an experienced runner. The swim of a HIM isn't much longer than an Olympic.
2013-08-11 1:28 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I think it's fine.

You will have plenty of time to train for the HIM, and you will have good tri experience with all of the sprints.

bear in mind the swim is almost a mile, so can be a game changer for some.

you are no stranger to the run, but I don't know about your bike...

follow a decent HIM plan and I'm sure you'll be ready to rock it.

2013-08-11 5:32 AM
in reply to: #4826079

Veteran
Niagara Region
I find the 910 garmin to be my best training tool.
2013-08-11 6:16 AM
in reply to: berndog

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
I did two sprints as preparation for my HIM. What you want to practise is transition and the sprints taught me a lot, especially as the first transition was terrible :p

Everything else should be practised during training: nutrition, long runs etc etc

2013-08-11 8:23 AM

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
All I had done prior to my first HIM this year were sprints and short-course X-Terras. I don't feel that not having done an olympic hindered me in any way, and I was really happy with how I did. As someone else mentioned, make sure you've got the time and km's in on the bike.

I did my first oly a couple weeks ago and actually found it more strenuous than the HIM, I guess because of the tendency to go harder on short course. And I was drained for a couple days after this, whereas I was ready to rock after a day of rest following the HIM.

Whatever you decide, have fun!
2013-08-11 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
It is certainly not a problem, as long as your training is preparing you for the distance of the HIM.

I had only done three sprints before I did a full IM and I don't think doing longer distance races would have benefited much, if at all. The main thing is that you get to test out equipment that you may not use every single training session, practice transitions and get used to the atmosphere at a race. Sprints will prepare you just as well for these things as an Olympic distance would.
2013-08-11 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Get the Garmin, use it to track your mileage in training for the HIM

FWIW me personally, I did a total of 6 sprint, then a HIM, then an IM 7 weeks after the HIM. Putting in the training distance is more important than doing a certain race distance. I didn't even do my first olympic until almost a year after my IM

2013-08-11 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
If the question is olympic or garmin, definitely the race. Either you love this or you don't, and race memories beat gear hands down if you do.

Unless the races are within 2 weeks of each other, I can't see how one would impact the other, so long as you're training for the HIM and not the Oly. A sprint and a HIM have little in common, IMO. One is about managing the red line effort the whole time, the other is about staying in the yellow and not tapping the red until the last 3 miles. To race (as opposed to complete) both requires training, but there's less discipline involved in a sprint, you just GO. The Oly - that's to your ability. Last year I couldn't race an Oly, this year I can.
2013-08-11 9:27 PM

User image

Pro

Doing an oly is not necessary.  Doing more races won't train you for an HIM

Training trains you for an HIM.  In fact- what you learn from races- such as doing fast transitions, becomes less important the longer the race.  

If you're training 12-14hrs a week, logging 7 hrs on the bike, 4 hours running and 2 in the pool- you'll be more than ready for an HIM, regardless of how many sprints you've done.  

Then you just need to figure out nutrition and pacing

2013-08-12 1:10 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
I went from sprints to my first HIM with no issues

Get the Garmin 910
2013-08-12 3:15 AM
in reply to: spearit

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
I agree with the above. It is the training that matters more than the racing for a HIM.
I went from sprint to IM - though not on purpose - the Oly I entered was turned to a duathlon because of bad weather. But the point is it didn't hinder me - the training is the thing that was most important
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From sprint to HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two sprints 3 & 4 weeks before A sprint race????

Started by GraceVanOwen
Views: 847 Posts: 3

2011-05-04 9:50 PM Corncub

Newbie: What to do Sprint/ Mini Sprint/ NONE

Started by cannastar
Views: 667 Posts: 2

2009-09-20 7:38 AM marmadaddy

Completed my 1st Tri-It Sprint using a Couch to Sprint; Now what?

Started by brihilsa
Views: 788 Posts: 4

2009-06-20 11:09 PM brihilsa

mini sprint vs sprint

Started by maxmansmom
Views: 2276 Posts: 11

2009-01-02 3:47 PM maxmansmom

Sprint in 4 wks, just did super sprint... help need build

Started by BbMoozer
Views: 744 Posts: 4

2006-07-17 4:32 PM Stone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.