Canada
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 5s
Overall Rank = 181/505
Age Group = 60-64
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Routine a little different today because we drove from home. Up at 4:00; 15 minutes of yoga; lemon juice, green juice, coffee; took Buckwheat (raw) oatmeal to eat in car along with beet juice and hemp drink for race site. Planned to do dynamic stretching, warmups, etc at race site but as anticipated, didn't get done because too many friends to talk to. Fortunately, my body was in good form; loose, yet strong and stable.

Only got to sip a bit of hemp drink - may or may not have had an impact. Had energy, but thought I would be stronger on the bike.
Event warmup:

Got a 1km walk w/u with Colleen and a couple of run drills. But did get a good swim warmup with Colleen and Tracy. Swam 500 meters to the race start. It was good and quite fun.
Swim
  • 13m 30s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

About 100 in wave. Decided to push on this race and went out hard but I can only do this for about 80 meters and then start to lose control of breathing so had to pull back and took a bit to get breathing under control, but then able to put some effort into it again and felt I was having a decent swim, so was quite surprised to see the time, having no idea what I did 'wrong'.

However, looking at stats later for the dozen or so people who I know and past results for a few others, saw that everyone's time was slower by 10" per 100/meters to 25 seconds per 100 meters. That made more sense to me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing in the race - just need to start practicing some fast swimming endurance in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

1st out of 13. Finally got my game back!

Nothing. Finally a good transition
Bike
  • 39m 58s
  • 20 kms
  • 30.26 km/hr
Comments:

Another good bike for me, although tougher than TTF. No coasting with hills or help from tail winds, and no letting up at all. Just pumping those legs for 20km.

Got up to over 30km per hour immediately and road with left foot on top of shoe as planned for about 1km when convenient to put it into shoe.

Good dismount too, able to grab bike with one hand and actually run down tiny hill and to the bike rack rather the the walking/pushing that I have been doing in the past.

Forgot the straw for my aero bottle but thankfully had a regular size plastic straw from my hemp drink which I thought would work, but it was pretty useless - way too short. Managed to get 3 sips of water over the course but not enough.

Use a checklist.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

4th out of 13. Much improved but needs to be under 1min.

Shoes aren't really easy to get on even with E-Z laces. Different shoes for next year.
Run
  • 32m 30s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 31s  min/km
Comments:

Thought maybe I compromised my chances of being able to even run with the hard effort on the bike, let alone improve my run, but turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought even though couldn't improve the pace over last race.

It was a harder run course than TTF plus didn't have to work as hard on the bike at TTF.

My legs were moving quickly enough and my breathing was OK. After 1st 2 km, my pace was 6:20. Saw some younger athletes from clubs run by and seeing them run reminded me to lift my knees more and have a better 'kick' and the next km was pace was 6:06. Great. However, as we got to the trail, and down a very short, steep, grass section, I braked going down and into the woods and then seemed to have difficulty running on the trails and board walk. Not a lot of roots and rocks but some and I seemed to be tip toeing through the woods and over cautious I guess, not wanting to fall again. Thought the trail running would never end and getting up the steep hill out of the woods was tough. My pace for 4th km was 6:40.

Thought I was running faster on the home stretch, back on pavement but my pace showed 7:01. I think they got the 4th and 5km makers wrong because I was definitely pushing it on the last km and down the finish chute a really good sprint.

Really don't know what I could do differently. Just need more practice with the run off the bike in races and continue to build a decent running base. Still really a newbie to running. Last year was first year back at running and most of it was walk/running.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walking around the race site as usual. Stayed for prizes and awards since they had awards 5 deep. Got a bottle of wine and a nice wooden plaque.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. Am quite happy that I have reached a point where I can do a sprint and have no stiffness, soreness, tiredness from it.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed this event and would definitely do it again. Really fun racing an all women event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:30 | 500 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 199/505
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Straight course along shoreline in deep water.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:58 | 20 kms | 30.26 km/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 97/505
Wind: Little
Course: An out and back flat course, along Lake road and North Service Road between the lake and highway. Alot of open riding where wind could be a factor but fortunately little wind today although some because you could see faster paces when riding in and out of town. Was riding on the road which was quite bumpy but found that the 'bike' lane was smooth riding, which means faster riding, so stuck there whenever possible.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:30 | 05 kms | 06m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 200/505
Performance: Average
Course: Some road, some trail running through woods with a couple of hills and one steep one getting out of woods.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-12 6:42 AM

Master
Kitchener
Subject: Iron Girl Canada

2013-08-12 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4826651

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Canada
Congrats on a great race!! I heard it was a good one :D
2013-08-12 7:29 PM
in reply to: pilot_e

Master
Kitchener
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Canada

Originally posted by pilot_e Congrats on a great race!! I heard it was a good one :D

Thank you very much!   What a nice surprise to see someone had left me a comment.    I really enjoyed the event and would definitely do it again.   

I actually visited your log a few days ago after seeing a comment left by you on the forum re Iron Girl.    Saw the notes you made from the swim coach and the comment on don't do a 'Princess paddle' made me laugh and think of me.    I think that's how I've been swimming.     Time to put some muscle into it. 

Read your race reports and see the great progress you have made.    Very well done considering you are new to the sport and really haven't got alot of swim, bike or run mileage yet.   You're going to be a really strong biker.  

I've added you as a friend.    Always good to know other triathletes in the city.   Hope to meet up some day.   

Anne

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Canada Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Iron Girl Canada

Started by Dental mom
Views: 1020 Posts: 1

2013-08-11 9:59 PM Dental mom

Iron Girl Boston

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1716 Posts: 12

2006-07-11 12:35 PM isis54

RYKA Iron Girl Boston - 5K

Started by EmilyG
Views: 1566 Posts: 15

2006-07-10 3:17 PM RedCorvette

Iron Girl Boston - 5K

Started by em73
Views: 1231 Posts: 6

2006-07-10 6:03 AM possum

Iron Girl

Started by kmacbug15
Views: 791 Posts: 3

2005-11-06 2:54 PM canadarn2001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
How to train for hills when you don't have any hills to train on

date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Team BT
My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.