General Discussion Race Reports! » 4th Annual Women's Only Tryathlon Sport Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

4th Annual Women's Only Tryathlon Sport Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lincoln, Nebraska
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 16s
Overall Rank = 2/40
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

I liked the idea of this race -a women's only race. Not much info out there on how many have competed in this race before, or how they performed (I.e. no race results anywhere that I could fine). I had no idea if I would be up against some super fast women, or mostly women who hadn't much experience with the 3 sports. I did recognize one younger gal from the Cornhusker State Games from the month before (and who beat me there and at this race). So for future women who may race, this year there were roughly 40 women who competed in the Sport Category - the longer of the 2 races with actual medals given out. Age groups in 10 year increments, so 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 etc. USAT rules meant I got to race with the 40-49 year olds despite still being a young 39. There were 20 women in the 30-39 age group, a very popular and competitive division at races I have learned over the last several year.

Woke up at 5:45. Got dressed then ate 3 graham crackers and one low fat string cheese. Left for race. Drank 2 Crystal Light Energy beverages to counteract my late night of drinking alcohol, and then peed the equivalent volume in the port-a-potties over the next 1.5 hours.
Event warmup:

I did a couple high knees and butt kicks.
Swim
  • 04m 56s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

No wetsuit for this race. Finally confident enough to go without it and I swam great! Super happy about that. The SE wind created very small waves which we mostly swam with. Lined up at the front of my wave. Had some contact with a breast stroker at the start but once past her I didn't have much contact with anyone.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Had a really good swim. Would have been nice to draft off someone, but I enjoyed just swimming w/o much concern of keeping track of who is around me. Breathing was good, every 3 strokes. Probably could have pushed the speed more and breathed every 2 strokes and still been ok but still learning.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Totally guessing on transition time as there were not timing chips/mats for the race. This transition always seems so slow for me. Didn't help that my helmet, glasses and race belt had fallen off my bike during the swim portion and I had to look for them in transition. Took a swig of Cytomax before taking off on the bike.

Hit the stop button on my watch instead of Lap - realized it when I was on the bike and hit the stop button to start timing again. Dang it! Not sure how long I was in TA1. No timing mats for this race.
Bike
  • 18m 15s
  • 6 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Chose not to take any food/beverage out on the bike course - with it being so short there really was no need for it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Took a swig of Cytomax before heading out. Again, guessing on the time from my watch.

I think I need to improve on the bike racking. I put the bike in backwards and hung it by the front of the seat. I think next time I should go front first and hang by handlebars.
Run
  • 16m
  • 2 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

Grabbed a water glass at the start of the race. This was a mistake as I it did not sit will in my stomach. The wind kept me cool - which was very nice. Ran hard enough that I was breathing hard. It's good that I'm learning to push myself on the run. I think I can still run faster. Just need to get there mentally.

Push a little harder. Skip the water.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate 1/2 a bagel and a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just mental blocks, and probably some training (or lack of).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:56 | 300 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/40
Performance: Good
Holy cow, that was a fast swim for me. I wonder if the distance was right? I mapped it off my Garmin and it has it just a shade shy of 300 M, so 300 yard is probably correct.
Suit: DeSoto 400 mile shorts, Moving Comfort top
Course: Wave start. Straight course. Started 300 M out and swam straight to the beach. No turns. Very nice. Warm water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:18:15 | 06 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 1.5 mile loop course 1/2 on bike trail, part on road through park. Some pretty good cracks in the bike trail that you really had to be careful of. Tight 90° turns (4 per lap).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:00 | 02 miles | 08m  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on crushed limestone trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-08-11 1:01 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: 4th Annual Women's Only Tryathlon Sport Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 4th Annual Women's Only Tryathlon Sport Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

3rd Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon

Started by owlgirl
Views: 1032 Posts: 1

2007-10-01 8:48 PM owlgirl

4th Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon

Started by ohiee
Views: 1179 Posts: 2

2007-10-08 7:53 PM elheffe99

Started by ginac007
Views: 1167 Posts: 5

2006-10-14 7:44 PM ginac007

Started by jgoetz
Views: 955 Posts: 2

2006-10-02 11:50 AM lawyerchick

Started by ohiee
Views: 1168 Posts: 1

2006-10-01 10:01 PM ohiee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
The purpose of the annual exam is to identify predisposing medical concerns that potentially can distract or diminish the training effectiveness of the triathlete.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Each year at the ACSM annual meeting, these experts present their latest research. Here’s a small sample of the sports nutrition news for 2007.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Ron
Different ways to use and combine the detailed performance member training plans for a complete, annual season. You will be pleasantly surprised by your results on these plans.
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.