General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra lava pants Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-16 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: Xterra lava pants
Anyone taking the "plunge" on these new swim pants from Xterra? They look interesting, but would like to see some feedback before I drop $125 on them to try out.

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/store/index.php/products/triathlon-sp...

2013-08-16 12:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Xterra lava pants
they look intriguing

one of the reviews commented about how they knocked 25-30 seconds of their 100m pace...either they are darn slow, or these pants make them like aquaman

Edited by austhokie 2013-08-16 12:42 PM
2013-08-16 12:44 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

NC
Let me get this straight, for $125 I can replace the pull buoy my pool offers for free?

2013-08-16 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Not directed solely at you but I have to ask why? I would even ask that to the Roka Sim shorts as well. To my non fish eye they both look like another crutch for a triathlete that would be even more potentially dependence forming in nature than a pull buoy. The cost of the pants/shorts would equate to one or two private lessons with a coach to help solve the issue at the source of the problem. Then again I'm a horrible swimmer so I'm not claiming to know a whole lot here
2013-08-16 12:56 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by thebigb

Not directed solely at you but I have to ask why? I would even ask that to the Roka Sim shorts as well. To my non fish eye they both look like another crutch for a triathlete that would be even more potentially dependence forming in nature than a pull buoy. The cost of the pants/shorts would equate to one or two private lessons with a coach to help solve the issue at the source of the problem. Then again I'm a horrible swimmer so I'm not claiming to know a whole lot here
I don't necessarily have a reason to get them. I am actually a decent swimmer (many years of competitive swimming), even if I am not where I used to be with it. I actually hate the pull buoy for the most part, but enjoy the added speed of the wetsuit. That being said, my preference would be that all races would be non-wetsuit legal, as this would give me more of an advantage, but since that isn't the case, I just play by the rules. Anyway, I kind of doubt I would ever end up with these, honestly, but I wanted to see what everyone thinks of them.

To address these over the pull buoy, however, I will say that I intentionally do *not* kick when using a pull buoy. I would kick using these. Not quite targeting the same thing.

2013-08-16 12:58 PM

User image

NC
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

To address these over the pull buoy, however, I will say that I intentionally do *not* kick when using a pull buoy. I would kick using these. Not quite targeting the same thing.

According to Xterra: "LAVA PANTS will change the way you train in the pool by replacing your pull buoy and drastically improving your training results."

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. In other words, they'll probably sell a ton of these to triathletes.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-08-16 1:10 PM

2013-08-16 1:20 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Goosedog

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

According to Xterra: "LAVA PANTS will change the way you train in the pool by replacing your pull buoy and drastically improving your training results."

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. In other words, they'll probably sell a ton of these to triathletes.

Fair enough, but my point was about how *I* would use them if I ever had them, not what Xterra was pushing. My mindset has always been upper body only on pull buoy sets, where as this, for me, would be a different effect. Beyond the points you've made, they are of questionable value if one already has a wetsuit to train with in open water.

Regardless of all this, I'd like to see real world feedback of anyone who has tried them.
2013-08-16 1:48 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Goosedog Let me get this straight, for $125 I can replace the pull buoy my pool offers for free?

But wait, there's more!!

2013-08-17 10:30 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

New user

Chicago
2013-08-18 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Those look like they would be awesome for going to the pool with my 3 yo. When I turn into a shivering mess while she goes down the slide for 1,476th one more time. I think a wetsuit is over kill in that situation, but these pants might be perfect.
2013-08-18 2:38 PM

User image

Pro

they look cool.  that's reason enough to plunk down the $125.

(says the guy who buys his jammers from swim outlet and goes for whatever crazy style is on sale.)

2013-08-19 6:37 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

I got an email over the weekend about some place doing a special of these for $99 - of course, I trashed the email - so I don't remember who it was from...
2013-08-19 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, I'll fess up. I bought them. Swam in the lake with them. LOVED THEM!! They run a tad small, so I'm exchanging them for a bigger size. For me they were awesome in that you get the "benefit" of the wetsuit without the constriction in the chest. My goal is always first and foremost to have a comfortable race experience in the water and if these help me achieve that, then goal accomplished. I will say that it was rather fun being at OWS practice with my teammates last week with the pants on- the comments and the discussions that happened. I even let one of the guys try them out and he loved them! I plan to wear them in my 70.3 that is coming up.
2014-06-10 1:05 AM
in reply to: nuttysami123

User image

Regular
thread bump… any more reviews of this product?

Looking to pick one up but looks Xterra hiked the price to $150. Any thoughts on a store that is offering better price?
2014-06-10 3:07 AM
in reply to: ironbaby

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by ironbaby thread bump… any more reviews of this product? Looking to pick one up but looks Xterra hiked the price to $150. Any thoughts on a store that is offering better price?

Just be patient.  They will be "on sale" before you know it.

I got a pair for Xmas and have been wearing them since.  Love them. Maybe too much as I cannot bear to swim in the pool without them.  If you are going to be racing in non-wetsuit races I would not use them but for me where all my races and OWS's are in a wetsuit I feel like I am better able to focus on attributes of my stroke that are more specific to my upper body and rotation.

