World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 26m 6s
Overall Rank = 911/2200
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 67/208
Pre-race routine:

woke up around 2am because I couldn't sleep anymore (target wakeup 3am).
went through checklist...OJ and banana, take shower, purge, make drinks for bike, make coffee, put on sunscreen.
put on race numbers. make race breakfast - 2 eggs on toast..lol
got bags ready and prompt departure at 4am!

at transition, fueled up bike...added a few things to T2 bag. purged some more.
headed to swim start (10min walk)

Event warmup:

none.
got into my wetsuit about 30 minutes prior to start.
Swim
  • 1h 11m 55s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

myfeet were pretty icy feeling in the cold sand waiting for the wave start (near the last wave).
finally off went the cannon at 6:54am. congested with the usual traffic jam...found open water after a few minutes. the narrow opening due to boats made it a bit more difficult. generally was a straight shot, but kept bumping into the slower swimmers from previous waves. the inside of the buoys was better so I hung out there. the turn buoys were another traffic jam and sun in my eyes as we rounded the second turn buoy to the other half of the swim. decent pace going on the way back and other than counting more buoys than they said, I wound up staggering out at 1:11. shallow exit, and a LONG run to transition on mostly carpeted road.
What would you do differently?:

probably nothing. Was happy with swim.
Transition 1
  • 11m 25s
Comments:

I ran in the wetsuit and stripped it off in the changing tent. did a full clothes change into bike kit. I wanted to be comfortable. fumbled around for awhile as I was kind of dizzy from the swim and run to the tent. but gained composure and got it done and on the bike.

again probably nothing. I was happy with the result
Bike
  • 6h 12m 51s
  • 180 kms
  • 29.02 km/hr
Comments:

very scenic course, loved the views. Although a bit boring on the stretch to Labelle.
My strategy was to keep the power under control the whole way and be conservative due to the hills..especially the first loop. I felt really good after the first 90KM and tried to work the second loop as best as I could. The roads are excellent the course is great. I loved the last section where you have some short steep climbs and fast descents. I think some accidents happened there, where people were exceeding 50mph

push the bike a bit more.
Transition 2
  • 05m 16s
Comments:

again a full clothes change. went pretty well.
Run
  • 4h 44m 41s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 06m 45s  min/km
Comments:

Nice run course but took it's toll on me, especially after that hilly bike. The hills coming off the start were hard and I was choking on a PnJ sandwich which wasn't fun. Something poking me in my shoe after the first few miles...sat down to fix that. Plodded down the railroad bed to the 10KM turn around and long plod back to the village for the first half. Aid stations every few KMs which was nice. Some every KM. Taunted by Mike Reilly at the 21KM mark for the second loop...time eating away at me..very tired and struggled to get to the 30KM...used every ounce of mental and physical strength to tough it out the last 12 KM. Knee started to give out at the last 2KM..hobbled over the last 800M to jump for joy over the finish line. Although I would've liked at better run split, I was grateful of finishing due to a foot injury that has been plagueing me,
Post race
Warm down:

ate everything thing they had for the post race food. Even the local favorite - cheese, french fries, and gravy. tasted good. not health food but at that point I really didn't care. hobbled to transition to get my stuff and a long long walk to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

foot problem....taking time off to heal the heel

Event comments:

amazing race. such a nice venue. I think it's going to fill up fast in the future.
fun and highly recommended.

Last updated: 2013-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:55 | 3800 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 51/208
Overall: 695/2200
Performance:
Suit: full
Course: single loop, clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:12:51 | 180 kms | 29.02 km/hr
Age Group: 72/208
Overall: 929/2200
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 loop hilly course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:16
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:44:41 | 42.2 kms | 06m 45s  min/km
Age Group: 67/208
Overall: 911/2200
Performance:
Course: 2 loop course that starts out with some hills and continues into old town, onto a railroad track bed. turnaround at 10KM and then back to the village for another 21KM.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

2013-08-20 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4833699

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant
Good job.
2013-08-20 8:17 AM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
thank you!

this was my second IM, challenging with the hills.
2013-08-20 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
That is a great finish - especially with a foot that's been bugging you. Glad to hear you enjoyed the poutine but not the beer? (I didn't partake last year - no hot food was out and I didn't want to wait).  I agree that it was super hard not to be taunted by the finish line on the run after that first loop ... but then you know what you're in for and have something to look forward to! 
2013-08-20 3:04 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
thanks! oh I had forgotten what they had called it...Poutine...I did have a can of beer they gave me, washed it all down with that.

MT was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the people, the views, and the calmness of the area. It felt like the country I knew growing up, lily pads and frogs in the stream...giant crows...wild flowers everywhere. clean air and water. just a nice place to race.
2013-08-25 6:37 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Regular
MD
Congrats on a nice race despite the foot problems, and I hope you heal quickly. WRT the question you asked in my RR thread, I did wear the Hokas for the run- with the old man legs, they are the only shoes I wear anymore.

