Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 52m 36s
Overall Rank = 14/265
Age Group = Masters
Age Group Rank = 3/55
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:55, thought a bit about my wife's comment from last night... "you're getting up before 4 AM for A SPRINT"... said hmmm, why do I do this crap? That lasted a moment and then I proceeded to have my morning cup 'o joe and a bagel.

Got ready and headed out for the race about 4:45. Had a little over an hour drive to the site, got there did my last minute gear checks, pumped up the tires and walked over to packet pick up, body marking, and set up my transition.

I had a Hammer gel about 15 minutes before my swim start time and was sipping on some Hammer Fizz the whole time.
Event warmup:

None to speak of. After setting up transition I walked the ins and outs to get my bearing and then did a few quick laps in the pool to warm up a bit. That's about it.
Swim
  • 05m 13s
  • 274 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

10 / 55 AG (Masters)
48 / 265 OA

The swim wasn't too bad for me. Thankfully it seemed like everyone around me was pretty well seeded... I passed one and got passed by one so all things considered, not too bad. I came in 47 seconds faster than last year but I think that might be largely due to the different placement of the timing mat (see below)

They did set up the swim in the opposite direction this year and for the most part I thought it worked out well. We exited the pool at the end so there was no confusing if you were done or not. Last year you started at the end and exited in the middle of the pool which left a lot of folks wondering if they were done or not.

Also we went from the pool to transition a different way. It did make the distance a bit shorter but it added an additional obstacle (see T1).

Also of note is that I had some technical difficulties with my Timex Global Trainer... well more like I'm-an-idiot difficulties... I started my watch in the regular 'ol chronograph mode instead of multi-sport so basically all I had the whole time was a stopwatch. Duh!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. My swimming is not-so-good but admitting I have a problem is half the battle.... right?
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

6 / 55 AG (Masters)
27 / 265 OA

So T1 was set up a bit different this year. Last year you had to run the length of the pool deck, out a gate down a side walk and up a set of stairs to cross the street into the field where the bike racks were. This year you exited the pool deck much closer to the pool but you had to now run up a pretty steep (wet) grass hill to get into transition. I took my time because I had real fear of slipping on that hill.

Once in transition I got my helmet and sunnies on pretty quick, took a swig of my hammer drink, and put my shoes on, and off I went.

I decided to put my shoes on in transition instead of the flying mount. The "bike out" route has some pretty chunked up asphalt and gravel so I figured I'd save my feet the pain.

A bit slow for me, but I think the added time of being real careful on the hill and putting my shoes on explains it. Not horrible, but not great either.

Nothing really, I could've shaved a few seconds here or there but only at the expense of risking some type of injury.
Bike
  • 24m 48s
  • 8 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

6 / 55 AG (Masters)
18 / 265 OA

This is much more of a technical course with the speed bumps in the park and the hard, fast down hill into a 180 degree turn that brings you right back to an uphill, it is not really a hammer fest. Constant gear changes and breaking rules the day.

For some reason my legs felt a bit heavy and tired on the bike today. I didn't really taper for this race, but its also not like I did a hard week either so I don't know why I didn't have better bike legs today.

I rode as hard as I could and was able to pass several people on both laps so I figured that I was doing OK, I knew that I wanted to make sure I had some go juice left for the run, so I didn't push too hard especially since I was making ground pretty steadily.

This ride was actually 23 seconds slower than last year and I do feel like I've gotten a lot better on the bike, so I was a bit disappointed. But on the bright side on the first lap when we make the steep climb after the steep downhill, I did end up passing the guy who passed me in the pool so as of that point I was officially back to not being passed by anyone.

I didn't have my usual data due to my watch malfunction so other than the at-the-moment speed readout I had no idea how I was doing overall.

Again, not too much, if my legs felt better I'm sure I could've pushed harder, but the way I felt I think I did the best thing I could do for my overall race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

14 / 55 AG (Masters)
55 / 265 OA

I did do a flying dismount and it went fairly well. I knew I had a better line into transition and didn't have to worry about the rough spots that prompted me to put my shoes on in T1.

Dismounted and ran into T2 with bike in hand. I threw on my running kicks, grabbed another swig of Hammer, grabbed my bib belt and off I went.

I took 12 seconds off of last year so that's cool!

Nothing all went well. Could always be quicker, but I'll take it.
Run
  • 20m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

2 / 55 AG (Masters)
8 / 265 OA

So they changed the course a bit from last year... its basically the same but there was a small change to how you got to/from the lake path. More on this latter.

