Blue Mountain Resort
22+-C / 0F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 30s
Overall Rank = 4/?
Age Group = 3k
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Friday: Well, the day before I went running. Sockless as per usual. By the end of the 6kms I had a blister on my right arch and my right little toe. Crap, not good a day before my first ever running-only race. Popped 'em, drained em, patched em.

Saturday: Woke up a 7:20. I wanted to eat early so I could digest before the race. I had a bowl of honey nut cheerios. I totally forgot about the maple frosted mini-wheats. Dang! We left at about8:30 as registration started at 9:00. Did I mention we rode to the village?
Event warmup:

My main warm-up. riding up-hill to the race site: The Village at Blue Mountain. Then I walked to Red Devil Sports to regester and walked back to the Starbucks. Unfortunatly the was the first morning all week where I didn't have a morning Starbucks, 'cuz of you know, the race and all :). At T-minus 45mins I took a Gu, then I sipped Gatorade (1/3 bottle). Then I jogged around the village for a few minutes. Then I put duct tape over my blisters (more on this later). 15 mins to race start I took another Gu. Water with the gels of course. Light stretching and ready to go.
Run
  • 1h 00m 30s
  • 3 kms
  • 20m 10s  min/km
Comments:

Just as the race was about to start I decided to leave my waterbottle at the race start. I'd take some water each lap. Then then "Go!" I started towards the back, however that wasn't much. Only 20 people at the most. As we started to climb I started to pass people. I wanted to slow down "Run your own race Jordan, you've never done these kind of hills. SLOW DOWN!" but I couldn't. I was getting sucked into the people in front. After a while it was this one guy in my category (3km) who took off. Followed by this one lady doing the 1k, then a fellow who I followed for most of the race (Mike) 10sec behind her and I was 10sec behind Mike. It remained this way untill the top. Then the blue top female peeled off to the finish area. We got some chilled water at the top (YES!). I got on the gondola with Mike. 7 minutes is a long time, I'm telling ya so I was sipping water all the way down. Anyway it turns out he is doing the Parry Sound Half-iron next weekend. I was like DAMN! Hope he stops hurting in time. Anyway I left him go first as he got on the gondola before me. Then I ran to the start line, dropped this bottle by the other and got back into my pace. about one third up a spaced myself out abit from Mike as I did want to finish. After all I was being told most of the week to do the 1km so that I would finish respectibly. No I wanted to kill myself, as usual :). Now my blisters from yesterday were blooming. I could feel a new one on the arch of my left foot. Then slowly I could hear someone catching slowly. I looked down, it was somebody I had left behind the last lap. By the time I got to the fireroad I could barley see Mike and the guy caught me. I head from behind "You in for the 2 or 3 k?" "3! you?" "3 but I'm done. I'm cramping up, I'm finished" This was very sad for my to hear, yet a boost for me. He looked like he races a lot and the fact that I was outlasting him made me want to smile yet it hurt to hear someone say they know they are not going to finish. So I ran with him up to the finish area. He went straight to the finish tent, I grabbed anoter water bottle off the picnic table and sprinted for the gondola. But as I got there the doors closed. That was the one right behind Mike. So I had to wait for the bike car to go by and get on the next passenger one. So there where 2 cars between us, and I could see him running at the bottom. So again I dropped the bottle with my other two and went. I tried hard to catch Mike but couldn't do it. There was a lot more walking this leg. Before it was just the insanly steep sections, but I walked at least 50% of this leg. By the time I got to the fireroad I wanted to keel over, not because I bonked (oddly enough). I hurt, bad. I knew my blisters were bleeding now, but there was only 100m to go! Am them I got to the finish tent! One hour and thirty seconds! :) And as for as I knew it was good for third place (out of 4 or 5 I believe).
What would you do differently?:

I'm too social for my own good. I should have talk for a second then gun it to make the gondola I missed by a hair. Also, not come into the race with blisters :P
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around up top for a bit, found out my time. Chatted with Mike and the volunteers for a bit and then took the gondola down. Walked to get the rest of my Gatorade and stretched. Walked a bit more. Then sat down stripped my feet of shoes and socks. Crap my tape DID come off. Finished my Gatorade, and started my 3 bottles of unfinished water as I waited for the awards. Talked with my family and friends who were visiting the village. Then the awards. Blue shirt chick won the one Km. DNF dude ended up winning the 2k. Mike came second, so I thought "Well there was no one between Mike and I so I'M ON THE PODIUM!" Nope. "And third place Ron Somethingorother!" WHAT?! This caused a stir. I asked Mike "Did you pass anyone?" "Not that I recall..." Hmmm... I didn't get passed by anyone. Results show the phantom racer 24 sec ahead of me. But no one saw him. He wasn't even at the awards. Crap! But I ended up getting his swag. A Salomon running hat and a Salomon Hydration belt, so its all good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Blisters. And socializing (not that it's a bad thing). And Hills err... mountains. Yeah, 720 vertical feet each lap (720 times 3 plus one carry the two) 2160ft total!

Event comments:

Very fun for my first running race. Good Swag! I will definatly do it again if I get the chance. I'm coming back in October!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:30 | 03 kms | 20m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/?
Performance: Good
Course: Switchbacks up the mountain to a fireroad. Then 7minute gondola ride down. Race start at bottom finish at top. 720ft of vertical each lap. Three laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-23 8:03 PM

Master
Subject: Salomon Step Up 3k

2006-07-24 12:48 PM
in reply to: #490582

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: Salomon Step Up 3k

3K = > 2miles?

what's a 3k?

2006-07-24 2:01 PM

Master

3km x .62 = 1.86 miles.

It was 3 1km (0.62m) loops.

2006-07-24 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

BASH BASH BASH BASH!  Deuce of Clubs here 'What were you THINKING!'  LOL!

What was the grade?  Other than the blisters, the race sounds like FUN!   Aw, just thinking about hills I've done is making me smile!!!  That phantom racers sounds iffy ... did anyone check the gondola loading station?  Maybe he keeled over after that third hill!  Enjoy your two weeks with OLN!

Deuce of Clubs ... out!

2006-07-24 6:06 PM
in reply to: #491408

Expert
New Orleans, LA
jknapman - 2006-07-24 2:01 PM

3km x .62 = 1.86 miles.

It was 3 1km (0.62m) loops.

so does your time include the 21 minutes of gondola rides? was this completely vertical?

2006-07-26 12:42 PM

Master

I couldn't tell you the grade other than STEEP.

Yeah our time included the gondola ride, it was a small event so everything was done by stopwatch.  Fun nonetheless.

2006-07-26 9:06 PM

Champion

Hahaha...maybe that guy was related to Rosie Ruiz who tried to sneak in as the woman's winner in the Boston Marathon one year, by taking a bus to the finish line!  At least you got his free stuff so it's cool.  Sounded like a fun race!

2006-07-27 5:30 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Jordan.  Nice Job   Sounds brutal tho
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salomon Step Up 3k Rss Feed