I'm sure we saw each other somewhere on the course with our similar splits!

2013-08-25 6:40 PM
in reply to: fenway

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Bummer about the foot, but congrats on the finish in spite of it!

Sounds like you gutted it out through the tough spots for an IM finish!!

Terrific!
Matt 

2013-08-25 10:33 PM
in reply to: fenway

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
thanks !

Hoka's did seem to prevent my foot from getting worse, so feeling pretty good walking around.

I'm just laying off the running for now, getting out the MTB and headed to the trails!
2013-08-29 6:42 PM

User image

Chiming in late to congratulate you on a great effort! From having raced Louisville I can see just how badly the run takes its toll on athletes and it sounds like you did a good job battling through it.
2013-08-30 1:53 AM
in reply to: paperwind

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
thanks !!

I'm really happy I chose the Hoka's to run in, miraculously my foot isn't that bad...not nearly as bad as I envisioned.

Still taking it easy though.
2014-02-02 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Adding details of the race for those interested...

As for other notes....

General : Race is low altitude, and was temperate. Nothing too hot or too cold...just right. Beautiful surroundings and the fans are great. Love the little towns and shops there. Riding on the roads was simply fun, and nice places to run too.

Parking: this is a logistical issue, especially if you are NOT staying in the village. Race day was hard and I got there very early to get a spot. It got to be an absolute zoo really fast. So plan for this. Parking was also a pain for pre-race, like packet pickup, but nothing like race day. The lots are a good distance away from where you have to be.

Swim: One loop swim through crystal clear water. Water was so nice you could drink it. A bit cool for non-wetsuit, but was perfect as a wetsuit swim. Morning air is chilly, and so is the sand. I'd maybe consider throw-away flip-flops or something. But it's not that bad. Swim was waves, but still a bit choked in the first 500m. Count the buoys before hand (If you can) because they didn't tell us the correct number and it messed my head up trying to count. Can be a bit choppy during the race because there are boats zooming around on the lake, not where we swim in the race, but the waves propagate. It was smooth on practice days however.

Transition: was excellent, no issues. Racks well marked, plenty space allocated, and went like clock-work.

Bike: pace yourself, lots of rolling hills to deal with, and it's 2 loops. Going through the towns had lots of fans cheering in french. Loved it. The highway to Labelle is a bit boring, so plan on hunkering down. Can be windy too. Luckily it wasn't too bad, but still sapped your strength. The hills aren't hard, but they are frequent and some long. The last 10k is very hilly and I stood up to climb the steepest sections. I did ride with a 11-28 and std crank in the front on my TT bike. Was fine. The 28 was very welcome. Then back out for the 2nd loop, which went better than the first, but lonelier. Be very careful coming down off the last section, very fast roll and curvy. People did crash, so watch yourself and others speeding along at almost 50mph.

Transition: Not a problem again. Volunteers take your bike, the tents were great and well staffed. I sat there in a daze for a few minutes and people's stuff was everywhere. But everyone friendly and it was pretty much in and out.

Run: Ok, this is not flat as some might toss out. OTOH it's not that hilly. Most of the hills are around the finish, and headed out from transition. It's a 2 loop course. Have a headlamp or light in your special needs if you think you will be in the dark on loop 2. It's also quite chilly, so maybe a layer or too in the SN bag too. You get access to SN on both loops. It's right before the finish area.

The run heads up a hill after transition and then down into the old town, you eventually get on a Railroad bed and chug it out on the flat gravel for most of the loop. The aid stations are fairly well placed but was a bit sparse in a few sections. Can be crowded as the run traffic is 2 way and bikes come through for staff, even vehicles. So watch where you are going, it's hard when you're tired.

Coming past the finish area after loop1 is tough, you hear "blah blah YOU are an IRONMAN" and yet you have another 13.1 miles. The section is hilly and curvy so watch your step. Then back out for round 2 on the loop.

Finish: Then of course the glorious finish...and off to get some food. Food was not that great to tell you the truth. soggy pizza and various other things like "Poutine" which is a local favorite of cheese, gravy and fries. Was tasty but definitely a heart-stopper.

Getting back to the car was a long slow process hobbling in the dark. Parking was difficult and I had probably a mile or two of walking to get my stuff and slog back to the car. Which of course was on a hill...ugh!

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

2014-02-03 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Thanks for posting this. I am doing IMMT this year as my first IM and its good to have this info as a reference. Congrats on a great finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2562 Posts: 5

2012-08-28 6:44 AM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 7965 Posts: 48

2012-08-31 1:55 PM Socks

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rlejeune
Views: 3066 Posts: 7

2012-08-27 7:07 PM juniperjen

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rockymtnhigh
Views: 2563 Posts: 4

2012-08-21 6:42 PM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by axteraa
Views: 5088 Posts: 23

2013-01-02 7:46 PM justinfss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.