General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
USA Triathlon
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 48s
Overall Rank = 30/2677
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/151
Pre-race routine:

Walked about 1 mile from hotel to the race site carrying some of my gear (sherpa had the heavy stuff). Arrived at transition at 7:00, about 30 minutes before it closed, and set up all my stuff just so. Double checked that brakes weren't rubbing and were working properly and left with a couple minutes to spare. Then waited around for a few hours for my wave to start (about 9:25).
Event warmup:

Went for a little over a mile run with a couple pick-ups (ended up being about 7:16 pace overall) right about 40 minutes before my start. Just before that I put down a pouch of powerbar fruit smoothy thing, and just when I got back I had my hornet juice and put on my wetsuit and calf sleeves. Then took my gatorade pre-race drink with me to the swim start and took it down just a few minutes prior to getting in.
Swim
  • 19m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim went really well. I drafted off someone for the first 500-600 meters, then had a mini freak-out when I realized that I had no idea what pace we were going and I could easily be going way too slow, so I turned on the jets and set a goal to catch the next group up. The next "group" dissolved before I got there but I managed to pass most of them and found myself shoulder to shoulder with another guy for most of the rest of the swim. I didn't feel like drafting anymore so I just held my spot and tried to push a little. I wanted to be under 20:00 and I was surprised to actually get there, my swim training has been very inconsistent this year.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I tried a new strategy of pulling the wetsuit all the way off before I got to my rack. I figured that either way I have to do that standing still so there is no advantage in waiting, but if I get it off earlier I can fold it up while running and I will be lighter as I run. It worked well and I will do that every time from now on as long as the path is wide enough that I don't block anyone else when I stop (that is illegal). This gave me the 3rd best T1 in my division and 16th overall.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 56m 32s
  • 40 kms
  • 42.15 km/hr
Comments:

I reset my bike computer as I left transition so I would know what my average speed actually was (not including the slow jog through T1), I like knowing. I like getting out pretty quick and leaving the group behind to avoid any potential drafting situations and I did that without exerting too much energy. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful as I was able to maintain a very steady energy output and keep my speed up with (what felt like) a fairly comfortable effort. I stayed in aero for the entire ride except when descending fast or making sharp turns (for safety reasons) and felt like my setup was immune to wind, there wasn't much out there but I was riding a comfortable 27-28 mph pace into the wind as well as with it, I have never felt that "slick" before. Going up the last climb I had the Garmin find satellites and put it in my pocket.

Nothing, it was a dream ride. Actually better than my dreams, I would have guessed a 58 high would have been my best-case-scenario ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Nothing new, did what I have perfected over the past year and nailed it. No wasted time. 18th fastest in my division and 61st overall.

Nothing
Run
  • 40m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 04s  min/km
Comments:

I'm not a runner, this is easily my weakest part of the race. That being said I still wanted to go under 40 and I thought I would actually be able to duplicate my run from Rev3 Knox a few months ago and go in the mid 38 range. I felt throughout the ride that I was riding within my abilities and not pushing too hard but I learned VERY quickly on the run that I actually was riding pretty hard! My quads burned and every step hurt. It literally took all my will power to not stop and walk. I gritted my teeth and groaned my way through the most painful run of my life and ended up missing my sub 40 goal by only a few seconds. Actually my Garmin (and everyone else's) said the run was actually about 6.25 miles and my real 10K was actually 39:52, which is my second fastest ever so I can't complain too much. I thought I was going to be close to going under 2 hours and the entire run I kept thinking that I was letting my sub 2-hour OLY slip away. When I saw my final time I was the happiest man alive! I knew it was good but I didn't realize it was that good. I am still surprised.

Get better at running. I let about 5 guys pass me on the run I think and 285th overall run just sounds really bad for me. I need to step it up.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in front of an ice-mister fan for a while then went to find my results. Then jumped for joy and kicked my heels together when I saw my time and ran to find my little girl (13 months old) to run down the course a ways and cheer mommy in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably biked a little too hard, but I don't know that slowing down would have helped enough on the run to improve my overall time, so that's something I need to play around with.

Event comments:

The race started a little late and the men's 40-44 AG got screwed into waiting in the water for an extra 20 minutes. And the awards ceremony was around dinner time and took a long time to get going so I left before getting to see my friend get his award. I was starving. They need to do awards earlier. Other than that it was awesome, probably the most beautiful venue I've ever done.

Last updated: 2013-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:35 | 1500 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/151
Overall: 50/2677
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra sleeveless
Course: Loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:32 | 40 kms | 42.15 km/hr
Age Group: 5/151
Overall: 8/2677
Wind: Little
Course: Two different out and back sections with some long gentle-grade hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:07 | 10 kms | 04m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 59/151
Overall: 285/2677
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat and flatter. Probably the flattest run I've ever done.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-14 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

2013-08-14 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4829266

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance
My friend . . . that is one OUTSTANDING race. Worlds?

Great RR too. I like your idea on removing the wetsuit. If I try that and save 10 seconds or so, I'll only be 31 min and 50 seconds behind you!!
2013-08-14 6:11 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Wow! You crushed it. Congrats. It was a great day for racing. Good luck with the rest of your season.
2013-08-15 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Incredible race. Great job. I might be able to maintain a bike pace like yours but only if the entire race was downhill!
2013-08-15 2:18 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

WOW!  Really, WOW!

What an impressive race - and HUGE CONGRATS on making your goal of being under 2 hours!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by Live2ski
Views: 1551 Posts: 1

2013-08-13 9:17 PM Live2ski

Started by andyrph
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2013-08-12 3:27 PM andyrph

Started by Ershk
Views: 1908 Posts: 7

2013-09-16 8:02 AM sbrdave

Started by switch
Views: 3889 Posts: 25

2014-03-28 2:54 AM midwesttrimom

Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by nickster
Views: 1793 Posts: 6

2013-08-15 2:12 PM blueyedbikergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.