General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now with Chattanooga announced... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-15 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Now with Chattanooga announced...
Where does this put the future of KQ?

I think this brings the total to 32 IM's worldwide, including Kona (AG winners re-qualify), which means with a field of 1700 they are averaging about 53 slots per race next year. I think the race has about 1850-1900 total, but 200 goes to the ridiculous lottery/legacy system (debate for another time). So where does KQ go in the future with more races added each year?

I think it will be a few options in the future:

A. No more 100/75 slot races. Will save about 100 slots total I think.

B. All races slowly trim down to 45, then 40, then maybe just AG winners

C. Only certain races have Kona slot allocation (very unlikely)

D. I fear this, but KPR for AG'ers. Given the emergence of more competition slowly rising this would be a great business move. I think this is the most likely option or at least the direction Andrew Messick is trying to go.

Sometimes I feel Kona is destructive to the development of Triathlon.

So where do people think WTC is trying to take this?

On the other hand, REV 3 is doing something similar but on a smaller scale with their AG series, Challenge is setting up a championship event within their series (at the pro level).

2013-08-15 5:31 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Now with Chattanooga announced...
I'm guessing A or B although D would not surprise me one bit.
2013-08-15 6:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25 Sometimes I feel Kona is destructive to the development of Triathlon.

Of the 2500ish people that sign up for an IM...about 2200 of them couldn't care less how many Kona slots there are.  The 300 people that do care...I seriously don't think they're about to quit the sport just because there may be less KQ slots than they would like at their next IM.

ETA: But to answer your question, I think the handful of KQ spots they still give out at Eagleman, Honu, and St Croix will be the first to go and get redistributed back into the IM pool.

Edited by Jason N 2013-08-15 6:34 PM
2013-08-15 8:50 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by bcagle25 Sometimes I feel Kona is destructive to the development of Triathlon.

Of the 2500ish people that sign up for an IM...about 2200 of them couldn't care less how many Kona slots there are.  The 300 people that do care...I seriously don't think they're about to quit the sport just because there may be less KQ slots than they would like at their next IM.

ETA: But to answer your question, I think the handful of KQ spots they still give out at Eagleman, Honu, and St Croix will be the first to go and get redistributed back into the IM pool.

I never said "quit". To me the observation is that so many triathletes start with an IM in the first 1-2 years of the sport and want to get to Kona someday, want to imp roe, be competitive, etc. IMO racing IM year after year is not conducive to that. Also with the lottery/legacy angle they have started, it seems people are now racing 2,3,4 or 5 IM's a year to get their spot. This reduces the amount of years they will be able to race since they are destroying their bodies and overtraining/racing. Heck WTC is getting criticized for having the pros race more then 2 IM's a year, and if anyones body can handle it the best it would be the professionals.

So no I didn't mean quit the sport, I just simply meant that Kona is blocking many triathletes vision of everything outside of IM/Kona.
2013-08-15 9:38 PM

User image

Pro

There is a wave coming....and it will change the face of triathlon in this country.  Start paying attention to the youth movement within the sport...and start watching the podium finishes by these kids.  I'm not talking about AG podiums at local races, I'm talking about overall podium finishes by 15, 16, 17 and 18 year old kids at the regional and national level.  They don't give a rats arse about Kona.

An 18 year old was 3rd at AG Olympic Nationals last week.  A pair of 16 year old boys were in the top 5 at men AG Sprint Nationals.  16 and a 15 year old girls were in the top 3 in women's AG Sprint Nationals.  The tide has started to turn.  That doesn't even take into account the Youth and Jr. draft legal series that has exploded to the point that getting one of the 75 starting spots in a cup race is absolutely coveted in the Youth and Jr. men's divisions.

There's a WHOLE LOT of triathlon outside of IM, and it's growing and growing....a great sign for the sport in the U.S.

2013-08-15 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Left Brain

There is a wave coming....and it will change the face of triathlon in this country.  Start paying attention to the youth movement within the sport...and start watching the podium finishes by these kids.  I'm not talking about AG podiums at local races, I'm talking about overall podium finishes by 15, 16, 17 and 18 year old kids at the regional and national level.  They don't give a rats arse about Kona.

An 18 year old was 3rd at AG Olympic Nationals last week.  A pair of 16 year old boys were in the top 5 at men AG Sprint Nationals.  16 and a 15 year old girls were in the top 3 in women's AG Sprint Nationals.  The tide has started to turn.  That doesn't even take into account the Youth and Jr. draft legal series that has exploded to the point that getting one of the 75 starting spots in a cup race is absolutely coveted in the Youth and Jr. men's divisions.

