General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First tri yesterday, learning experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-19 6:59 AM

User image

Subject: First tri yesterday, learning experience
Hi everyone,

After lurking for a while, and after completing my first super-sprint triathlon yesterday, I decided to come out of the shadow and say hello. I'm a 38 year old female, I live in the Netherlands. I'm fairly new to swimming, biking and running as sports (i.e. never practiced when in my younger years) so I've pretty much started from 0 when I begun on my training journey shortly after my gastric bypass surgery in October 2012. I made giant leaps in terms of fitness, but there's still a lot to achieve... considering I finished dead last out of 50 participants yesterday

The coming year, I want to focus on learning to swim properly (I lost so much time and energy in the swim!) and increase my fitness level. Hopefully I'll be able to complete a sprint triathlon next summer, and not finish last

Pleased to meet you all

2013-08-19 7:52 AM
in reply to: avsie2013

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: First tri yesterday, learning experience
Hi! I am new too (joined yesterday) of similar age (43) and new to triathlon too! Just started training for my first sprint distance tri next year.

Congratulations on your first tri! Out of interest, what time did you do as a beginner?
2013-08-19 9:30 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

I finished my super-sprint in 59:33, which is very slow. The distances were 250m/10km/2.5km.

The swimming killed me. I can swim, but I can't swim fast nor 'well'. I knew this, so it wasn't surprising, but every other girl competing were several levels above me and it was a hard reality check! (I did swim during the winter, but not enough obviously and I really need to learn the technique properly.) I managed to catch up and pass 3 girls on the bike, but then they all passed me again on the run

I want to do a sprint distance next year, and first thing first - swimming lessons! I'm starting next week!
2013-08-19 10:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
The important is that you finished! I suppose the other girls were not beginners? The one I am doing next year is a sprint (400m/20km /5km) but only for "amateurs", ie not affiliated to a club so most people will be beginners. My goal is to finish and if possible under 2 hours.

Just like you, I think the swimming is my (biggest) weakness.

Edited by Rollergirl 2013-08-19 10:05 AM
2013-08-19 12:05 PM

User image

It was mixed. There were girls who have been fit and active all their lives, who easily transitioned to triathlon after years running, biking and/or swimming. But there were also beginners, like me. They were just better trained

I just posted my race report in the 'Race Reports!' forum, I don't have all the time data, but it will do for now!

When is your race? Have you started training already?
2013-08-19 1:10 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I'll go and read your report. My race is in May next year. I have started training slowly, starting early!

2013-08-21 6:08 AM

Sounds like you did great... the important thing is that you had the courage to enter the race, and you managed to finish.... some of us ( like me ) havent even got that far yet, so you are well ahead of some of us newbies. ive done a far bit of cycling over the last few years, but am very new to running and swimming, so just working on those and then i'll go for a super sprint, and if I finish I'll be over the moon! Anyway, keep us posted with your progress and congratulations once again.

David
2013-08-22 12:01 PM
in reply to: Fletch24

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I found my way to your Facebook page and " liked" it!
2013-08-23 8:07 AM

User image

hehehe cool! Thanks!! Maybe it's a bit pedantic to have a FB page, but for me it's a way to be 'accountable' for my exercise and my training, and also not bore everyone with training updates - so the ones who are interested can follow them specifically!
2013-08-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: Fletch24

User image

Hi David,

It's still a big blow to ego to finish last, but as you said - at least I finished

I'm starting next week with swimming lessons to actually learn a proper front crawl, twice per week. I figured the earlier I start with lessons, the more time I'll have to go swim and practice *with proper technique* instead of just logging junk mileage like I did this spring!
2013-08-23 8:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I have one too actually, for pretty much same reasons

2013-08-23 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hello and welcome!! 

Congrats to you on how far you've come already on your journey, and bigger congrats on finishing your first tri!!  It doesn't matter what place you came in, what matters is that you did the race.  There's a thread somewhere in the TriTalk section with a whole bunch of people (including me) that have finished DFL (dead effing last), and we are in some good company.

Pleased to meet you too   

2013-08-24 3:35 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Hey, don't sweat 'last place'.

I've had one race that I was DFL 2 years in a row, and the third, well, I made the less than wise decision to run the 10k portion the day before to prove I could finally do it without walking most of it and I ended up NOT finishing the race. Just took too much out of me. Oops.

50th place is cool. I wouldn't mind a 50th place. Most races I've done being 50th in my AGE GROUP might be an accomplishment!

You DID it. You finished it. You were NOT on a couch....

Good job.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First tri yesterday, learning experience Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Just finished my first tri yesterday

Started by element77
Views: 768 Posts: 5

2010-07-27 10:46 AM dandr614

finished my first Tri yesterday

Started by jonahjay
Views: 620 Posts: 5

2009-06-24 4:48 PM Jordan300

first Tri attempt--no swimming experience...

Started by Beil
Views: 621 Posts: 3

2009-06-05 8:16 AM ray6foot7

Looking for First Tri Experience

Started by JonnyP
Views: 666 Posts: 5

2004-09-09 6:00 PM COgirl

Completed first tri yesterday!

Started by jeanneroth
Views: 739 Posts: 8

2004-06-15 2:19 PM jeanneroth
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 31, 2011
author : gracetaBitha
comments : 2
What could've gone wrong did not go wrong. Everything that couldn't go right, went right. Result: The most wonderful, perfect, first triathlon for yours truly.
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : August 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?