General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Trimemphre - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon Trimemphre - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Magog, Quebec
Canada
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 8s
Overall Rank = 350/412
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/36
Pre-race routine:

My first tri! I got butterflies in the stomach the moment I signed on and they pretty much stayed with me since. I said to my hubby : Take lots of pictures, cause I don't know if I'll be doing this again. He laughed at me and said, yeah, right! (He knows me well).

Got up at five, prepared breakfast to-go for the troops - hubby and kids were coming along today! PB & banana on toast, fruit juice and coffee. Drove 1.5 hours to Magog, on a beautiful morning! Stood in line for packet pick-up, body mark & chip, and to access transition. Set-up transition and took the time to figure out the ways in and out. All pre-race meetings and start time were delayed but I did not mind, as I just realized I forgot my water and PowerAde bottles for the bikein the car, yikes!! My favourite Sherpa (DH) was quick to go and recover them. Hit porta-potty and went close to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Entered the water a few minutes before start and swam a little. Water was freezing at first but once acclimated it was perfect. I am used to training in a cold river, so this was good for me. There was a little wind, and some waves, but no chop. I watched a few groups for their start and cheered them on.
Swim
  • 19m 57s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

After the fiasco in Drummondville (let's just say 1st time in open water, 60 degree water, 1st time in wetsuit, chest cold) This time, no wetsuit (they were allowed) and I had practiced ALOT in a river near home. This time I was ready. The water was very shallow for the first and last 200m. I felt amazing in the water, slow but comfortable all the way. I absolutely loved this swim!
What would you do differently?:

Dolphin dive at the start and at the end to make up for shallow water. Swim a little harder on the last half.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

(Official resultats have T1, Bike and T2 all included in bike time. Separate times for those I took from my Garmin) It may not add up perfectly.
We had a fairly long run to TI. Once at my spot, I think I was pretty efficient and no time was wasted. Bike shoes on, sunglasses and helmet and off I went. Pretty pleased for a first time, without practice.

em, nothing really.
Bike
  • 44m 53s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.83 km/hr
Comments:

A very nice bike course, packed with volunteers, cheering fans and police cars at intersections. A section of the course was not closed to traffic but it went well. Not a hilly course but some ups and downs. Legs were numb after the swim, it took a couple of kms to wake them up. Almost at the end instead of doing a complete out and back we to a right and went down Chemin Southière. I hit 71.2 km/hour Wheeeeeeeeeeee! Loved it!!! I took one gel at 3/4 of the course, drank a little but both my bottles were almost full when I came back. I feel this was perfect for me.

I think I paced well. I feel I could have pushed more, but as you'll see further on I'm not a runner so I was trying to save some for the run. So I guess maybe push harder next time, just to see :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Again a while was spent running to and from rack. Once there I took off bike shoes, put on run shoes, switched helmet for running hat, grabbed my number belt and put it while running. Oh, I also took a gel and put it in my pocket but that was unnecessary.

Not take that gel for the run. Buy some of those quicky shoe laces... other than that, I don't see.
Run
  • 34m 39s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

Oh, the DREADED run... I am not a runner, although I worked hard on my run the last couple of months. Still I am super pleased with how this one went, given my usual run abilities (or lack thereof). The pace was a little faster than what I am used to but I kept going and the cheering crowds were helping A LOT! Also there was a small hill about half way of the course, I am not used to train on hills as my surroundings are very flat.

That one is simple : run more. The end. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Regrouped with my troops, donated my 2 pieces of watermelon to my kids (yeah they worked hard too, following me around T1 and T2 to give me high-fives!), found a nice spot in the shades, stretched out and ate lunch. Perfect!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My general newbie-ness, my lack of run abilities.
And of course, train more to swim and bike faster, d'uh :)

Event comments:

This was my first tri ever and I had A BLAST!!! A very humbling experience and a great race. I really want to do it again next year and compare. These conditions will be hard to beat though, they were perfect!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:57 | 750 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 0/412
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: 1 loop following the white buoys
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:10
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:53 | 20 kms | 26.83 km/hr
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop, almost an out and back except for the last couple of kms. No water stations on the bike course but I guess this is usual for a sprint.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:39 | 05 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop through a nearby residential area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-11 11:24 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Triathlon Trimemphre - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Trimemphre - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon Trimemphre - Sprint Course

Started by demf19
Views: 902 Posts: 1

2012-09-26 3:04 PM demf19

Triathlon Trimemphre (Sprint)

Started by verdilan
Views: 1179 Posts: 1

2009-08-06 7:46 PM verdilan

Started by rlejeune
Views: 2133 Posts: 18

2009-07-28 11:45 AM ceilidh

Started by caro11
Views: 1277 Posts: 3

2009-08-06 8:00 PM verdilan

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by van_paulus
Views: 2119 Posts: 2

2006-07-03 7:48 AM drdi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.