General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rental Race Wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-14 6:04 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Rental Race Wheels
I'm sure this has been asked many times before but do any of you have rental race wheel companies that you've had success with? I know Ironman partners up with a company but would love to hear of other companies some of you may have used.

I'm looking to rent some race wheels for IMAZ in November. Thx

2013-08-14 6:16 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Subject: RE: Rental Race Wheels

Mabye check with some of the local bike shops in the area.  I know where I live the prices the LBS offers are pretty reasonable.  $150 gets you a set of Zipp firecrests for an entire week...Wednesday to Tuesday. 

2013-08-14 6:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Jason N

Mabye check with some of the local bike shops in the area.  I know where I live the prices the LBS offers are pretty reasonable.  $150 gets you a set of Zipp firecrests for an entire week...Wednesday to Tuesday. 

Already struck out on that. My LBS is out of rental wheels the week of IMAZ. Sucks and I'm pretty sure there aren't any other shops that rent wheels in PHX. I will call around now that you mention it.
2013-08-14 6:28 PM

User image

When you mentioned that Ironman has partnered up with a company I assume that means tribike transport?  Any reason why you wouldn't go with them?  Looks like they'll be at IMAZ and along with the wheels, they do the installation and tuning for you.  Swapping cassettes and brake pads...both before and after the race at no extra charge.  They're right on location of the race so pickup and returns should be easy.

2013-08-14 8:47 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I used an outfit called Ironman Wheel Rentals when I did Boulder 70.3 in '11. They're Boulder-based, so it was really very easy to arrange, but I think they do a lot of arrangements where they ship the wheels to the renter. I've also used an LBS a couple of towns over.

I recently bought myself a nice pair of Flo wheels, so I'm no longer in the rental market.
2013-08-14 9:58 PM

User image

South Texas
http://www.racedaywheels.com/

I have rented from them twice and I have another rental scheduled. I have rented Zipp with powertap hubs. The wheels come a week early and are complete with tires, tubes, skewers. Just need a cassette and they're ready to go. When you're done put them back in the box and stick the pre paid label on and drop them off at a UPS drop center. They request Tuesday after the race.

They are the only company I've rented from but, because of their service, I have no need to rent from anyone else.

JWR

2013-08-15 12:08 AM
in reply to: jwrichey

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Originally posted by jwrichey

I have rented from them twice and I have another rental scheduled. I have rented Zipp with powertap hubs. The wheels come a week early and are complete with tires, tubes, skewers. Just need a cassette and they're ready to go. When you're done put them back in the box and stick the pre paid label on and drop them off at a UPS drop center. They request Tuesday after the race.

They are the only company I've rented from but, because of their service, I have no need to rent from anyone else.

JWR

X2. Just sent mine back from rev3 dells and was really happy with them
2013-08-15 6:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by jwrichey

JWR

I used the above company for Raleigh 70.3 in June. Overall it was a very smooth transaction. I did change my selection from a dsic to a 808 about 1 month prior to race day and they ok'ed that. On race week they sent me the disc and not the 808 so that was a bit of an issue, but not crazy serious.

In the past I have also used http://www.racewheelrental.com.

I used it when the shipped to you, but now they use affiliate shops which I imagine makes it even easier when going to out of town races. I will rent from both in the future.

Edited by qrkid 2013-08-15 6:23 AM
2013-08-15 7:42 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by devilfan02

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but do any of you have rental race wheel companies that you've had success with? I know Ironman partners up with a company but would love to hear of other companies some of you may have used.

HED has an on-site wheel rental program at some WTC races this year. I used them at Racine 70.3 and had great experience.

http://www.hedcycling.com/wheel-rental.asp

2013-08-15 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Tribe is out? Bummer.

Maybe the shops in Tucson might be an option...if your up to driving to Tuscum. : )
2013-08-15 10:28 AM
in reply to: PHXATC

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by PHXATC

Tribe is out? Bummer.

