General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss ... hi-intensity training - a bad recipe? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-11 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Weight loss ... hi-intensity training - a bad recipe?

From a weight standpoint I've been fairly static for a while, and so I'm fairly frustrated due to my level of training.  So for the past 3 weeks I've been on a pretty balanced diet; 1600 cals per day; a good mix of fruit, veggies; 20g proteins to 14g carbs.  Still, the same story ... weight is basically the same.  I do measure and have noticed some improvement, so while frustrated - I do see some progress.

My question revolves around hi-intensity training and weight loss.  Is this sort-of a chicken and the egg deal, wherein the hi-intensity training inhibits the weight loss AND, because of the weight my performance lags?  Does the hi-intensity training work to stunt weight loss?  Is it better to focus exercising at the zone 2-3 fat burning level, lose the weight, and ramp up the training intensity the closer I get to my weight goal?  It's really frustrating to be stuck in this cycle wherein I don't see improvement (or minimal) no matter how hard I work. 

2013-08-14 3:58 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: RE: Weight loss ... hi-intensity training - a bad recipe?
I think there is no answer for all as this can be pretty individual.

Some might loose well with high intensity training, some not.

For myself I usually only loose well (or rather at all) during the off season. I have been eating pretty clean the last 2 months and I am during my peak training and I have not lose a single pound!! I measure and weight everything I put in my body and with a Bodybugg I know the approximate calories that I burn and I have a constant deficit but I do not loose. But I am also constantly "sore" or rather I have tired muscles and probably retain quite some water....
This is my only explanation.

So for me the answer is YES. High intensity training and weightloss does not fit together....
2013-08-15 6:39 AM

User image

question - even if you aren't losing weight, are you seeing any visible differences in how your clothes fit? I use that as my guideline for how i am doing. I do roughly about 1600 calories a day - up it to about 2000 depending on my workout - but I do use a calorie tracker that I can input exercise in.

while I have stayed roughly the same weight the last 4 months (approx 152-154) - I have gone from a 8/10 in my skirts, to an solid 8 and now to a 6/8 depending on the style/brand - so I know that while I might not have lost weight per say, I have lost body fat/gained lean muscle
2013-08-21 5:58 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
I do notice a bit loser fit in some clothes, so yes there must be some swapping between muscle gain and fat loss ... it's just very frustrating to see the scales read the same day in day out with all the work I've put in.  Thanks for the comments.
2013-08-26 11:36 AM

User image

Hutchinson, Kansas
I am like a roller coaster. Off season I first gain weight and then I take it off the closer to my season starting. During my training I cannot seem to lose any. After a hard workout I am so hungry. I do notice that even though I stay the same weight my clothes fit loser.

My biggest hurdle isn't my workouts but hydration and nutrition. I am HORRIBLE. I cramp up on longer races. I need to find a good nutrition plan and stick to it. I don't have the time to prepare meals like I should so I want something simple that works (like everyone else). I love grilled chicken, broccoli, all kinds of nuts but to sit down and create a menu and stick to it is hard. My typical weight loss comes from Nutrisystem because it is simple and works great for me. If I could just get something like that that is fresh I would be set !!! Anyone have any simple recipe sites for a lean diet?
2013-08-27 9:10 PM
in reply to: mykmiller

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
I have never heard that high intensity work inhibits weight loss. Actually, the opposite is true. Even last week I had a friend come to me and ask about running to loose weight, I directed him towards High Intensity Interval Training and weight lifting.

2013-08-27 10:02 PM
in reply to: ipull400watts

I lose weight faster with the longer slower slogs, but its mind numbingly boring. Calorie burn tends to be more proportional to the duration of the exercise, rather than the intensity (ie, a 90 min long run versus 30 min of intervals). That being said, I always try to get in one HIIT workout a week on the run and bike (so two a week). Helps build my pace so that the longer runs cover more distance, and I feel like I'm progressing.
2013-09-02 7:28 AM
in reply to: VGT

“Weight loss “a big problem. It’s not easy to lose weight. Lots efforts required.
2013-09-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4826364

User image

Extreme Veteran
I find high intensity training just peels the weight off of me. I am going back to spinning this fall - last time I did it consistently, I dropped about 20 pounds without thinking about it. Low intensity does nothing for my weight,
Best,
Nancy
2013-10-07 4:57 PM

Expert
Golden, CO

In the off season my coaches have always directed me to high intensity training and weights to lose weight. In fact at my current weight of 235 I am just starting a plan with shorter but higher intensity workouts as well as weight training to get some fo this fat off of me before base training starts in January.

Of course right now walking around the block feels high intensity..ugh.

2013-10-08 11:29 AM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
First, Identify what you really want to accomplish. Do you just want some stupid device to change it's display for you? Or do you want to get lean? (which can happen without any weight loss). A million times over, I'd recommend high intensity and weights over long and slow for getting lean. If you're happy with being lighter, and maybe even smaller but still soft and squishy then long and slow can work fine if you're on the money with your diet. In either case, I've never heard of high intensity compromising weight loss.

2013-10-11 7:27 AM

User image

That calorie intake actually seems on the really low side....What made you choose 1600? How many hours a day are you training?

Susan
2013-10-11 2:18 PM
in reply to: sharrell

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by TriNCook

That calorie intake actually seems on the really low side....What made you choose 1600? How many hours a day are you training?

Susan

x2 on the above. Reduction in calories is not the only thing that helps with losing weight. If you are working out and not eating enough that can be detrimental to your health as well. I worked with a nutritionist while training for some of my races. I was consuming anywhere from 2900-3400 calories a day and averaging 5-7hrs of working out a week and the weight came off and off and off. I averaged about 1-1.5lbs a week. Do not be all consumed with weight on the scale but I would echo what others have said about your clothes fitting better and how your body looks. What are you eating and how much do you workout?
2013-10-14 12:26 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

I'll throw my .02 in on this. Started In late July down 30 lbs. I'm eating 6 times a day and when I was eating too little the weight did nothing. I then moved it up and it was better. The real move was when I started to watch my hydration. It seemed the body was holding what it could until it felt it was going to get enough. I do both high intensity and long and slow.

Everyone is different, I know people that have lost huge weight with just walking and eating clean. So anything is possible.

Joe
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss ... hi-intensity training - a bad recipe? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running bad for weight loss?

Started by slhayes
Views: 2507 Posts: 8

2013-05-10 3:34 PM flossybach

Confusion about training intensity and weight loss

Started by jph35609
Views: 1729 Posts: 16

2007-06-17 2:00 PM MikeTheBear

weight loss and muscle loss

Started by damienmalone
Views: 1094 Posts: 6

2006-12-15 5:25 PM elektra

Weight Loss vs Weight Training

Started by Clintjc1
Views: 3470 Posts: 20

2014-08-08 3:22 PM capp16

Fat loss, not weight loss

Started by pds0006
Views: 1218 Posts: 3

2005-08-30 11:28 AM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.
date : December 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.