Out of transition I felt pretty good. My poor "bike legs" didn't seem to translate into poor run legs, as I felt strong and ready to lay the hammer down on the run. As flat as the course is, I figured I'd start out running 6:30s and adjust as necessary. Again, I didn't have my watch working right, but at least there were mile markers on the course so I could tell what each mile was coming in at... not what I'm used to, but at least I had some feedback.

I came out of transition and did the little cross country route across the field and up the small hill. I went easy here since it was kinda crowded and the grass was wet. Once onto the path around the lake I just started pushing it, we do two laps before exiting back into the field for the finish so I knew that this is where I'd pick up my time. At the start of the first lap I felt very good and was chipping away at my overall placement, I passed about 4 or 5 folks before coming into the last turn, at that point I started to feel my diaphragm start to needle at me... this happens a lot to me and it happened last year as well, just not this soon. This slowed me down a bit but not too much at this point, mile one came in at 6:42, slower than I wanted but with the easy start and now battling my own body I figured not too bad.

As I crossed the start point for my second lap I was still running slower than I wanted as I was doing some some deep breathing to try to control the cramp. It really sucked too because my HR was down in the mid 160s and my legs were raring to go, but I just couldn't run any faster or else my cramp would've overpowered me. By the mid way point of the second lap I got the cramp under control and I picked up the pace. I salvaged the second mile in a respectable 6:49.

I was well off pace but at least at this point I was very fresh... the cramp was gone and my legs felt perfectly fine. Usually by mile 2 of a 5K I'm in just-hold-on mode. I really upped the pace for the last 1.1 miles in an effort to make up time. I dropped the hammer and ran nearly as hard as I could... I still wanted to save a bit for the final "kick" but I was running this last mile like I do most first miles so I really felt strong.

Unfortunately, the finish was set up different this year. Last year when you exited the path around the lake we run up a path into the field and then down a hill to the finish chute. I'd estimate that it was at least 200 meters or so once you left the lake path. This year when you left the lake path it was no more than 20 or 25 meters before the finish. This really kinda sucked because once I saw the cones leading me off the path I dropped into another gear and goosed up the pace even more for my final kick. To my surprise it only lasted for a few seconds... had I know the change I would kicked sooner. I should've figured the finish might be different since the start of the run was a bit different, but oh well. I didn't stop my watch at the mile 3 maker or the finish so I can only do the math which sasy my final 1.1 miles came in 6:32 which would equate to about a 5:55 pace for the last leg.

Know that the course changed so that I could put in my final kick sooner than 100 feet before the finish!

Not knowing the course cost me going sub 20 minutes in the run. I've only gone sub 20 in open 5Ks, never in a tri so it would've been nice to do that but in the end it was my own fault.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, got a fruit granola bar, stretched out, and chatted with some folks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heavy legs on the bike and the diaphragm cramp on the run. But in the end I was just shy of a minute faster than last year, so I can't complain about that.

Last year I came in 2nd in the Masters division and this year I was 3rd in the Masters... so there was some good competition, I went faster but finished lower! Glad to see that more folks came out for this race.

Event comments:

Another great race by Set-Up! This year had about twice as many people registered than last year so its good to see that its taking hold, it was a fun race and so long as logistics work out, I'll do it again next year.

Last updated: 2013-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:13 | 274 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/55
Overall: 48/265
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: 8 laps in an outdoor pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:47
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:24:48 | 08 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/55
Overall: 18/265
Performance: Below average
None due to my stupidity with my watch.
Wind: Little
Course: Basically two laps around the park and a perimeter road
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:03 | 03.11 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/55
Overall: 8/265
None, since I don't know how to work a watch.
Course: Up a hill out of T2, two laps around the lake, and a quick dart off the path to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-13 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: Druid Hill Park Sprint Triathlon

2013-08-13 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4827726

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Druid Hill Park Sprint Triathlon

Great race...almost sub-20 5K.  Wow.

Yeah, that finish was weird.  I wasn't planning on sprinting or anything but it was like "make the turn...oh, crap I'm done!".   Thanks for making the drive up to B-more!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Druid Hill Park Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Druid Hill Park Sprint Triathlon

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 1683 Posts: 10

2013-08-13 1:19 PM QueenZipp

Started by Sous
Views: 1460 Posts: 4

2012-08-17 7:49 AM dmbfan4life20

Started by epagelhogan
Views: 852 Posts: 1

2012-08-13 2:50 PM epagelhogan

Started by ericyoutz
Views: 1314 Posts: 1

2011-08-18 7:51 AM ericyoutz

Started by SR2518
Views: 949 Posts: 1

2011-08-09 5:26 PM SR2518
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 27, 2011
author : sdswriter
comments : 15
A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business

date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!