General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Half Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Half Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penn Yan, New York
United States
Peasantman Events
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 54m 34s
Overall Rank = 24/86
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Came up the afternoon before and happy to meet Ken and have a nice dinner with he and his Mrs. Its a beautiful area up there. Camped 5 miles from race site and had perfect weather with a cool night and quiet neighbors. Got to the race site extra early just cause I had nowhere else to be in the morning.
Event warmup:

Nope. 1.2 miles of slow swimming seems like a good warmup.
Swim
  • 48m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ehh. I havent been getting the fast swimming in and I was pretty weak out there. On the way out, the breezy chop was working against us, so I was at least hoping I'd get the benefit on the way back. But on the way back I performed pretty poorly. The wind was sort of helping, but moving me right, so I zigzagged all the way back. Plus my form was going to hell halfway through. Could use some more upper body strength.
What would you do differently?:

I am definitely treating myself to a short sleeve wetsuit. With a low neckline. If IMLP is wetsuit legal, it will be worth it just for that day. Plus I really need to work on sighting without stopping. I think that after every race but never do it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Mostly uneventful. I dont freak out in transitions any more, just keep forward motion and it seems to be getting better.

Leave the garmin on the bike until I get a short sleeve suity. I got all discombobulated trying to take the suit off with the watch on. It doesn't do me any good on the swim anyway.
Bike
  • 3h 07m 14s
  • 58.1 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as the bike started i realized i was going to have technology withdrawal. The Garmin wasn't picking up cadence, hence, no power readings. After the race I saw that the magnet that picks up the Quarq fell off some time between last ride and this. That probably lead to my pushing it harder than I should have. The ride was nice and overcast the whole way, just like I like it. I started loosing some steam at about mile 40 and had less luck avoiding horse droppings (Mennonites!!!! :-))

Get stronger. As it turns out, I went too hard for my bike fitness and paid for it on the run. But wouldn't change a thing on race day. This is the pace I want to hold for IMLP so I better get right with the idea of living on the trainer over the off season.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Went smooth. I was wearing socks, so didnt get fancy for the dismount.

Nada
Run
  • 1h 56m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, here's where it went downhill some. I've gotten overconfident with the run and figured I should be able to go under 1:45 even with a moderately hard bike effort. I was looking forward to the run for the last 15 miles of the bike.

But as soon as I started I was in a world of pain from the left shin. I went to walk 10, run 1 almost right away. Then as the shin pain lessened, slowly increased the run ratio (11/12/13 min). By the end of the first half, the shin splint was gone and I realized i was just tired, so the best thing to do would be to keep running, slowly, till the end. With 1.5 miles left, someone came knocking at the door and i tried to hold her off. I gave up on that strategy since the heart was pumping clear outta my chest with about .8 mi to go and got passed by a 25yo young lady who was cruising. Bless her speedy heart. While she took me by a minute, while trying to hold her off, i had to pass 5-6 people that I would not have otherwise.

Keep taking it as it comes
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bite, cleaned up baby-wipe style and headed to my run aid station. Got to be impressed by the few, proud, brave souls toughing it out for the full 144.6. With the multi-loop course, got to meet some great racers and their peoples. It got me inspired to be serious about going long next year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of long bikes this year.

Event comments:

This was there first race and a good day. I've got some small comments to send to the RDs that are easy fixes but overall a great scene and they are trying to differentiate themselves in a fun way.

Last updated: 2012-11-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:15 | 2112 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 10/86
Performance: Below average
Suit: Neosport Full
Course: An out and back rectangle in Lkae Keuka. Water was pretty clear and nice. I like the rectangles. I seem to have a harder time navigating triangles.
Start type: Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:07:14 | 58.1 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 24/86
Performance: Good
No power data. Avg HR was [xxx]
Wind: Some
Course: A nice loop (2 time for the half) on good roads except for a 1/2 mile in town where you had to watch out. Mostly rolling with a couple of steepish but short climbs. I didn't know this was Mennonite country, so the biggest obstacle was the folks heading to Sunday services (I assume) and the horse shit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ??
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:56:29 | 13.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 27/86
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 160bpm
Course: Out and back twice along the lake road. Flat to rolling.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Half Course

2013-08-20 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4833815

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Half Course

That is a pretty impressive run after that bike course Bill!  Great job out there!

It was very nice to meet you in person, Connie and I really enjoyed dinner Saturday!

Thanks for volunteering on the run course. it was nice to see a friendly face on the run especially as the day drew to an end!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Half Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

Started by dexter
Views: 1521 Posts: 4

2013-08-20 7:43 AM isis

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

Started by kenj
Views: 2442 Posts: 7

2013-08-22 10:12 AM acv

Half Full Triathlon - Half “70″ Distance

Started by Mike Hasson
Views: 1203 Posts: 2

2011-10-05 9:02 AM Mike Hasson

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by Tkimble01
Views: 1372 Posts: 1

2010-06-28 3:07 PM Tkimble01

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 1291 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 1:37 PM fcrellin791
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.