$500,000 per year (or more)7 Votes - [3.66%]

2013-08-17 5:15 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Your Household Gross Income
Originally posted by the bear

Originally posted by tacetman I've read that study and I wish it detailed their research methods a bit more. They actually don't really thoroughly discuss how they arrived at that "income" number. Is it gross household income? Gross personal income? I'm assuming gross personal but I couldn't find it anywhere. Plus, despite the lack of statistical power of my "study", I'm still curious how the BT community breaks down. Still better than polling first-year psychology students.

If you read the study, it does say household income. An excerpt from Part 2:

The average household income of triathletes is quite high—more than $126,000, which is
significantly higher than the national average and suggests that in an economic downturn,
triathletes, more than other segments of the population have the wherewithal to continue their
participation in the sport

So why is that? Do triathletes make more because of their natural drive and ability to self motivate or do people that are rich just have the time and means to pursue an expensive hobby?

2013-08-17 6:31 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
2013-08-17 7:11 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Champion
Alabama

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Eggzactly!
2013-08-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I clicked the $75-$99k button. My wife makes just a smidge more than I do ... we're both in higher education administration. We throw it all into one big pile (joint account), pay what needs to get paid, save a bit, and spend the rest on food. We give ourselves a monthly allowance that we can either save or spend. I'm currently in the hole after IMLP. She's got a bit saved up and plans to buy a bike and swim lessons with it. I didn't tell her that she'll be in the hole with me soon enough.We also keep our own money that we make on the side. She's got a small theater production company that makes a profit on the shows it produces. I can stack stones into long standing walls and lay them into very attractive patios. I teach an occasional workshop for homeowners who want to learn the particulars, otherwise, I don't make money at that. This winter's workshops will get me out of the hole I'm in for my allowance.

We've got two daughters in college (free tuition), one car (paid off), and don't use credit beyond the mortgage. We bought a junker of a house in a great location and have spent the last 12 years making improvements. The sweat equity has paid well.
2013-08-17 10:54 PM

User image

My household income is too low to be participating in Triathlons.
2013-08-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: adelsud

User image

Champion
I make money now and can participate in this poll! (I'm still technically in the red due to school...but meh). I am currently bringing down the average though.

2013-08-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-08-18 4:46 PM
2013-08-19 10:24 AM

Chicago, IL
Originally posted by adelsud

My household income is too low to be participating in Triathlons.

^Haha. well played, sir.

Ditto.
2013-08-19 10:38 AM

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by adelsud My household income is too low to be participating in Triathlons.

My disposable income is too low to be participating in triathlons :-)

One wage coming in to the house, two adults, four kids and a dog :-)

Still we seem to be able to get the kids' and our love of competitive sports taken care of....

I think the earlier post saying what matters is the disposable income rather than gross income was right on the money........(see what I did there!!)

2013-08-19 10:42 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

Master
Englewood, Florida
My household income is indeed, Gross. Make of it what you will. Smile
2013-08-19 12:27 PM

Pro
Burbs
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mmrocker13 We're one of those households where one of the people (not me) makes more than double what the other makes (yeah, I'm the poor bastard). We maintain separate bank accounts--although we do have one joint one for household expenses...of which multisport is decidedly not one. HOw does that get accounted for? There's just a lot of stuff to consider in this.

My wife and I don't share a single bank account.  I have no idea how much money she has or how broke she may be......nor does she know how triathlon poor I am. Laughing 

We split bills way back when we lived together before marriage and since it worked so well we just carried on.  I laugh at my friends when they tell me about arguments over who spends what.......that's just never been a part of our lives.

I have a sneaky suspicion she's a better saver than I am....but I think she'd bail me out in a pinch. Cool

It's funny you say that LB --- my husband and I do the same thing. I pay for daycare, we split the mortgage, and he pays for everything else (car insurance, utilities, cable, etc). We have a joint account but we never use it. 

2013-08-19 12:36 PM
in reply to: trishie

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by trishie
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mmrocker13 We're one of those households where one of the people (not me) makes more than double what the other makes (yeah, I'm the poor bastard). We maintain separate bank accounts--although we do have one joint one for household expenses...of which multisport is decidedly not one. HOw does that get accounted for? There's just a lot of stuff to consider in this.

My wife and I don't share a single bank account.  I have no idea how much money she has or how broke she may be......nor does she know how triathlon poor I am. Laughing 

We split bills way back when we lived together before marriage and since it worked so well we just carried on.  I laugh at my friends when they tell me about arguments over who spends what.......that's just never been a part of our lives.