There's a WHOLE LOT of triathlon outside of IM, and it's growing and growing....a great sign for the sport in the U.S.

now they just have to get make it through college and and get an entry level job which gives them a launch pad to afford to continue the sport at a national level.

i agree there is more outside of IM. i did my first half this year which was IM brand... and im not sold on it exclusively. if i do a full it probably will be B2B for my first

Edited by Clempson 2013-08-15 9:55 PM

2013-08-16 12:12 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

Do you think after that, the natural progression is to longer course racing?  Take Gomez for example who has already had a go at 70.3 and Courtney Atkinson who has transitioned into 70.3 with ease, Bevan Docherty into IM.

I think IM will still have its place. 

The beauty of the short course is it's easy to watch - it's exciting, it shows well on TV - the Brownlees brought it exposure in the Olympics too.

I am happy - I love to watch this sport. 

2013-08-16 2:24 AM

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Jason N

I never said "quit". To me the observation is that so many triathletes start with an IM in the first 1-2 years of the sport and want to get to Kona someday, want to imp roe, be competitive, etc. IMO racing IM year after year is not conducive to that. Also with the lottery/legacy angle they have started, it seems people are now racing 2,3,4 or 5 IM's a year to get their spot. This reduces the amount of years they will be able to race since they are destroying their bodies and overtraining/racing. Heck WTC is getting criticized for having the pros race more then 2 IM's a year, and if anyones body can handle it the best it would be the professionals. So no I didn't mean quit the sport, I just simply meant that Kona is blocking many triathletes vision of everything outside of IM/Kona.

Ok...I see where you're coming from now.  But I suppose *I* don't really see it that way.

If someone wants to get into tris to be competitive, I don't really think Kona and the KQ allocations is going to make a difference.  IMHO, the drive to get to KQ caliber fitness extends way beyond Kona.  To put yourself through all that training and sacrifice only for one race???  I'm more with Left Brain that there are a lot of extremely competitive athletes that couldn't care less about Kona.  Some of the fastest and talented triathletes in the world are more focused on ITU and the Olympics rather than Kona.

As for the average AGer that may pursue Kona through the legacy program.  Well...some of them really like doing IMs as part of their lifestyle.  If over 15 years they do 12 IMs and get a spot at Kona...good for them.  But to your example of someone who may do 5-6 IMs a year...or even 2-3 just to accumulate IM finishes for a legacy spot.  I think that's dumb.  If you don't enjoy doing a lot of IMs, but you really want to go to Kona, you may as well just pony up the $40k and buy a charity spot off ebay.  You'd probably save money in the long run and a whole lot of time.  Figure in that for most people a trip to Kona is likely at least $5k alone...it's not going to be cheap any way you look at it...even if you KQ.

2013-08-16 8:35 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'm going to Des Moines (Hy-Vee 5150) in two weeks. That's my Kona

This IM ChooChoo swim looks like fun, especially of you swim under the bridges etc. Won't be as challenging as most, just fun. Not a lot of races have a spectator friendly swim.
2013-08-16 9:34 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Clempson

now they just have to get make it through college and and get an entry level job which gives them a launch pad to afford to continue the sport at a national level. i agree there is more outside of IM. i did my first half this year which was IM brand... and im not sold on it exclusively. if i do a full it probably will be B2B for my first

You're not looking down the road with any vision.  Triathlon will be a scholarship sport for women in another year or two.  Colleges with triathlon teams and programs are giving scholarships for XC to men who can swim and biike and have National level experience.  Go to any regional triathlon and look at all of the college kits.

In time, with all of the new YOUNG triathletes coming into the sport it will become more mainstream, and with more mainstream comes more money.  The day will come when you will see Draft legal cup races and a Series for AG'ers and lower/mid-level pros who can't get that kind of racing at the international level.  Already overseas they are running races that take place in more of a stadium venue with multiple laps of s/b/r.

Kona will become quaint......like all old things do.....and as all old things should.