Maybe the shops in Tucson might be an option...if your up to driving to Tuscum. : )

Yeah, Tribe is out. I asked over a month ago and they were already sold out. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Raceday Wheels who usually travels to Tribe the week of IMAZ. I called but they're not coming out for the race this year. Strike 2...

I was able to find a local shop that rents wheels. I'm a newbie and still don't know all the various tri terminologies but they recommended I go with clinchers (Zipp 404's) because that's what I currently ride and am used to. They said I would have more options if I chose the tubular route. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding clinchers vs tubular?

2013-08-15 10:29 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Jason N

When you mentioned that Ironman has partnered up with a company I assume that means tribike transport?  Any reason why you wouldn't go with them?  Looks like they'll be at IMAZ and along with the wheels, they do the installation and tuning for you.  Swapping cassettes and brake pads...both before and after the race at no extra charge.  They're right on location of the race so pickup and returns should be easy.

I'm definitely going to look into them, just wanted to gather as many options as possible. Thanks again for your help!
2013-08-15 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
I have ridden clinchers for lots of years. After getting hit by a car this past June, I jumped into the tubular wheel world with Zipps (404/808) from Tribe.

Yes, tubulars probably are a beyotch to repair and change during a race versus clinchers. The only thing that sold me was the options, price, and reality that if there's a catostrophic tire failure like a cut or slice, it would ruin a clincher or tubular, no matter which one you had. Carrying Vittoria Pit Stop (and a preglued tire if you're really OCD) versus a couple of spare tubes and CO2 cartridges is a wash in my opinion.

There's tons of threads on it here and slowtwitch. If I were you, I'd stick with clinchers if that is what you're familiar with, unless you become tubular educated before November.
2013-08-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: PHXATC

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by PHXATC

I have ridden clinchers for lots of years. After getting hit by a car this past June, I jumped into the tubular wheel world with Zipps (404/808) from Tribe.

Yes, tubulars probably are a beyotch to repair and change during a race versus clinchers. The only thing that sold me was the options, price, and reality that if there's a catostrophic tire failure like a cut or slice, it would ruin a clincher or tubular, no matter which one you had. Carrying Vittoria Pit Stop (and a preglued tire if you're really OCD) versus a couple of spare tubes and CO2 cartridges is a wash in my opinion.

There's tons of threads on it here and slowtwitch. If I were you, I'd stick with clinchers if that is what you're familiar with, unless you become tubular educated before November.

Thanks for the insight. The more I look into it, the more I realize the need to stick with clinchers. I won't get the needed experience with tubulars prior to IMAZ and I definitely don't want to try something that new on raceday.
2013-08-15 11:24 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by jlruhnke

HED has an on-site wheel rental program at some WTC races this year. I used them at Racine 70.3 and had great experience.

I think I'm leaning towards this option for multiple reasons. First, they will be onsite and can do the implementation and any needed repairs. That's huge for me because I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to bike repair. Second, they have great wheel set options at about half the cost of TriBike Transport. Good stuff
2013-08-15 11:53 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN

Originally posted by jlruhnke

I think I'm leaning towards this option for multiple reasons. First, they will be onsite and can do the implementation and any needed repairs. That's huge for me because I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to bike repair. Second, they have great wheel set options at about half the cost of TriBike Transport. Good stuff

They were really great. When he was installing the wheels, he even mentioned a couple minor things I should have the LBS look at when I get home. I definitely plan on using them again when I do a IM next year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rental Race Wheels Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race Wheel Rentals

Started by fowlmood
Views: 712 Posts: 5

2012-02-22 1:25 PM the bear

WWBTD - Race Wheel Rentals

Started by jsnowash
Views: 2411 Posts: 14

2009-05-19 10:46 AM smalls82

Race wheel rentals

Started by kentiger
Views: 2989 Posts: 7

2009-02-13 4:25 PM tkd.teacher

Rental Wheel Question

Started by TriathletePT
Views: 460 Posts: 1

2008-07-16 9:37 AM TriathletePT

Race wheel rental quandary Pages: 1 2

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 2740 Posts: 46

2007-01-26 11:13 PM chile7473
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.