I have a sneaky suspicion she's a better saver than I am....but I think she'd bail me out in a pinch. Cool

It's funny you say that LB --- my husband and I do the same thing. I pay for daycare, we split the mortgage, and he pays for everything else (car insurance, utilities, cable, etc). We have a joint account but we never use it. 

We are similar, although I make significantly more so the bills are shifted more towards me by about that same % amount.  Our joint account is actually our vacation fund.  We each put the same amount in there every month and that's how we save for our big vacations. 

2013-08-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: Guest

We are in the 50-75k range. I work as a 911 emergency communications officer for a sheriff dept in Coeur d Alene, Idaho. As well as a part time EMT for the ambulance. My wife is a full time Nursing student at the local community college and works as a barista at our family owned coffee shop . We have 3 children, (5 and 4 year old twins)
We own our home as well as a rental home we lease out. My tri costs are probably below average, although a purchased a few new toys for this season. (A new Felt b16 tri bike and carbon fiber race wheels)

2013-08-19 1:09 PM

Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by tacetman I've read that study and I wish it detailed their research methods a bit more. They actually don't really thoroughly discuss how they arrived at that "income" number. Is it gross household income? Gross personal income? I'm assuming gross personal but I couldn't find it anywhere. Plus, despite the lack of statistical power of my "study", I'm still curious how the BT community breaks down. Still better than polling first-year psychology students.

The average household income of triathletes is quite high—more than $126,000, which is
significantly higher than the national average and suggests that in an economic downturn,
triathletes, more than other segments of the population have the wherewithal to continue their

So why is that? Do triathletes make more because of their natural drive and ability to self motivate or do people that are rich just have the time and means to pursue an expensive hobby?

I think it has a lot to do with age. Triathlons tend to attract an older population than some other sports because there is less strain on the body (due to switching between the different sports muscles) and older people often have more time to train. Older people tend to be more financially stable so they can afford the triathlon equipment and travel costs.
2013-08-19 1:32 PM
in reply to: b2run

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by b2run

I think it has a lot to do with age. Triathlons tend to attract an older population than some other sports because there is less strain on the body (due to switching between the different sports muscles) and older people often have more time to train. Older people tend to be more financially stable so they can afford the triathlon equipment and travel costs.

Good point. Older people also tend to make more money.....as I posted earlier, I make 5x what I made when I graduated college. Part of that is just inflation but a large part of it is simply being paid for 26 years of engineering experience.
2013-08-19 1:58 PM

Ardmore
just for sh_ts and giggles:
- married
- 3 kids
- single income (100k bracket for now....drop in pay coming next year of about 10%)

Can't wait for the wife to get back to work!!

junr

2013-08-19 2:20 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by lisac957 I always wish polls like this would indicate how many income-earning adults are contributing to the household. Makes a big difference from 1 to 2!

Yeah, we have two income-earning adults and four expense-laden triathletes.

2013-08-21 6:34 PM

Good point. Older people also tend to make more money.....as I posted earlier, I make 5x what I made when I graduated college. Part of that is just inflation but a large part of it is simply being paid for 26 years of engineering experience.

I'd still call this line of reasoning "chicken-or-egg". Do triathlons really attract older people because of the relatively lower "toll" on the body? Or do triathlons attract EVERYONE (cause they're awesome), and older people (who typically make more money) are the only ones who can afford to participate in them to a high level of proficiency?
2013-08-22 6:36 AM

Regular
LB, the OP was asking a legit question. If you dont like the respones or comments, dont respond.
2013-08-22 8:23 AM
in reply to: hessma

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by hessma

LB, the OP was asking a legit question. If you dont like the respones or comments, dont respond.

Why not? What is wrong with dissent?
2013-08-23 12:44 PM

Regular

dissent is fine, saracsm to others responses gets old.

2013-08-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: hessma

Champion
Alabama

dissent is fine, saracsm to others responses gets old.

I agree. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. But it often sparks some lively discussion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your Household Gross Income Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Triathlon Study Shows Athletes on $100,000-Plus Incomes Seek Budget Hotels Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Tireman 4
Views: 5646 Posts: 85

2012-02-23 6:54 AM Hot Runner

My gross race-day observation (do not read if easily grossed out) Pages: 1 2

Started by ToeKnail
Views: 3487 Posts: 27

2011-06-29 12:28 PM Detroit Dan

Average House hold income Pages: 1 2 3

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 7313 Posts: 75

2009-12-14 6:12 PM gearboy

What is your household income? Pages: 1 2