United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 39s
Overall Rank = 39/161
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Well I didn't have a whole lot of expectations for this race. To say I was coming in severely undertrained was a bit of an understatement. I hadn't swam since May of last year at last year's edition of this race. I've done very little running since mid-June due to an achilles injury. And bike rides have been few and far between. So really this was just a grand experiment to see how well I could do off no training. A grand, painful experiment.

I pulled myself out of bed in the morning after a lengthy debate whether to sleep in or not and made the drive to Ogden. Surprisingly I remembered how to set up transition and hadn't forgotten to pack anything. Spent the rest of the morning chatting with several old tri friends that I hadn't seen for awhile.
Event warmup:

Not having swam in over a year I decided it would be prudent to get in the water and flail around a bit. I made it out to the first buoy and knew it was going to be the longest 500 yard swim of my life.
Swim
  • 11m 13s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

At least mass starts are still kinda fun when you're out of shape. Got going and just tried to keep the arms moving. Sighting was okay and thankfully this race was somehow wetsuit legal (77.8 degrees they said) so I didn't have to work nearly as hard. Which was probably a good thing since I was fatigued pretty early on. But a 500 yard swim is still pretty short and it was really only 10 minutes of pain. Then the long run to transition
What would you do differently?:

Um, let's see, maybe swim at least once in the past 15 months
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

A little slow. Out of practice. Out of breath
Bike
  • 43m 52s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.59 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a nice change of pace after the swim. Took me awhile to calm the breathing a bit, but after that it was smooth sailing. Just settled in and enjoyed the morning. Pushed hard, but didn't feel overly taxed by the end

Don't know. Was fully expecting a faster split here. I guess train more
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Slow again
Run
  • 25m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh man I really didn't think this portion of the race was going to suck so bad. In the last week I had been doing a bit of running and that had gone well. I just couldn't get my heart rate under control until the second half of the run. I was seriously considering taking a walk break at the first aid station, but just couldn't bring myself to take a walk break during a 5k. I eventually recovered and didn't feel like complete and total poo by the end, but I was still pretty happy to be done.

not get injured
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. It's amazing the difference consistent training has on a race outcome. I was a little over 10 minutes slower than my best time at this race in years past. I guess I'm not one of those natural athletes who can have a stellar result with little effort. It takes consistent hard work. Like I said, this race was an experiment and at least now I know the consequences of coming in undertrained.

Event comments:

This is a great race. I've done it every year they have put it on. That's one of the other reasons I decided to come back this year. I needed to keep the streak alive. Hopefully when I continue the streak next year I will have trained a little more.

Last updated: 2013-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:13 | 500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/161
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Across the lake!
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:52 | 15 miles | 20.59 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:08 | 03.11 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-08-13 9:48 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint

2013-08-14 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4828513

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint

There are no "natural athletes' than can perform without consistent training. You did pretty damn good for little to no training, however. I am glad you sucked it up and did the race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint

Started by disturbed275
Views: 2660 Posts: 11

2010-05-27 7:38 AM rlejeune

Started by ersnyder3654
Views: 1246 Posts: 2

2010-05-24 8:33 PM disturbed275

Started by ngwade
Views: 1285 Posts: 2

2009-06-04 7:27 PM disturbed275

Started by disturbed275
Views: 2119 Posts: 7

2009-06-02 6:48 PM rlejeune

Started by skauffman44
Views: 1097 Posts: 1

2009-06-01 4:12 PM skauffman44
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.