General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Faster with bilateral breathing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-19 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Faster with bilateral breathing?
This is an interesting finding for me recently. I started swimming a little over a year ago from scratch. I struggled for a long time as many do and found that I needed to breathe every 2nd stroke in order to get enough air. I switch the side I breathe on every length of the pool. Been swimming this way untiljust a few weeks ago. My left shoulder occasionaly bothers me which lead me to reading up on the swim smooth site. They said that this usually comes from lack of rotation. They suggest learning to breathe every 3 strokes. I started working on this since I am past the feeling like I am drowning stage. It took a few weeks to get the hang of but I got it down now. Not only does my shoulder feel better but I am faster too! I inadvertently did my usual 750 TT today. This is the distance I like to do once in a while at an all out effort. Today I did it without planning to so it was not an all out effort and I was 2 seconds faster than my previous pr for this distance. Anyway, I am pretty excited as it's been a while since I have had any new swim break throughs. Thanks for reading. This got a bit long. :-)

2013-08-19 4:01 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Faster with bilateral breathing?
Good work on the faster swim times. Some food for thought...

Breathe every 2 strokes versus every 3 strokes equals 50% more oxygen. When doing swims longer then 100's oxygen becomes quite essential as you move out of the anaerobic phase. However, breathing only to one side in triathlon can host several issues; muscle imbalances, swim zig-zagging, etc.

I recommend to bilateral breathe every 5, 10 strokes, while in races I breathe every 2nd stroke to keep the oxygen supply high, sometimes switching sides depending on buoy placement.
2013-08-19 4:12 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by bcagle25

Good work on the faster swim times. Some food for thought...

Breathe every 2 strokes versus every 3 strokes equals 50% more oxygen. When doing swims longer then 100's oxygen becomes quite essential as you move out of the anaerobic phase. However, breathing only to one side in triathlon can host several issues; muscle imbalances, swim zig-zagging, etc.

I recommend to bilateral breathe every 5, 10 strokes, while in races I breathe every 2nd stroke to keep the oxygen supply high, sometimes switching sides depending on buoy placement.

Yes, I have wondered a bit about how this breathing every 3 strokes would work in a race. I won't be racing any time soon due to running injuries. Bleh! I imagine I would go back to breathing every 2nd stroke during a race. I like that I have lots of options now. During my recent training swims, I sometimes go back to one sided breathing for a few extra breaths when needed. Then switch back to bilateral. Kinda fun. Now I need to start doing flip turns!
2013-08-19 5:05 PM
in reply to: desertchica

I've been working on my weak-side breathing (5-7sec/100 slower than my strong side) and I'm finding that I'm getting faster on both sides. Unfortunately, the gap between the sides remains, despite swimming exclusively with my weak-side breathing for 2 months.

Ultimately on race day, you'll be better served by getting as much oxygen as possible. Sun Yang takes it to extremes and coming off the wall, sometimes throws in three breaths in a row (yup, Right-left-right breath - I get crazy dizzy when I try that!)
2013-08-19 9:05 PM

User image

NC

What does bilateral breathe every 5, 10 strokes mean?

2013-08-19 10:41 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
5 breathes to the left then 5 to the right, repeat.

2013-08-19 10:45 PM

User image

NC

5 breathes to the left then 5 to the right, repeat.

Thanks. I totally misread that as breathe every 5/10 strokes.

2013-08-20 4:55 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Never had a problem with breathing on one side until my first 2.4 OWS. Right side wore out and I started swimming in circles. I still struggle with bi-lateral breathing. Any tips to keep that desperately de-oxygenatated feeling at bay?
2013-08-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: Batcheldor

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by Batcheldor Never had a problem with breathing on one side until my first 2.4 OWS. Right side wore out and I started swimming in circles. I still struggle with bi-lateral breathing. Any tips to keep that desperately de-oxygenatated feeling at bay?
I used to only be able to do about 100 yards before the oxygen deficit became too much. I tried a few times to switch to bilateral but just couldn't do it - then I signed up for a Masters class.

My Masters coach really wanted me to stick with bilateral because he said my stroke was so much longer, smoother and more balanced.  He started me out doing half the shorter sets (less than 200 yds) bilateral and half one-sided.  For instance, I'd do a 100yds at 90% effort breathing on one side, and then to a recovery 100 yds at 60% effort bilateral.  After a couple of months, I was doing them all bilateral without the oxygen deficit.  After a couple of more months, I was doing long distances bilateral and it was so natural that it felt like I was hyperventilating when I took breaths every two strokes on one side.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Faster with bilateral breathing? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Struggling with bilateral breathing, well breathing in general Pages: 1 2

Started by merlin2375
Views: 3737 Posts: 30

2009-05-16 7:35 PM MacMadame

bilateral breathing- I need help

Started by imnotjoking
Views: 1276 Posts: 16

2005-03-18 5:40 PM ChrisM

How to improve bilateral breathing

Started by Yoshiko
Views: 939 Posts: 8

2005-01-23 4:03 PM adventuress

bilateral breathing drills Pages: 1 2

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 2698 Posts: 27

2005-01-06 9:57 AM JohnnyKay

Bilateral Breathing

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 1992 Posts: 23

2004-12-01 2:07 PM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : February 4, 2011
comments : 1
Drills and suggestions to make bilateral breathing seem effortless

date : December 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on swimming faster, sinking during the shark fin drill, benefit of a wetsuit and breathing exercises to help swimming.
date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : October 5, 2007
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.
date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.