General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in Birmingham/Sicard Hollow Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-14 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Riding in Birmingham/Sicard Hollow
Hi ...moved here from Atlanta and just now getting back in to training after two plus years. I live out in Liberty Park and have been doing a loop using Sicard Hollow to Grants Mill to Old Overton and then back to Liberty Parkway. This is only 13 or so miles ...

Are there other established routes out on Sicard Hollow? I looked for paint on the blacktop but have not seen any ...

2013-08-15 5:13 PM
in reply to: brian

User image

Subject: RE: Riding in Birmingham/Sicard Hollow
Hey Brian,

I live in the Crestline Park area right now, moving to the Cotswolds within a month. There is a big ride everyday that starts at the Birmingham bicycle company. Not sure how far they ride or the loops they take, but I know they could help with routes from Sacred Hollow. I know a lot of people loop in Old Leeds Rd.

Hope that helps.
2013-08-15 7:36 PM
in reply to: Lumberjack

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Thanks, Jamie. Given the state of my legs and bike handling skills right now the thought of riding in a peloton makes me think 'broken clavicle. Glad to hear another cyclist is moving close to the 'hood. PM me when you make the move and I'll ride on your wheel up Sicard Hollow ...
2013-08-15 10:32 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by brian

Hi ...moved here from Atlanta and just now getting back in to training after two plus years. I live out in Liberty Park and have been doing a loop using Sicard Hollow to Grants Mill to Old Overton and then back to Liberty Parkway. This is only 13 or so miles ...

Are there other established routes out on Sicard Hollow? I looked for paint on the blacktop but have not seen any ...

You are right in the center of the riding in Bham. Tons of stuff there to do. Not much paint leading you on routes because people are all over those roads in all kinds of directions. Some ideas:

Once you hit Grants Mill you can come back, climb Belmont and come back Old Leeds. Or keep going over to Karl Daly and come back old Leeds. Or keep going on Rex Lake, go out towards Leeds on 78 (though most usually take Coosa Ave.to avoid the traffic on that hill on 78), take a right on 25 and come back Elliot, Ziegler (or Bailey), and back. Or keep going down 25 to Vandiver and back. Best climbs in the area there.

Or, another really popular route is, instead of heading left on Sicard Hollow, you can go right, do the Pumphouse climb, climb Overton to Woodridge and wind your way back to Liberty through the neighborhoods.

If you join Strava there are a ton of folks around that you can view their routes.
2013-08-18 7:51 PM
in reply to: sand101

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Awesome, thanks for the routes. Think I'll try it out.

I have not yet explored Strava but have heard good things. I guess it would be a more updated version of Map My Ride and therefore another route finding tool (been out off the circuit for 3 years, just getting back).

Love to ride. Cannot wait to get my legs back and then be able to hang on to a group ride.

Originally posted by sand101

You are right in the center of the riding in Bham. Tons of stuff there to do. Not much paint leading you on routes because people are all over those roads in all kinds of directions. Some ideas:

Once you hit Grants Mill you can come back, climb Belmont and come back Old Leeds. Or keep going over to Karl Daly and come back old Leeds. Or keep going on Rex Lake, go out towards Leeds on 78 (though most usually take Coosa Ave.to avoid the traffic on that hill on 78), take a right on 25 and come back Elliot, Ziegler (or Bailey), and back. Or keep going down 25 to Vandiver and back. Best climbs in the area there.

Or, another really popular route is, instead of heading left on Sicard Hollow, you can go right, do the Pumphouse climb, climb Overton to Woodridge and wind your way back to Liberty through the neighborhoods.

If you join Strava there are a ton of folks around that you can view their routes.
2013-08-22 5:39 PM

User image

Master

And the first time you go up Belmont on my suggestion and then decide to curse me on the way up - yeah, I deserve it. That one is a tough climb.

Awesome, thanks for the routes. Think I'll try it out.

I have not yet explored Strava but have heard good things. I guess it would be a more updated version of Map My Ride and therefore another route finding tool (been out off the circuit for 3 years, just getting back).

Love to ride. Cannot wait to get my legs back and then be able to hang on to a group ride.

Originally posted by sand101

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in Birmingham/Sicard Hollow Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Price Massage - Birmingham

Started by LostSheep
Views: 2507 Posts: 1

2010-10-08 7:46 AM LostSheep

Bike Ride in Birmingham

Started by jteddy39.3
Views: 2088 Posts: 4

2009-06-24 6:19 PM LostSheep

Anyone train at Birmingham YMCA?

Started by KrautFed
Views: 1632 Posts: 1

2006-09-19 10:50 AM KrautFed

Birmingham, AL - New Triathlon Club

Started by AerynSun
Views: 6172 Posts: 7

2008-01-21 9:15 PM stephen strange

Birmingham, AL

Started by hobwobble
Views: 1657 Posts: 3

2004-10-23 4:06 PM KSMITH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
I read an article that this type of pain comes from straining the neck, especially from riding a road bike. What can you tell me about this type of injury?