Right or wrong with my thoughts on the lava pants as an aid to developing my form, I just had my best swim leg ever and much more importantly, I enjoy swimming considerably more when I wear them. 

2014-06-10 7:22 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

All I have are wetsuit swims this year so I'm using my Roka Sim Shorts in the pool.  I'm training for two IM's so my legs are always thrashed and the sim shorts (or lava pants) allow me to save my legs a little more when I'm in the pool.

If I were just doing non-wetsuit swims I would not wear them at all except for maybe some recovery swims.

2014-06-10 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by ironbaby thread bump… any more reviews of this product? Looking to pick one up but looks Xterra hiked the price to $150. Any thoughts on a store that is offering better price?

I got a pair for Xmas and have been wearing them since.  Love them. Maybe too much as I cannot bear to swim in the pool without them.  If you are going to be racing in non-wetsuit races I would not use them but for me where all my races and OWS's are in a wetsuit I feel like I am better able to focus on attributes of my stroke that are more specific to my upper body and rotation.

Right or wrong with my thoughts on the lava pants as an aid to developing my form, I just had my best swim leg ever and much more importantly, I enjoy swimming considerably more when I wear them. 

Just what I wanted to hear... I generally swim on weekends (after long run/ride) so I use a lot of pull buoy. If this eliminates the buoy with minimal use of legs, it would serve my purpose. Although I am sorrtta bottom heavy and i have only seen these pictured on super lean/small framed athletes so I am a little concerned about the fitting. I measure 36" at waist and weight just under 200lbs.... hoping their L-size would fit.

"On Sale"? Is there a mailing list to jump on? I can get a 20% discount on xterra's website but they charge for shipping. Not finding these anywhere near $99

Edited by ironbaby 2014-06-10 11:34 AM
2014-06-10 12:46 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by ironbaby

Just what I wanted to hear... I generally swim on weekends (after long run/ride) so I use a lot of pull buoy. If this eliminates the buoy with minimal use of legs, it would serve my purpose. Although I am sorrtta bottom heavy and i have only seen these pictured on super lean/small framed athletes so I am a little concerned about the fitting. I measure 36" at waist and weight just under 200lbs.... hoping their L-size would fit. "On Sale"? Is there a mailing list to jump on? I can get a 20% discount on xterra's website but they charge for shipping. Not finding these anywhere near $99

We got these as part of a wetsuit, tri bag, LAVA pants package. ($185ish for all 3)

Their return policy is awesome, so if the size doesn't fit it's no biggie. LAVA pants fit at hips, not waist. So you need to measure around hips. They are VERY snug. And if you're bottom heavy (I am), they said to move up a size to start with because they are cut for smaller people. (I called and talked to them about sizing)

2014-06-10 12:50 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by ironbaby

Just what I wanted to hear... I generally swim on weekends (after long run/ride) so I use a lot of pull buoy. If this eliminates the buoy with minimal use of legs, it would serve my purpose. Although I am sorrtta bottom heavy and i have only seen these pictured on super lean/small framed athletes so I am a little concerned about the fitting. I measure 36" at waist and weight just under 200lbs.... hoping their L-size would fit. "On Sale"? Is there a mailing list to jump on? I can get a 20% discount on xterra's website but they charge for shipping. Not finding these anywhere near $99

If you use discount code "BT" they are $109 now. 

Another thing on the sizing/fit of these is that they are cut very low at the waist.  Much lower under the belly button than I am generally comfortable with.  Maybe not so bad from a modesty standpoint in you wear a suit under them.  I do not.  I do have to really work the hip material up so I don't feel too exposed. 

2014-06-10 7:57 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

We got these as part of a wetsuit, tri bag, LAVA pants package. ($185ish for all 3)

Their return policy is awesome, so if the size doesn't fit it's no biggie. LAVA pants fit at hips, not waist. So you need to measure around hips. They are VERY snug. And if you're bottom heavy (I am), they said to move up a size to start with because they are cut for smaller people. (I called and talked to them about sizing)

Pretty sweet deal. I think that package is going for $500 right now.

Popsracer you are my hero! Thanks for the code.
Btw I have heard same things on the fitting as you mentioned. I wouldn't dare wearing it without jammers underneath.

Edited by ironbaby 2014-06-10 7:58 PM
2014-06-11 9:14 AM

User image

These a re pretty much standard equipment for paratriathletes. Paraplegics are aloud to wear them in all competitions, and the extra bouyancy for the lower half of our body really helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra lava pants Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lava magazine any good?

Started by Izlude
Views: 1479 Posts: 14

2010-09-29 10:42 AM beanmj

Lava

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1127 Posts: 10

2010-08-04 9:54 PM TriRx

Lava

Started by titeloops
Views: 714 Posts: 2

2010-07-28 5:04 PM joker70

First ride with the local tri shop group last night...PANT PANT

Started by fgump
Views: 1320 Posts: 12

2007-06-20 11:48 AM Sharkboy

pant, pant, thump, crash...& MY SHORTS

Started by desertsix
Views: 972 Posts: 5

2004-08-23 11:30 PM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Wetsuit guide for triathletes - manufacturers, sizing and maintenance.