General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Haines Falls, New York
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 51s
Overall Rank = 7/62
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up in my mother's guest room and realized I had forgotten my one piece race suit. I had no other athletic clothes of any kind with me. Leigh was racing as well, so I brought my stuff and held off on deciding whether I would race or not until we got to the site. Once we got there and the competitive juices started flowing, I decided it was just a sprint so it didn't really matter what I wore, and I would toe the line. My plan was to wear my boxer briefs under the wetsuit, put on my sweat pants and race t-shirt in T1 and not worry about how absurd I would look.
Event warmup:

Because I waited until the last possible moment to decide to race, I actually missed the start. I was making my way down to the beach when the horn blew for my wave. I threw on my goggles, sprinted down the hill and into the water while spectators laughed and I heard a race official shout "one more coming!" to the guy counting athletes going in the water. Not my smoothest start, but at least I didn't have time to think about getting in the frigid water.
Swim
  • 12m 24s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

After hitting the water 20-30 seconds after everyone else had left, I was in all out sprint mode. I quickly caught up to the pack and started making my way through. Drafting opportunities were scarce until the last stretch as I was playing catch up. Very happy with my overall pace. Navigation on the way back to the beach was tough because we were heading straight at the rising sun.
What would you do differently?:

Start with everyone else!
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

Made my way up the hill and into transition. I think a few people watching were surprising when I took off my wetsuit to reveal nothing but soaked boxer briefs underneath. I quickly toss on my sweatpants and HITS race t-shirt and got my bike gear on and headed out.

Not my usual routine for T1, to say the least.
Bike
  • 48m 54s
  • 12.42 miles
  • 15.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I was expecting the sweatpants to give me more problems getting caught up in my crank, but it wasn't too bad. The worst part was my boxer briefs soaked through the top part of the pants - good thing it was a short race! I kept my pace hard and worked the hills pretty well.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

A little more routine. I was glad it wasn't a hot day as I headed out for the run.

Not much
Run
  • 23m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty good run, there weren't many people around me by this point so I ran hard, but it wasn't like I was trying to chase someone down. I knew I was pretty close to the front (top 10 anyway) and that made me laugh given I was dressed like someone who had no idea what they were doing.

Not much
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a bit and waited for Leigh to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having my usual race clothes, but I still did well and it makes for a funny story. I don't know many others that can say they swam in underwear and wore sweatpants and the race provided shirt because that's all they had.

Event comments:

Another well run race for HITS, looking forward to doing more of these events in the future as they become more popular.

Last updated: 2013-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:24 | 750 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 6/62
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Counter clockwise upside down triangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:54 | 12.42 miles | 15.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 9/62
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Lots of ups and downs on an out and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:31 | 03.1 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 7/62
Performance: Average
Course: A mix of trails and campsite roads, not many flat sections.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-18 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain II - Half Iron Course

Started by bdenehy
Views: 1596 Posts: 2

2012-09-24 9:32 AM Meulen

HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Half Iron Course

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 1136 Posts: 1

2012-06-24 1:19 PM doctorbob18

HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Olympic Course

Started by PinkPrincess
Views: 1963 Posts: 3

2012-06-13 12:56 PM PinkPrincess

HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Full Iron Course

Started by arnenes
Views: 1674 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 9:09 PM arnenes

HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Olympic Course

Started by hswagner1
Views: 1098 Posts: 1

2012-06-10 9:43 AM hswagner1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.