Fort Collins, Colorado
United States
Without Limits Productions
Total Time = 2h 43m 4s
Overall Rank = 162/201
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Grabbed a bagel with Cream Cheese, a cup of coffee and a Vitamin Water and headed out. Ran into a ton of helpful people in the parking lot who helped me with my bike number and pumping my front tire up. I was way under prepared based on taking this entry from my husband 2 weeks prior.
Event warmup:

Swam out to the first buoy and back. Usually swim warm up makes me feel better- but man did I feel like puking with nerves. I think not getting in the water since my 70.3 relay the week before had left me a little sore too. Eventually worked out the kinks.
Swim
  • 13m 52s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Slow swim split for me. Maybe it was the overwhelming urge to vomit due to the fear of the mtn bike and run to come. It was a gorgeous swim through a narrow canyon. I was taking it a little easy since I knew I would need everything I had for the bike and run.
What would you do differently?:

Swim in the week leading up to the event.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

should have eaten a GU or something before leaving- time saved was more than lost later.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 34s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 9.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow- I really enjoyed the bike. Kept it pretty mello since I knew I didn't have the training to back up a harder effort. The course was gorgeous- just a ton of fun rollers. I found everyone very polite about passing etc. I did get off to have a GU at one point- which wasted a lot of time. I also came off near the end and landed on my face giving me a bloody nose. I was trying to figure out if my rear tire was low on air like it felt and crashed. Took me a little to shake it off.

Practice eating GU on the bike. More mtn bike handling practice. Just more fitness training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Slow for me- took a little time to try and wash the blood off my face before the run. Which was needed.

Not fall off my bike?
Run
  • 1h 03m 57s
  • 8 kms
  • 07m 53s  min/km
Comments:

This was the leg of the race I was most nervous about- and actually the one that I think went the best based on expectations. I think leaving something in the tank on the earlier events was key. I knew I was not trained so I planned to just walk the uphills and run the flats and downs. This strategy worked really well for me- based on my fitness. My right calf was pretty cramped up after my bike crash- so I don't think I could have run uphill if I tried. My whole legs were cramping up pretty good as I finished- so I think I aligned my effort pretty well to the length and didn't leave much on the course, but was still able to finish running.

Run more and do some hills leading up to it. Plan to do the race more than 2weeks in advance.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, ate a burrito, got a massage and walked back to transition to get my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Total lack of fitness and mtn biking this year. Overall I am pleased with the results since I took my injured husband's spot right before the race- and was not planning on it.

Event comments:

This race was awesome- I am already wanting to do another off road triathlon. The after party was a ton of fun and I met so many nice helpful people. I really enjoyed my first off road triathlon and definitely want to do more.

Last updated: 2013-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:52 | 880 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/201
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:34 | 12.2 miles | 9.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:57 | 08 kms | 07m 53s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-11 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: XTERRA Lory Triathlon

2013-08-11 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4826190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: XTERRA Lory Triathlon
Great race and welcome to XTERRA!  I did my first a few years ago and am doing three this year to take a break from road tri.  Very cool vibe and friendly folks out there too.  Too bad about the fall.  This was a tough bike course to take in nutrition and pass because of the narrow single track.  I nearly wiped out numerous times.  I was in the Timex tri top if I passed you on the bike, pretty sure I thanked everyone during those tough passesLaughing.  Glad you had a good time!
2013-08-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4826190

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Way to get back up after the spill. What a competitor. With the proper training plan, you'll go out and crush it next year. Way to go. 1:35 is a pretty amazing swim split.
2013-08-14 8:42 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Nice job! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Lory Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA Lory Triathlon

Started by FF Stock
Views: 983 Posts: 2

2013-08-11 9:00 AM Moonrocket

XTERRA Lory Triathlon

Started by indianhillsted
Views: 1693 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 9:33 PM StMaas

XTERRA Dirty Grizzly Off-Road Triathlon - XTERRA Course

Started by sgillen
Views: 1357 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 10:48 AM sgillen

Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road Triathlon

Started by desertsix
Views: 1467 Posts: 4

2006-06-06 4:41 PM PirateGirl

Xterra Challenge Triathlon

Started by supplymtnbkr
Views: 1182 Posts: 3

2004-06-14 4:05 PM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Wetsuit guide for triathletes - manufacturers, sizing and maintenance.