General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic zone, am i wasting my time? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-13 4:48 PM
in reply to: raybankid

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Aerobic zone, am i wasting my time?

Running:  Mostly Easy, sometimes hard.

Cycling:  Sometimes easy, sometimes hard

Swimming:  Mostly hard, sometimes easy.

2013-08-13 4:48 PM

User image

Pro

Running:  Mostly Easy, sometimes hard.

Cycling:  Sometimes easy, sometimes hard

Swimming:  Mostly hard, sometimes easy.

2013-08-13 11:24 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master

RE: Aerobic zone, am i wasting my time?

Nope.  I came back from an injury at the end of March (Ran a few times in Dec, Jan, none in Feb).  Since then, I have been running 5-6 days per week just easy.  I think I can count on 1 hand how many times I pushed a run in that time.  I had built to only a 12.5km long run by the time of my half iron race in mid-July because I was being cautious.  I ended up being able to run the 20km of the half iron in less than one minute slower than my open HM time.  It works.

2013-08-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Originally posted by bcraht

RE: Aerobic zone, am i wasting my time?

Nope.  I came back from an injury at the end of March (Ran a few times in Dec, Jan, none in Feb).  Since then, I have been running 5-6 days per week just easy.  I think I can count on 1 hand how many times I pushed a run in that time.  I had built to only a 12.5km long run by the time of my half iron race in mid-July because I was being cautious.  I ended up being able to run the 20km of the half iron in less than one minute slower than my open HM time.  It works.

sounds good to me. just got done with my training sesh today. dialing down the intensity. increasing volume slowly. looking forward to see where this takes me over the next 12 weeks. just want to make sure im taking the right approach to tri training. im new
2013-08-14 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
If you want to train using HR, then you need to test to establish your zones, not use an arbitrary formula. There are several formulae around and will all give you different results but at the end of the day, they will give results that work for some while being too high for others and too low for others. You need to train based on your physiology which means you need to test if you want to use HR to guide your training.

You can also use the conversation test as described earlier; if you can speak full setences, that's easy. If you're huffing and puffing, its not.

Also, if you have a run race result, run calculators can be used to give a good indication of paces for various intensities that you could also use.

Probably also worth nothing that treadmill paces can differ wildly so unless you are always running on the same one, thwn take the pace information with a grain of salt. Train by intensity and time.

As mentioned earleir, run lots, mostly easy, sometimes fast. For a beginner, that sometimes is often best just left for race day.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic zone, am i wasting my time? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Am I wasting my time Pages: 1 2

Started by sevrdhed
Views: 3037 Posts: 31

2013-03-06 3:39 PM KathyG

Feel like I am wasting away

Started by FELTGood
Views: 978 Posts: 8

2011-06-05 4:47 PM JoePetto

What the heck: Millions of people waste their time by jogging Pages: 1 2

Started by Photo Mike
Views: 4498 Posts: 47

2010-02-07 5:35 PM knewbike

determining max HR and aerobic zone training..HELP

Started by bmalik
Views: 978 Posts: 3

2010-01-27 7:33 PM AdventureBear

Aerobic Threshold, HR Zones, etc...

Started by Carl Carlson
Views: 2468 Posts: 8

2007-01-16 4:59 PM Micawber
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.

date : November 7, 2006
comments : 0
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : September 3, 2005
author : ChiRunning
comments : 1
“The absence of unnecessary effort,” means that if you don't do any more than is necessary (to accomplish an activity), you won't waste your energy and feel drained afterwards.
date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.

date : January 10, 2005
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.