General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-08-26 9:13 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga
Course description says the water temp will be 'mid 70s'. So that means wetsuits would be legal, right? I don't like wearing a wetsuit though and will just enjoy a cool swim.

2013-08-26 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
correct. and they will measure until it is wetsuit legal.
2013-08-26 10:38 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
OK. Sign me up.  It's kinda hard to say no when I have family in Chattanooga.
2013-08-27 10:37 AM
in reply to: emferg

User image

what HIM's are ppl considering in the lead-up to IM ChooChoo - trying to think ahead, plan costs etc (so I can ask for money/race fees for xmas etc)...WTC or non-WTC - i'm not really fussed either way...

tenatively right now - i'm debating Door County, WI - July 20 (so about 2 months out)
2013-08-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by austhokie

what HIM's are ppl considering in the lead-up to IM ChooChoo - trying to think ahead, plan costs etc (so I can ask for money/race fees for xmas etc)...WTC or non-WTC - i'm not really fussed either way...

tenatively right now - i'm debating Door County, WI - July 20 (so about 2 months out)

Atomic Man. Someone posted that they are moving it to Labor Day next years so it would be a month out from The Choo.
2013-08-27 10:57 AM

User image

Originally posted by Rogillio

Atomic Man. Someone posted that they are moving it to Labor Day next years so it would be a month out from The Choo.

is a month out too close? most training plans say plan on about 2 months prior...thoughts from more experienced BT'ers?

2013-08-27 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

is a month out too close? most training plans say plan on about 2 months prior...thoughts from more experienced BT'ers?

I'm not very experienced but I think it depends on how hard you race the HIM. If you look at it as a training day then you can practive your OWS, T1/T2, nutrition, etc. The volume of a HIM will seem minimal compared to the 100+ mile bike rides and the 18 mile runs you've been doing in training.
2013-08-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: Chris.1333

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Originally posted by Chris.1333

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Rogillio Any guesses on how long to sell out? My thinking is, being an inaugural event it will sell out in a few hours. What say you?

It seems so similar to Louisville (river swim, hills, area of the country, time of year, weather (?) etc.) - and Louisville just sold out today for the race in a few weeks. 

Tough to guess.

But IMKY sold out on the first day in 2006. I did the first one in 2007. So my thinking is there will be a lot of locals that will want to do it just because it's in their backyard (like me). So I think the first year it will sell out fast and then, yeah, be like Louisville afterwards.

OTOH, since it is so similar to Louisville and pretty close to Louisville maybe it won't be in high demand?!

;-) Kinda like predicting what the stockmarket is gonna do.....

It's so close to Kona that a lot of already qualified folks will be gearing up to go to The Big Island.

It's a qualifier for the 2015 race. So people will be trying to secure an early spot.
2013-08-27 2:55 PM
in reply to: MyThreeSons

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by MyThreeSons

Originally posted by Chris.1333

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Rogillio Any guesses on how long to sell out? My thinking is, being an inaugural event it will sell out in a few hours. What say you?

It seems so similar to Louisville (river swim, hills, area of the country, time of year, weather (?) etc.) - and Louisville just sold out today for the race in a few weeks. 

Tough to guess.

But IMKY sold out on the first day in 2006. I did the first one in 2007. So my thinking is there will be a lot of locals that will want to do it just because it's in their backyard (like me). So I think the first year it will sell out fast and then, yeah, be like Louisville afterwards.

OTOH, since it is so similar to Louisville and pretty close to Louisville maybe it won't be in high demand?!

;-) Kinda like predicting what the stockmarket is gonna do.....

It's so close to Kona that a lot of already qualified folks will be gearing up to go to The Big Island.

It's a qualifier for the 2015 race. So people will be trying to secure an early spot.

I think you can do it Mark! Swing for the fence!
2013-08-27 6:31 PM

User image

Bethany, Illinois

I'm going to be doing Steelhead again... August 10, that will give me 7 weeks between races.
2013-08-27 9:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
All year I've been saying I would be done with Ironman races after #3 last month.  The training just takes too much time.  But then every year, a few days after the race, the rose-colored glasses come out and I want to do another. I'm going to (try to) stick to my guns and take 2014 off from racing anything longer than a sprint, but I might be in for this for 2015... either that or Louisville again.  It's exciting to have another IM race within driving distance!

Edited by LindaKC 2013-08-27 9:39 PM

2013-08-28 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

A month out is fine. Do the HIM and then taper for 3 weeks before the IM. Actually it is perfect timing. I usually give clients Big Day's of training a month out and then 3 weeks of taper.

2013-08-28 10:32 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Originally posted by KSH

A month out is fine. Do the HIM and then taper for 3 weeks before the IM. Actually it is perfect timing. I usually give clients Big Day's of training a month out and then 3 weeks of taper.

cool - thanks - that expands my search options, I was looking at the 2 month out window, but I might extend it a bit and see if there is something closer to home (not that Wisconsin or Cali wouldn't be fun)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

CEEPO becomes Ironman's Official Bike Sponsor

Started by Mimir98
Views: 2347 Posts: 1

2008-12-22 10:32 AM Mimir98

I am an official triathlete!

Started by rmattison78
Views: 821 Posts: 7

2007-08-08 12:51 PM enginerd

I Am An Official Triathlete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Shannon3
Views: 1235 Posts: 19

2007-06-23 10:22 PM mbydalek

Its official...I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1088 Posts: 16

2007-05-08 1:32 PM docswim24

It's official: Ironman Louisville 2007 (and 08-11)

Started by BGTwinDad
Views: 1652 Posts: 11

2006-10-04 1:02 PM shadowfax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: