General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many IRON Bricks? in training for IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-29 8:11 AM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: How many IRON Bricks? in training for IM
Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

I only completed the first 2 workouts and the second did not include a swim. BTW, this is what Joe Friel recommends in Training Bible. I did the last one two weeks before the race. I wish I would have gone longer to challenge my nutritional needs more and to have one more try to get the mix right. I believe the assessment that my bike killed me is probably correct. My goal was 6.5 hrs and I took 7:08 hrs, although 10 mins of that was changing a flat tire and 5 mins going to the bathroom. It was also windy as hell. I finished the bike more tired that I should have been. I could tell my nutrition was throwing me off already.

The first 1/2 marathon was great (I did it in under 2.5, which is what I wanted) then the wheels fell off. I was dizzy, wobbly, bloated and could only walk. I seriously considered pulling out. I chalk this up to some lack of preparation on the bike and not taking in the right nutrition. With about 7 miles to go I finally took a salt tablet and some coke (both of which I did not try in training, but I was desperate) and this literally resurrectd me. After that I was able to run the rest of the way in with the last 5K being an all out run since I felt so good. My goal was 14 hours and these issues (and a flat tire) resulted in a 14:50 finishing time.

Overall I'm stoked I stuck to it and finished but I feel I needed one more big brick to try out other nutrition options and to give me more bike/run time. Although, truth be told, I think if I would have figured out the sodium/caffeine solution at the half marathon I probably could have brought it in at 14 hours or better. I'll get it right next time...

You don't need one more big brick. Your nutrition was not your biggest problem (though possibly an issue--no way to tell). But you do sound like you need more biking. Just biking. Hard biking, long biking. Biking. Do some SHORT runs off the bike if you need to get some extra running done. If you really need to get a 'big day', then go over-distance on the bike (e..g, bike 120 or 130 miles).

2013-08-29 9:14 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I only completed the first 2 workouts and the second did not include a swim. BTW, this is what Joe Friel recommends in Training Bible. I did the last one two weeks before the race. I wish I would have gone longer to challenge my nutritional needs more and to have one more try to get the mix right. I believe the assessment that my bike killed me is probably correct. My goal was 6.5 hrs and I took 7:08 hrs, although 10 mins of that was changing a flat tire and 5 mins going to the bathroom. It was also windy as hell. I finished the bike more tired that I should have been. I could tell my nutrition was throwing me off already.

The first 1/2 marathon was great (I did it in under 2.5, which is what I wanted) then the wheels fell off. I was dizzy, wobbly, bloated and could only walk. I seriously considered pulling out. I chalk this up to some lack of preparation on the bike and not taking in the right nutrition. With about 7 miles to go I finally took a salt tablet and some coke (both of which I did not try in training, but I was desperate) and this literally resurrectd me. After that I was able to run the rest of the way in with the last 5K being an all out run since I felt so good. My goal was 14 hours and these issues (and a flat tire) resulted in a 14:50 finishing time.

Overall I'm stoked I stuck to it and finished but I feel I needed one more big brick to try out other nutrition options and to give me more bike/run time. Although, truth be told, I think if I would have figured out the sodium/caffeine solution at the half marathon I probably could have brought it in at 14 hours or better. I'll get it right next time...

You don't need one more big brick. Your nutrition was not your biggest problem (though possibly an issue--no way to tell). But you do sound like you need more biking. Just biking. Hard biking, long biking. Biking. Do some SHORT runs off the bike if you need to get some extra running done. If you really need to get a 'big day', then go over-distance on the bike (e..g, bike 120 or 130 miles).

Nutrition was definitely an issue but you may be right about the biking. I should have focused more on the biking which is my weakest discipline. I'm not sure if I'm doing an Iron distance next year but if I do I will dramatically pump up the biking. Incredible how none of these issues were a factor at all at 70.3's. The Full IM is whole different animal. BTW, the race I did on Saturday was the Expedition Man Ultra triathlon in Lake Tahoe. Very well put together race.
2013-08-29 9:39 AM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Nutrition was definitely an issue but you may be right about the biking. I should have focused more on the biking which is my weakest discipline. I'm not sure if I'm doing an Iron distance next year but if I do I will dramatically pump up the biking. Incredible how none of these issues were a factor at all at 70.3's. The Full IM is whole different animal. BTW, the race I did on Saturday was the Expedition Man Ultra triathlon in Lake Tahoe. Very well put together race.

Remember that you don't have to just 'pump up the volume' on the bike. You can (and usually should) do a fair amount of hard riding in your training. The off-season is a great time to focus on that without having to do any 4-6+ hour rides.

The issues are largely the same in a HIM and IM. However, since the HIM is shorter, fatigue comes into play a bit less. And any 'mistakes' or issues are magnified more in the longer race (lots of time to walk after you 'blow up').

Congrats again on the race. Sounds like a good one and not easy with the altitude.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many IRON Bricks? in training for IM Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan

Started by ironcop17
Views: 10900 Posts: 18

2012-11-26 8:53 PM japewang

IM Training Plan - 'Be Iron Fit'

Started by amac
Views: 3690 Posts: 13

2008-08-14 5:50 PM amymengel

Half-Iron to Full-Iron training transition

Started by neb
Views: 1208 Posts: 6

2007-05-27 8:16 AM mprevost

IM Training Programs - Be IRON Fit

Started by utah
Views: 3007 Posts: 11

2007-04-30 3:39 PM ChrisinSeattle

1/2 IM bricks

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1115 Posts: 2

2005-04-12 6:35 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 10
Brick workouts are one of THE most important parts of training that you should be doing. Read why and find example brick workouts for any distance.

date : July 20, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Strategies for getting used to running off the bike when starting triathlon or taking on a new distance.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.