General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New in Alaska! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-16 12:20 PM

Subject: New in Alaska!
Hello out there!! I am a *brand* new member who has just decided to start training for my first triathlon. I am currently pretty overweight, but have been working out and have lost 25 pounds so far. My goal is to train and be ready to at least finish a sprint triathlon in May (the day after my 35th bday!!). I have to say, i've had a bit of a rocky start so far...... I went to look at road bikes at a local shop here and was told that I was too fat for the bike I want, that I should purchase a different bike and then come BACK when I was skinnier to buy the bike I want. Hopefully not everyone will be this discouraging on my journey, but I'm choosing to use this experience as motivation to prove this guy wrong!

2013-08-16 3:20 PM
in reply to: rahrah97

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: RE: New in Alaska!

Welcome to BT and congratulations on your weight loss thus far! Stick around.  This is a terrific site with lots of smart, supportive members and great information to help you reach your goals. Since you have a race target, you should also consider some of the free training plans that are available here.  

Without knowing the particulars about your visit to the bike shop, all I can say is shame on them for talking down to you. Biking is a fantastic way to exercise with lower impact on your body/joints. The most important element of selecting a bike is fit. If you have a great deal of weight to lose that "may" affect how to fit you on a bike, so yes....some may be better choices than others. That is also true of other factors like height, leg or torso length, flexibility etc. But triathletes (fast and slow) come in all sizes and race all distances. In addition to the main tri forum, you might find some interesting information in the Clydesdale/Athena as well as Nutrition forums. And in the spring there will be new mentor groups forming that are terrific for new and experienced athletes.

Good luck!

2013-08-16 10:04 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

That is a HORRIBLE bike shop!!!!  Good lord!!!!  I have a great friend up in Anchorage that has done the Why Not Tri in Wasilla a couple of times and the Gold Nugget.  If you would like to meet her for a chat, send me a PM.  She is a newer cyclist and would be more than happy to help you out.

Welcome to BT and triathlon!

2013-08-17 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Welcome to BT and congrats on your weight loss so far.

I too was surprised by the bike shops attitude. Maybe do more research on what you should be looking for in a bike before choosing one.

Once you get comfortable here start asking questions - for example what to look for in the bike you want plus maybe which online suppliers of Tri Gear are reliable.

I recently completed a half Ironman at Lake Stevens, Washington and there was a fairly large group from Alaska (not sure where they were all from). They seemed like a pretty friendly group. You should be able to find some local triathletes who will be willing to educate you on what is available to you in your area.

When I first started 2 yrs ago I read lots of race reports (especially for races I wanted to participate in) and they were very inspirational. I also recommend volunteering at any triathlon events to learn more about how they are run and to meet other likeminded people.

Good luck and have fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New in Alaska! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello from Alaska

Started by jbwills
Views: 632 Posts: 4

2012-06-18 5:32 PM Maria527

Hi from Alaska

Started by hammondjm1975
Views: 647 Posts: 2

2011-05-05 11:06 AM TriAya

Rookie from Alaska

Started by malapanis
Views: 752 Posts: 2

2010-05-08 6:12 PM cpsdad

New from Alaska...

Started by christinehill
Views: 631 Posts: 2

2009-02-13 1:10 PM lkagop

NEW NEW NEW

Started by E-Bell
Views: 1140 Posts: 8

2004-11-02 4:04 PM trixie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.