I have the extreme pleasure of being around very fast kids from all over tthe country....triathlon will change in this country.  Long and slow is fine for most lifestyle triathletes.....but the future is speed.  Have you watched a team relay yet?  No, not a relay where each leg is run by a different person.....a TEAM RELAY where each member does a crazy fast/short  s/b/r leg of their own, I watched one this year with 60 teams (FANTASTIC!!)...it will likely be the next Olympic triathlon entry.....and it's crazy chaos,  fast as hell, and a blast to watch.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-16 9:35 AM
2013-08-16 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by Clempson

now they just have to get make it through college and and get an entry level job which gives them a launch pad to afford to continue the sport at a national level. i agree there is more outside of IM. i did my first half this year which was IM brand... and im not sold on it exclusively. if i do a full it probably will be B2B for my first

You're not looking down the road with any vision.  Triathlon will be a scholarship sport for women in another year or two.  Colleges with triathlon teams and programs are giving scholarships for XC to men who can swim and biike and have National level experience.  Go to any regional triathlon and look at all of the college kits.

In time, with all of the new YOUNG triathletes coming into the sport it will become more mainstream, and with more mainstream comes more money.  The day will come when you will see Draft legal cup races and a Series for AG'ers and lower/mid-level pros who can't get that kind of racing at the international level.  Already overseas they are running races that take place in more of a stadium venue with multiple laps of s/b/r.

Kona will become quaint......like all old things do.....and as all old things should.

I have the extreme pleasure of being around very fast kids from all over tthe country....triathlon will change in this country.  Long and slow is fine for most lifestyle triathletes.....but the future is speed.  Have you watched a team relay yet?  No, not a relay where each leg is run by a different person.....a TEAM RELAY where each member does a crazy fast/short  s/b/r leg of their own, I watched one this year with 60 teams (FANTASTIC!!)...it will likely be the next Olympic triathlon entry.....and it's crazy chaos,  fast as hell, and a blast to watch.

I hope this is true.  We're currently having to send older athletes (compared to other countries) to the Olympics, because we currently don't have anyone else.  I'd love to see us competitive at the Olympic distance internationally.

2013-08-16 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

When you say "quaint" do you mean like the Boston Marathon? I don't know how long that race has been running so is that race considered old? Maybe Boston does fall into the quaint category if you look at how many people run road races regularly vs how many participate in the race.

I guess the question is, in say 10 years, will KQ'ing have the same luster as BQ'ing?

Edited by reecealan 2013-08-16 10:07 AM
2013-08-16 10:12 AM

User image

Pro

It would be cool if it did, because that would mean that Triathlon has reached the mainstream conscience.  The trouble with KQ is that we are talking about 2500 people vs. what?....10 - 20 times that many for Boston? 

All I'm saying is that 30 years ago I, like almost everyone, became interested in Triathlon because of Kona.......the largest (and soon to be fastest) segment of the population getting into triathlon doesn't care about Kona...at all.  It's not why they're here.  They are here to go fast!!  That bodes well for the future of triathlon here.  You could cancel Kona tomorrow....the wave is still coming.  I don't think I could have made that statement 25 years ago.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-16 10:18 AM
2013-08-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Qualifying for Kona should just as easily be called qualifying for the World Championship held at XXX. I'd like to qualify, but I couldn't care if it was Kona, but to anything-Q is a hell of an accomplishment, a goal to be set as a gold standard.
2013-08-16 10:33 AM

User image

Master
I bet Lou is on the chopping block maybe Texas as well.

Edited by jhouse4 2013-08-16 10:34 AM
2013-08-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Pro

Originally posted by fisherman76 Qualifying for Kona should just as easily be called qualifying for the World Championship held at XXX. I'd like to qualify, but I couldn't care if it was Kona, but to anything-Q is a hell of an accomplishment, a goal to be set as a gold standard.

I hear what you are saying and I agree to a point.  Still, Kona will always be hallowed triathlon ground.....but the 140.6 distance shouldn't be/isn't necessarily a gold standard for triathlon by any measure.....and certainly not internationally.  I think it will become even less so with the next generation.

2013-08-16 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
I think it's going to be interesting to see if your perspective changes when you race IMLT. I love your enthusiasm for your kids racing and ITU. I think you are spot on in that the shorter distances is where professional triathlon is headed. But I doubt the 140.6 is threatened in anyway. WTC is a business and they are making mad amounts of money on the egos of middle aged athletes who need to prove themselves that they can endure. You've been hanging out with the "Usain Bolts" and there are a ton of marathoners out there. It's the old (sad) fact that if you told somebody at a cocktail party that you just ran a 16:xx 5K and the person next to you said they just ran a 5:30 marathon, the person would be more impressed with the marathon. People are always going to be enamored with "going long". And that's the beauty of this sport; we get apples AND oranges!

