Door Country Triathlon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 50s
Overall Rank = 5/176
Age Group = Male (20-24)
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

We didnt get a hotel for this since it was 1 hr 20 min away, so we got up at 3:50am. I ate a breakfast of yogurt, cherrios, bluberries and a banana. Headed out the door by 4:30 and made it there by 6 or so. Set up my transition area and got nervous looking at the somewhat choppy water.
Event warmup:

Did some active stretching and a short bike ride to check out the course coming out of the transition area. The water was cold (63F), so I didnt start warming up with swimming until about 15 min before the start.
Swim
  • 06m 56s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

At the start of my wave, it was pretty hectic. This was the first time I actually got in the front of the group right away. I was feeling pretty confident with the wetsuit on. People were all over the place running into each other and everything. At one point, I was actually on top of some dude. Dont really know how that happened. Once it thinned out a little near the ennd of the break water, I had to deal with the chop. I sucked water a few times and sighting was hard too. I was not very comfortable on this swim and was having a hard to breathing. Since I was having some problems breathing, sighting wasnt very good either. I slowed down a little and concentrated on getting a full breath in and fully exhaling. I eventually found my grove on the way back in that was getting back into the break waters.
What would you do differently?:

Sight and breath better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

As soon as I got out of the water, wetsuit strippers were there waiting for you. I found one, she told me to just lay down and they would yank it off. The right leg came off easily, but the left leg was stuck on the chip. Some other guy was working that leg and eventually got it off. Ran to my bike, got a little confused because I though I was down the wrong one and missed my bike by a few bikes. Turned around, threw my stuff down, slipped on shoes, strapped helmet and headed out.

Run a "mock" water the bike run so I dont get confused where my bike is.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 29s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 23.35 mile/hr
Comments:

HR was high, but this was a really comfortable ride. Smokin! I ended up coming in 1st on the bike for my AG! The next fastest bike in my AG was 1:15 behind me. I sprinted a few times, just 'cause there were some guys that would pass me, then slow down, then I would pass, then they would pass and slow down. I got sick of it after one or two times and on the second pass, I would mash on the pedals so they couldnt catch back up.

This course was awesome! I absolutely loved it. Rolling hills, some uphill, a big down hill and was able to really give it some juice on it. My side cramped up a little at some times, but was nothing serious and went away pretty quickly.

Drink more. I only drank 1 bottle of water that was mixed with 2 scoops of Perpetuem.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Wasnt my fastest T2, but no blunders were made so I call it a success. Took a little bit to get my socks on, but other than that everything was good.

Find a faster way to get socks on. Right now I roll them on.
Run
  • 41m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Right out of T2, I felt good besides the cramps. Starting out my left hamstring was starting to cramp, then my side and neck, then my quads, but the only one that really stuck around was my quads until after Bluff Pass rd. Even then, the quad cramp wasnt that bad. I made a point to drink Gatorade at every water stop to help them out. The first 2 miles or so were pretty flat and fast. Then the turn to bluff pass rd. That was tough. Its .5 mi (I think) and climbs 200 and some feet. Tough, yes, doable yes. I was able to run up the whole thing, although my pace slowed to 8:00 something, maybe even in the low 9s. The hill was basically like walking up smooth steps. There was a water stop at the top and some of the volunteers were laughing at all of us gasping for air. Oh well. After Bluff Pass Rd, it was fairly easy sailing. Alot of small rolling hills up on the bluff. And, my streak of not having anyone pass me on the run was broke today. Some dude passed me around mi 3.5 and I couldnt keep up with him. He was going pretty good - ended up running a 39:07 10k and he was the one who beat me out for 1st in my AG. Its fine though. I was able to pass a lot of people. Overall I felt good about the run. This was my first olympic bike and run, so I was happy with how I was able to handle the run after haulin' on the bike. After the run, one of the guys came up to me and asked me if I was at the GB Tri. I said yes, and he said "So you're the dude that smokes me on the run all the time." Turns out I smoked him towards the end at GB and at this one too! Hell yeah!

Drink more on the bike so I dont cramp up. Maybe carry with some salts or Gu to help that also.

And, run down the next dude that passes me 'cause it just might mean winning my AG or not.
Post race
Warm down:

After the sprint to the finish, I got medal and walked around for a bit. Found Amy, talked to Ray (stargazer) and did a little stretching and down a lot of water. I was pretty dehydrated. Did a short run to the transition area and grabbed my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always, the swim. Cramps on the run also kinda sucked. I guess the cramps would really classify as "race nutrition". The only Calories I took in the whole race was 2 Scoops of Perp and some gatorade.

Event comments:

This was my best race to date and I am stoked with the results! I would have really like the get the full swim in since this was supposed to be my first oly, but theres a little part of me that is glad I didnt have to go the full distance in that water. Overall the race was setup awesome and was very well organized. I had a hard time getting water for my water bottles before the race, but eventually found a tent that gave me 5 bottles of water to fill them with. They had Gatorade Endurance all over the place though. Awesome race! I am already looking forward to next years.

Last updated: 2006-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:56 | 400 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 81/176
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 134; Max HR: 157
Suit:
Course: Since the water was so cold, they cut the long course swim to the sprint course. :( I was a little disappointed since this would have been my first oly, but the water was hella cold. Even with a sleeveless wetsuit it was really cold. The course headed out past the break water, left turn at the buoy and headed back in diagnolly to T1. The start and finish of the swim were at two different areas.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:29 | 25.48 miles | 23.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 9/176
Avg HR: 157; Max HR: 169
Wind: Little
Course: The course went out, made a loop (no turnaround) and met back up the the sprint course a few miles before the end. Course was mostly flat, but had some rolling hills and maybe 1 hill that I got out of the saddle for. Also had a smokin' decline which I was able to hit 41 MPH on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:17 | 06.21 miles | 06m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 12/176
Avg HR: 168; Max HR: 177
Course: Starting flat then hit the dreaded Bluff Pass Rd hill to some small rolling hills, back down a decent size decline and into the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-23 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Door Country Triathlon

2006-07-23 5:01 PM
in reply to: #490434

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Door Country Triathlon
My dream race... a sprint swim with a oly bike and run. Hey awesome race again Rob... you are the man! Those super human powers sure come in handy (or maybe it is just all that hard work.)
2006-07-24 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

OMG you are fast !

What a bike !! Awesome just awesome.

Congratulations with the 2nd place and 5 overall WOW

How far where you from the AG win ?

2006-07-24 4:35 PM
in reply to: #491640

User image

Expert
Mesteren - 2006-07-24 4:24 PM

OMG you are fast !

What a bike !! Awesome just awesome.

Congratulations with the 2nd place and 5 overall WOW

How far where you from the AG win ?

Thanks!  I was only :51 away from winning my AG.  The person in 4th came in :16 ahead of me, the person in 3rd (and who my my AG) came in :51 ahead of me.  Not too shabby for my first "kinda" oly.  Results are posted here: http://www.doorcountytriathlon.com/results/index.php. My bib# is 114.

-Rob 

2006-07-24 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA

Great race, amazing times all around.

Spoke to a wife of one of the lifegaurds today, turns out they ended up pullng 17 people from the water.

2006-07-24 7:46 PM
in reply to: #491845

User image

Expert
StarGazer - 2006-07-24 7:40 PM

Great race, amazing times all around.

Spoke to a wife of one of the lifegaurds today, turns out they ended up pullng 17 people from the water.

Wow!  Was that just because of the coldness?

-Rob

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door Country Triathlon Rss Feed