United States
DRC racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

Well this is an unusual race and one I have wanted to do for a long time. When I lived in Plant City for somereason there was always something that prevented me from being able to do this one so I was excited. I drove up and got there right around 6pm when the registration opened. I have raced here manytimes before but alwaysin the AM early before all the beach goers get there so finding parking was a little backed up plus beach goers and boaters dragging huge boats all over the place.

I actually scored a pretty damn good parking spot and got my stuff then wnet back to the car and got my things to set up transition. I found some other Team RWB people wnd they were super nice. I just hung out and ate a laffy taffy and had some diet 7up. I sat in my car a bit and texted Wendi. Got my speed suit on and went and got in the water to cool off best I could and then just waited for the start.
Event warmup:

I swam a little
Swim
  • 08m 48s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Well you get what you train for. I felt like I was sprinting the whole time but I think this is my worst time ever at this venue. That said I was in the top 20 females out of the water out of over 100 so relative to the field not too bad. About 10 people passed me on the run to transition. Whatever. I swam hard enought o get a side stitch. The bottom line is my swim training has been crappy the last 2.5 years.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more often and more consistently
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Run up beach....these times are off my watch and is from the time I got out of the water until I left transition. Speed suit off helmet and glasses on (I had changed out my lens for the clear ones) and off I go. I had my shoes on the bike. Nothing remarkable

Be a better runner to get to transition faster :)
Bike
  • 29m 33s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I can say for the first time in 9 years of triathlon that I went too hard on the bike. I knew I had tailwind the first 5 and would have headwind coming back so I just hammered it. I had the side stich from the swim still and there it stayed. I made the first 5 miles in 13:34 which is over 22MPH. GO ME

I was still trying to kick it on the way back but as this is a twilight race we were required to have lights on the front and back of the bike. The light on the back is on my saddle bag no biggie. The one on the front I had on loosely because I had no intentions of leaving it on the bike and it was falling off after I made the turn. I grabbed it and was trying to fix it but its hard to do that when you are traying to crank it out over 20MPH into a head wind :)

Finally I just held onto the dumb thing. I was still making VERY good time on the way back until the last 1.5 miles. This is an open course and there were beachgoers all over the place probably wondering WTF they had gotten themselves into. The tranistion area is in the beach parking lot and some idiots decided that 8pm was just a DANDY time to go to the beach.....three cars of them towing a giant boat.....Pitiful I had slow down for CARS....in transition. They were swerving all over the place and didn't know how to handle a bunch of crazy triathletes in the middle of their beach. All of a sudden given the choices between death and going slower I was reduced to 15MPH :( sad socks. At 9 miles I was still at a great than 21 MPH average.

Put the bike light on better. Not much I can do about the traffic.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I have to put socks on so I just sat down and dried my feet and got the socks and shoes on then grabbed my hat and race belt. I also brought a bottle of water because I didn't want to put an aero bottle on the bike for a 10 mile ride and I knew I would not drink out of a cage bottle
Run
  • 37m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The REALLY pathetic thing about this run is that it didn't actually feel pathetic. I felt like I was running OK for me. I mean I KNOW my running is awful but its nto typically THIS awful. Only good thing I can say is that I did revesre split it because it took me almost 20 minutes to go frigging 1.5 miles. As usual everyone passed me, although the girl who won may age group had a team USA tri suit on so clearly she has either been to nationals or worlds or both so God bless her fast little butt she deserves the win.

If anyone has the answer to my running woes PLEASE let me in on it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, rinsed off. Originally they tols us awards wouldbe 5 deep and I was 5th in my AG so I was allexcited then I finish and they said "Oh sorry its only 3 deep" Screw that noise I got in the car and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As usall my run sucks, also crappy swim training the last 2.5 years.

Event comments:

I love this series and as I did my first tri there its near and dear to my heart :) Good times.

Last updated: 2013-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:48 | 440 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: TYR speed suit
Course: 3 sides of a rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:33 | 10 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:55 | 03.1 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-14 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Crystal River Twilight
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Twilight Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Crystal River Sprint Triathlon #3

Started by mbydalek
Views: 1383 Posts: 4

2005-09-05 3:25 PM G8RSAX

Crystal River Sprint Triathlon #3

Started by G8RSAX
Views: 2145 Posts: 16

2005-09-08 8:09 AM CindyK

Crystal River Sprint Triathlon #3 2005

Started by sue7013
Views: 1761 Posts: 14

2005-09-09 12:08 AM snikpos

Crystal River Triathlon

Started by sue7013
Views: 921 Posts: 3

2004-09-21 1:50 PM TriBarbie

Crystal River Triathlon

Started by G8RSAX
Views: 753 Posts: 3

2004-09-20 12:17 PM GatorJamie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 5, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on river swims, speedsuits, road bike at IMKY, FOP IM pointers, saddle positioning, run8/walk2 method, treadmill to outside running, heelstriking and HRM on race day.