General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Welp....that's that Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-20 10:22 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Welp....that's that

A couple of people have asked....so for the other two who might be interested in an update....

Torn meniscus (sp?)...see the surgeon on Friday....season's over.  Very happy there does not appear to be any ligament/tendon damage.

Here's the kicker....I had that knee scoped 35 years ago when orthoscopic surgery was in it's infancy. My MRI today shows a "surgical clip" under one of my tendons and likely causing much of the pain.  Nobody knows where it came from or how it got under the tendon.....but it was clear on the MRI.  Best guess is it came loose from wherever it had been and ended up lodged where it is. (medical terms as I understand them)

That crap only happens to me. Laughing 

I'm ready to get on with it and get back to working out...... I'm bored out of my mind.

2013-08-20 10:26 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

I know how you feel.

I trained 3 years to finally BQ, and then knee pain, which I had never had prior to the final training cycle, made me miss Boston.  I went pretty hard on it, thinking that I might be able to advil and run my way through it.  Ended up having to take 4-6 months off of running.  But- if it's the cartilage under your kneecap, figure 3 months of no running.  Maybe you'll be faster- but running = injuries.

best thing to do is to run with headphones.  helps your body heal while running.  

2013-08-21 6:24 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by Left Brain

A couple of people have asked....so for the other two who might be interested in an update....

Torn meniscus (sp?)...see the surgeon on Friday....season's over.  Very happy there does not appear to be any ligament/tendon damage.

Here's the kicker....I had that knee scoped 35 years ago when orthoscopic surgery was in it's infancy. My MRI today shows a "surgical clip" under one of my tendons and likely causing much of the pain.  Nobody knows where it came from or how it got under the tendon.....but it was clear on the MRI.  Best guess is it came loose from wherever it had been and ended up lodged where it is. (medical terms as I understand them)

I'm ready to get on with it and get back to working out...... I'm bored out of my mind.

season might not be over. healing up from meniscal surgery is fast - depends on how hard it is to get that clip out....
drink more beer
2013-08-21 7:16 AM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Originally posted by TriToy

season might not be over. healing up from meniscal surgery is fast - depends on how hard it is to get that clip out.... drink more beer

x2
I had meniscus surgery just before Memorial Day last May 2012.  I was doing combo walk/run by mid-end July.  Still 2 months, but not the 9-18mos (dpeending on person) for an ACL.  Not to mention, isn't it always good medical advice to drink more beer, regardless of injury type? Laughing

2013-08-21 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4832416

User image

New user

Orlando
I crashed on my bike 3 weeks before IMCDA this year effectively ending my race. The doc wanted to give me drugs, but I stuck with lots of beer. Now I am overweight from too much beer and no exercise for 5 weeks. Heal quickly and go easy on the beer (I can drink it for you).
2013-08-27 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Thinking about you today LB. Hope all goes well in the OR. Here's to good drugs and a quick recovery :)

2013-08-27 2:54 PM

Originally posted by Left BrainI'm ready to get on with it and get back to working out...... I'm bored out of my mind.

Last time I was down with a bum leg, I locked the seat in one spot on a C2 and rowed about 10,000 miles in 3months... If I didn't so SOMETHING I was certain my brain was going to fall out...

Rest well and heal up soon.
2013-08-27 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
2 words: Pain Meds.

What you don't take you can use to finance yours (or your kids) triathlon habit.
2013-08-27 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Wow. Sorry to hear that you having a rough time. Those clips are crazy little suckers. I had a tubal ligation about 6 years ago and they put clips on my fallopian (sp?) Tubes. A few months ago I had some x rays done at the chiropractor and that showed that one of my clips had fallen off and was totally out of place. Just floating around in there and I was advised to not seek surgery to have it removed. Ah well. The worst part is that it cost me over $300to determine that I am not fertile and nothing further needs to be done to prevent pregnancy. Bleh!

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you heal fast.
2013-08-27 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hoping that you get some not so bad news from your Doc today and it isn't something that involves major surgery.

Perhaps you can replenish your beer supply while you are out.
2013-08-27 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Just do the 26.2m hopping on the good leg!

2013-08-28 4:15 AM

User image

Master
Aw, man! Dangit! Hope it's nothing unfixable. Take care of yourself!
2013-08-28 7:05 AM

User image

Pro

Looks like my Tahoe IM is not going to happen.  I've been battling nagging knee pain while running for the last few months.  I went from a 175 mile month to 120 to 80 to figuring maybe I'd just have to walk a lot of the run.  Last week the doc didn't think anything was torn and diagnosed it as tendonitis. The plan was another week of rest, try to run today, and then see him tomorrow for a possible cortisone injection. 

I rode 60 yesterday with no problem and then 20 minutes into my run today, taking it slow but feeling good, I put my foot down and it was like I got shot in my knee.....took a hop step from the pain and then when I put my foot down my knee collapsed sideways.  I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure that's bad.  It's about the size of a cantaloupe and completely locked up.

I've got a lot of good things going on in my life so this won't knock me down much, and it's really nothing compared to what others are forced to endure......but it's nice to be able to come on here and say.......... &(&(*%  $#%#@&!!!!!  Laughing

Sorry to hear that, LB. I have a pretty good idea how you feel, I pulled out of LP this year. Went from training 16 hours a week to barely able to run.
Make the best of it - I got to spend a ton of time with my sons before school starts back up.

Now the goal is to get healthy and focus on being strong for next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Welp....that's that Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Welp...I hit the pool today

Started by Neek-neek
Views: 1301 Posts: 13

2012-03-08 4:58 PM sci

Welp...I finally joined the club

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1072 Posts: 11

2009-05-06 8:12 AM lvthgme

Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in" Pages: 1 2

Started by lisac957
Views: 2317 Posts: 40

2007-03-16 10:07 AM up4challenges

That's what I fiigured...

Started by Kpace
Views: 906 Posts: 8

2007-02-02 2:02 PM morey1

That's why they call it a "Try" athlon

Started by Jaz1069
Views: 955 Posts: 8

2005-07-24 7:06 PM us50090