Edited by blbriley 2013-08-16 12:50 PM
2013-08-16 12:56 PM
in reply to: blbriley

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by blbriley

I think it's going to be interesting to see if your perspective changes when you race IMLT. I love your enthusiasm for your kids racing and ITU. I think you are spot on in that the shorter distances is where professional triathlon is headed. But I doubt the 140.6 is threatened in anyway. WTC is a business and they are making mad amounts of money on the egos of middle aged athletes who need to prove themselves that they can endure. You've been hanging out with the "Usain Bolts" and there are a ton of marathoners out there. It's the old (sad) fact that if you told somebody at a cocktail party that you just ran a 16:xx 5K and the person next to you said they just ran a 5:30 marathon, the person would be more impressed with the marathon. People are always going to be enamored with "going long". And that's the beauty of this sport; we get apples AND oranges!

Nail. Head. Whack! Once school is over nobody cares (except for a small few) how fast you went but rather how long it was and how crazy you are. I can run a 3hr mary but nobody will care when the guy next to me just squeaked by with a 15:59 IM finish.
2013-08-16 1:03 PM
in reply to: blbriley

User image

Pro

Originally posted by blbriley I think it's going to be interesting to see if your perspective changes when you race IMLT. I love your enthusiasm for your kids racing and ITU. I think you are spot on in that the shorter distances is where professional triathlon is headed. But I doubt the 140.6 is threatened in anyway. WTC is a business and they are making mad amounts of money on the egos of middle aged athletes who need to prove themselves that they can endure. You've been hanging out with the "Usain Bolts" and there are a ton of marathoners out there. It's the old (sad) fact that if you told somebody at a cocktail party that you just ran a 16:xx 5K and the person next to you said they just ran a 5:30 marathon, the person would be more impressed with the marathon. People are always going to be enamored with "going long". And that's the beauty of this sport; we get apples AND oranges!

Yeah, but what will people WATCH?  What can you put on ESPN2 that people can watch start to finish uninterrupted and see the winner, and the passes, and the crashes?  They'll watch crazy fast, draft legal (or no drafting), circuit races....and that's what the next generation of triathletes wants as well.

I don't think my perspective will change.  I've done WTC branded events.  I know I'm like most of the others out there....a middle aged guy/gal still trying to keep moving.  Nobody will watch that.  In the end it only matters to me.  It's not even a "race" in the truest sense of the word....or if it is, 90% of us aren't even in it.

The future of triathlon.....if there is to be one in this country, will be about speed and venues conducive to the ESPN2 crowd.  That's not a bad thing since it will help fuel our Olympic hopes.

2013-08-16 1:05 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro

Originally posted by thebigb
Originally posted by blbriley I think it's going to be interesting to see if your perspective changes when you race IMLT. I love your enthusiasm for your kids racing and ITU. I think you are spot on in that the shorter distances is where professional triathlon is headed. But I doubt the 140.6 is threatened in anyway. WTC is a business and they are making mad amounts of money on the egos of middle aged athletes who need to prove themselves that they can endure. You've been hanging out with the "Usain Bolts" and there are a ton of marathoners out there. It's the old (sad) fact that if you told somebody at a cocktail party that you just ran a 16:xx 5K and the person next to you said they just ran a 5:30 marathon, the person would be more impressed with the marathon. People are always going to be enamored with "going long". And that's the beauty of this sport; we get apples AND oranges!
Nail. Head. Whack! Once school is over nobody cares (except for a small few) how fast you went but rather how long it was and how crazy you are. I can run a 3hr mary but nobody will care when the guy next to me just squeaked by with a 15:59 IM finish.

No, they will care if they can watch it for an hour start to finish......and somebody crashes.

2013-08-16 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Yeah, but what will people WATCH?  What can you put on ESPN2 that people can watch start to finish uninterrupted and see the winner, and the passes, and the crashes?  They'll watch crazy fast, draft legal (or no drafting), circuit races....and that's what the next generation of triathletes wants as well.

I don't think my perspective will change.  I've done WTC branded events.  I know I'm like most of the others out there....a middle aged guy/gal still trying to keep moving.  Nobody will watch that.  In the end it only matters to me.  It's not even a "race" in the truest sense of the word....or if it is, 90% of us aren't even in it.

