World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 49m 29s
Overall Rank = 724/1580
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 82/135
Pre-race routine:

So when I signed up for this race, the goal was to set a solid PR at the HIM distance, along with a solid bike PR at the HIM distance. Neither of these should have been a problem, until my left knee developed minor issues while on vacation a month before the race, and then serious issues as I continued to run on it 10 miles a week. Two weeks before the race I could barely walk back to the car during a hike, so I decided to shut running down and take four Aleve everyday for two weeks, which had cured a similar issue in the past. On the Friday before the race, I went for a 4 mile run and felt OK, so I figured I'd give the race a shot, and drop out somewhere along the way if my knee couldn't make it through. But a relatively mediocre training buildup to begin with had turned to seriously undertrained on the run, and moderately undertrained on the bike and swim, so both my original goals were in question as I headed up to Boulder.
Event warmup:

Drove up the Saturday before and checked in quickly, before the big storm hit, then stayed at a hotel 15 minutes away. Race morning got to the reservoir around 5:30, had a simple breakfast of Pop Tarts and Gatorade. No issues setting up transition, then hung around the start on a beautiful morning.
Swim
  • 36m 37s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Intended to seed myself in the 40-42 minute wave, based on my time in St.George in May and lack of good swim training, but wound up on the wrong side of the rope in the 38-40 group. Then put in a reasonably strong swim, deciding to push fairly hard since the run was in question and I needed all the help I could get from the swim and bike. I usually swim breathing every stroke, but decided to push some portions at every other breath, which I think sped things up.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate a little better on the last inbound leg - I was aiming for the finish arch the whole time and probably would have done better sighting off the buoys and sticking closer to them. Otherwise, exceeded expectations.
Transition 1
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Maybe a bit better than usual for a T1 for me, but nothing to be proud of.

Consider body glide on ankles and wrists.
Bike
  • 2h 37m 21s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.32 mile/hr
Comments:

My best ride in a race to date - felt strong the whole way, never really took a break, stayed in aero as much as possible. I really enjoyed this ride, the weather was perfect (Garmin recorded between 63 and 79deg), very little wind, and the air was crystal clear - just a beautiful morning for a bike race. Probably pushed beyond my training level a bit (172W avg, NP 189), but again was uncertain about the run and felt good, so I decided to see how much of a bike PR I could set for a HIM, turned out the answer was about 8 minutes.

Need to corner faster, part of my plan to get more courage on the bike this summer. Still lots more work to do.
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Nothing special.

Decided to roll my socks to put them on faster, but couldn't figure out which way was up, so had to unroll them anyway. Maybe next time.
Run
  • 2h 28m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Rather than let me off the hook by acting up and preventing me from finishing, my left knee held up fine and thus I had no good reason to put this run out of its misery early. My worst run in a race to date - when trained, I should be able to run about 9:30's in mid-zone 2 at altitude, here I ran 11:30's in mid-zone 2. The lesson, as always - training matters, and I didn't have much in the month leading up to this race. I did follow my plan to stay in zone 2 rather than blow up by going higher, knowing that I probably had no business trying a half marathon on this day.

Avoid injury, mainly, but I have a rule that I'll always run the last two miles of a race , no matter what, which I didn't do here - disappointed with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Was quite beat after the race, so settled down with my family, and then got some food, which was really good. Then gathered my stuff and headed home, stopping at the gym for a soak in the hot tub after a long day. I was more tired and sore the day after this race than any previous HIM I've done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, especially on the run - that, and being a slow runner to begin with.

Event comments:

As for the race, the volunteers were fantastic, and the race execution and organization was top notch. As for me, not what I intended when I signed up for the race months ago, but I did manage to hit both my goals, although barely on the HIM PR, but solid on the bike PR. So I'm satisfied if not overjoyed, and glad that I made it through to the finish line despite the challenges getting there. Now for six weeks of solid training in an attempt to have a strong day at Savageman.

Last updated: 2012-11-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:37 | 1931 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 53/135
Overall: 541/1580
Performance: Good
Suit: Tyr Cat 5
Course: Two right turns
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:37:21 | 56 miles | 21.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/135
Overall: 418/1580
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Slightly rolling, lots of straight runs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:28:07 | 13.1 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 102/135
Overall: 724/1580
Performance: Bad
Average pace 11:28, average HR 145 - just pitiful.
Course: Two mostly dirt loops with some moderate uphills in first half, not many downhills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-12 10:45 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boulder
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by islandertek
Views: 1731 Posts: 1

2010-08-17 12:06 PM islandertek

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by llamaface
Views: 1725 Posts: 1

2010-08-15 2:29 AM llamaface

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by acefaser
Views: 2626 Posts: 7

2010-08-17 12:18 PM acefaser

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by trimama530
Views: 2966 Posts: 9

2010-08-12 9:54 PM trimama530

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by tribean
Views: 2649 Posts: 5

2010-08-11 3:02 AM tribean
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.