General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penn Yan, New York
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 14h 19m 56s
Overall Rank = 17/26
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

It was nice to do an iron distance race that I could sleep in my own bed from one perspective, on the other hand it was a bit more challenging to get into the spirit of the race not traveling to a race site and spending the days leading up to the race with other triathletes.

Dud and I drove down Saturday and dropped of the bike and picked up the packet. For a first year race this went pretty smoothly,

I was fortunate enough to meet Bill from my mentor group for dinner as he came up to do the HIM!

Race morning I made some breakfast early and tried to wrap my head around the race in front of me. Picked up Dud and drove down and finished setting up transition and packing special needs bags.
Event warmup:

Nothing really other than a short swim to check the goggle seal etc.
Swim
  • 1h 35m 47s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I know for some, the wrestling match at the beginning of an IM is part of the thrill of doing the race, but having done 2 branded races, starting with only 26 other racers was king of nice. I am not much of a drafter anyways.
The outbound part seemed somewhat choppy and the last buoy seemed to be out there a long ways. I think that part of that was the way they spaced the buoys as the first 3 were tight and the last one was way out.
After the short cross to the line in I turned back towards the beach and that section seemed to move faster. I thought I was alone, but once the chop was to my back there actually a few people around me.

They set the swim up so that even though it was 2 loops, we never had to get out of the water or stop swimming if we didn't want to. I did stand up for a second to check the time and adjust the goggles.

Other than coming up on some of the HIM swimmers towards the end, the second loop was just more of the same.

I think the course was long, the Garmin showed a couple of hundred more yards which ordinarily I wouldn't put much stock in but all the times seemed slow with the exception of a couple of fishes (Dudley!) I also heard that they had some trouble setting up the buoys for the race.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know if I will ever excel at swimming although I have gotten to a point where I tolerate it and actually train the swim more. I probably could have done some more swims with the full suit leading up to this.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Considering I decided to go with socks and took the time to dry off a bit since it was cool, I am not disappointed with the time in a long race.

nothing
Bike
  • 6h 44m 34s
  • 116 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I got into a pretty good rhythm right away of drinking and eating and maintaining the goal watts of between 170 and 180. First loop went by quickly and passed several riders from both divisions. Skipped special needs the first time by and was surprised to see Dud in there. Turns out he had a flat on that loop.

Second and 3rd loop provided more of the same with the exception of stopping at the aid station with Y and Y's mom. Gave me a chance to stretch and use the rest room. This was a planned strategy to keep the ITB and lower back in check, which for the most part worked. I also threw in some stretches at special needs after swapping out the bottles.

I must look faster than I am as the 3rd loop saw me passing some other full distance athletes that asked if I was on the 4th lap. I wish! LOL, but I think I was still catching some of the faster swimmers at this point.

I keep the gel flask on the top tube with Velcro and sometime on the 3rd lap I lost the bottle for the second half. So the last time by special needs I grabbed my emergency PB sandwich, That may have been a mistake. I also grabbed a banana at the aid station which could also have been the mistake.

Towards the end of the last loop the stomach began to sour and nothing tasted remotely palatable. But I finished strong on the down hill, even passing cars going through town. Returned to the park, racked the bike and sat down.

I think the nutrition plan worked up until loosing the gel flask. I believe either the banana or the sandwich had gone bad as nothing made the stomach better and sitting here the next day writing this it is still out of sorts.

I didn't think the extra 4 miles would make a big difference and I guess in the grand scheme of things it probably didn't but it sure added about 15 minutes or so.

Put an extra gel flask in special needs just in case. My cycling is improving and with over 5200 feet of climbing, I am happy with outcome. Especially with 3 restroom breaks and the chatting at the aid stations with Y and her mom. They put in a long day doing that and then waiting for Dud and I to do the run.
Transition 2
  • 04m 53s
Comments:

Small transition area made getting in and out of transition pretty easy. Once I was seated I really didn't want to get up, but I did.