The future of triathlon.....if there is to be one in this country, will be about speed and venues conducive to the ESPN2 crowd.  That's not a bad thing since it will help fuel our Olympic hopes.

This is what I want, circuit races, short fast races, something exciting! I don't even know where I can find things like this to sign up for much less watch. I am a triathlete and even I think the ironman broadcast is boring now. I would LOVE to see and participate in more exciting race formats.

2013-08-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Originally posted by dmiller5

This is what I want, circuit races, short fast races, something exciting! I don't even know where I can find things like this to sign up for much less watch. I am a triathlete and even I think the ironman broadcast is boring now. I would LOVE to see and participate in more exciting race formats.

It really doesn't exist yet, for "age groupers".....but it will.  It's the future thanks to the enormous class of youth triathletes coming up, and that segment of new triathletes is growing exponentially.

The next generation will fuel it....watch and see.  There are some races that you can get in.....F1 or EDR races that are draft legal.  Dallas holds a great race the first weekend in June.  Clermont, Fl. has an EDR race.  Richmond, Va. also held an EDR (Elite Developement Race) race after the youth/Jr. elite cups ran past year....that was early May.  My kid has raced all of those races and they are top notch events.

2013-08-16 1:59 PM

User image

Kona and IM distance races will always have their place, but I completely agree with LB that if the sport is truely going to grow and expand more into mainstream public attention, it's all about short course.  Just look at all the other major sports.  Baseball, football, soccer, hockey, basketball...and even other spectator sports like boxing, mma, tennis, rugby, golf, etc.  The common theme is that the attention span of the audience is normally limited to 2-3 hours.  Sometimes a bit longer...but generally they don't want their events lasting much longer than 4 hours otherwise they start looking at ideas to speed up the game.

The media does not want to cover a 4-5 hour HIM, or a 8-9 hour IM.  Nor does the average spectator want to watch it.  While I agree that in many people's minds longer is better...that's not the case when it comes to actually growing the sport.  As popular as football is...if they decided to make games have ten 15 minute quarters...so now the game lasts 8 hours instead of 3...does that make the game better?  What if baseball decided to change their games to 24 innings?

Add into the fact that the logistics of putting on a 70.3 or 140.6 event is huge.  It impacts the public, and they are not events that a specific city or area can hold 8-10 such events every year.  If Chattanooga wants to grow their triathlon community, having one IM event will help, but having 5-7 sprints and 3-5 Olys in the area every year will help even more.

If we can direct more of the focus on shorter course elite racing...I think more people outside the sport may find it interesting.  Otherwise they'll simply wait for the 90 minute shortened version of the NBC Kona broadcast that's tape delayed and that will be their triathlon viewing experience for the entire year.

Again...there's nothing wrong with long course...it's just that if the sport continues to put Kona and IM on this huge pedastal above everything else...it's not ever going to grow to it's potential.

Just my 2 cents of course.

2013-08-16 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

No, they will care if they can watch it for an hour start to finish......and somebody crashes.

Believe me, I hope that becomes the case because I would absolutely LOVE to have more fast, short, draft legal events I could hop into. I just don't think lazy Joe at the coffee pot is ever going to be impressed by any type of short course racing.
2013-08-16 2:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by thebigb 

Believe me, I hope that becomes the case because I would absolutely LOVE to have more fast, short, draft legal events I could hop into. I just don't think lazy Joe at the coffee pot is ever going to be impressed by any type of short course racing.

It's one thing to be "impressed" by an athletic accomplishment...I think it's totally different for it to be actually interesting to watch.  Driving a car around a 2.5 mile track a couple hundred times is not impressive to me.  But it can be very entertaining to watch sometimes.

Edited by Jason N 2013-08-16 2:47 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now with Chattanooga announced... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Williamsburg HIM announced

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1371 Posts: 16

2007-01-22 4:56 PM captantony

New Triathlon Series announced

Started by bryancd
Views: 1470 Posts: 15

2006-12-13 11:32 AM jpb0009

Lakeside Triathlon - just announced (IL)

Started by Writebrained
Views: 997 Posts: 8

2006-11-10 11:40 AM chirunner134

Lifetime Fitness announces $1 million Tri Series

Started by Matchman
Views: 731 Posts: 3

2006-06-01 12:06 PM Denise2003

Lance announced...

Started by Browe79
Views: 1336 Posts: 16

2005-02-17 9:38 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.