Stayed there! LOL!
Run
  • 5h 50m 34s
  • 26.4 miles
  • 13m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Well it didn't take long to realize that the stomach was going to be a problem for the rest of the day. I had some EFS with me and that didn't want to stay down. I tried some water and ice at the first aid station and that didn't help. So I settled into a run till I wanted to puke and walk until it went away for the first lap. Towards the end it just never seemed to get better.

As I was making the turn for the second lap, Dud was coming out off the bike so I waited for him and did most of the second loop with Dud, His knee was acting up about on the same schedule as my stomach so we walked a lot and ran some. Tried different drinks to see if it would help, coke was the only thing remotely close to settling things.

By the end of the second lap, the stomach was acting better so I left Dud and tried to run most of it. I guess I was about 80% successful, but still struggled with the stomach and now due to lack of hydration and nutrition, the legs were starting to cramp.

So the 4th lap became a run some, walk a lot proposition. I was hoping before the race started to be back and packed up before day light, so it was a disappointment to have to take a flashlight from the volunteer with about 4 miles to go.

But, I push the walk pace along and other than stopping to say good bye to Bill who after his race volunteered at the first aid station for the rest of the day. Who also was the only one not to abandon his post until the race was done!!

I got to the last turn off towards the finish and started running again, It didn't feel good, but I didn't have any interest in walking the finish. Unfortunately the finish line was all but abandoned with just a few volunteers and Y, Shirley and Dud waiting for me.

It was surely a relief to be done.

I don't know, but I guess I will make sure I don't go off plan for nutrition and make sure I have extra with me just in case.

The disappointing part was that the legs responded well to the running when I didn't feel like hurling. Hell, I would have been happy to hurl as I think it would have helped!!
Post race
Warm down:

Loaded up the gear into the truck and try to wind down some.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition choices

Event comments:

This was a first year race put on by racers trying to keep the cost of long course affordable. Subsequently there were few frills but I think the success in keeping the costs in line. Hopefully next year the participation grows. Not sure I would do the full again, but I would certainly consider the half.

Last updated: 2012-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:35:47 | 4224 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 20/26
Performance:
Suit: Full sleeved
Course: Out and back twice
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:44:34 | 116 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 10/26
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4 loops around Yates county
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 69
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:50:34 | 26.4 miles | 13m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 107/26
Performance: Bad
Course: 4 out and back along the lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 3:28 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

2013-08-19 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4833440

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons
Way to persevere out there Ken. It was great meeting you and Dudley. Too bad I couldnt talk you into LP next year. I hadnt known that the other aid stations weren't manned. If the organizers or someone told me, they were close enough to make rounds and keep them stocked at least. The half was fun. I know they are new, but given that one of the organizers is an IM veteran, there were one or two oversights that just shouldnt have been, but overall, a pretty good setup. Did you find the results online? I havent been able to.
2013-08-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Wow Ken - awesome job finishing in what sounds like a brutal run! Next stop IM FL!!!!
2013-08-19 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4833440

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Wow, that was a lot to push through.  Choppy swim, losing the gel flask with plan B nutrition not sitting right--good job pushing through and respecting your limitations.

Sounds like a great race venue and organization.

2013-08-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Nice job and now to IMFL and beyond!!!

Edited by dexter 2013-08-20 10:19 AM
2013-08-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: dexter

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Great job in difficult conditions! Way to persevere and push through!

2013-08-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Ken,
Wow - amazing you you stayed in the race and finished with a pretty decent time at that. You mental make up in incredible!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

High Cloud Peasantman Sprint Tri

Started by tdprange
Views: 889 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 2:08 PM tdprange

High Cloud Peasantman Sprint Tri

Started by pareilly2000
Views: 796 Posts: 1

2013-05-06 9:03 AM pareilly2000

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by Tkimble01
Views: 1371 Posts: 1

2010-06-28 3:07 PM Tkimble01

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 1290 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 1:37 PM fcrellin791

Barrie Triathlon, Duathlon, Kids of Steel

Started by TennisGal
Views: 907 Posts: 1

2005-08-07 7:45 PM TennisGal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.