Capital District Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 48s
Overall Rank = 7/232
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up in my own bed (a huge perk of local races!), ate a pancake breakfast, packed up and got the dogs in the van then made the short drive over to the race site. Unfortunately this year dogs were not allowed at the race, which would've been totally fine if they had said something about that ahead of time (I've never been to a race before where there weren't at least a few dogs among the spectators). That kind of messed up my plans to warm up.
Event warmup:

I didn't have time to run or bike but I wanted to get in the water at least for a little swim warm up. While getting my wetsuit on it tore near the zipper! I debated whether it would be worth wearing, but after getting some advice decided the hole was not big enough to warrant ditching it all together. Then while the first wave went off, it tore all the way down. Bye bye wetsuit! I ripped it off and ran to the water to get in my wave. Not exactly an ideal start, but luckily this didn't happen 3 weeks ago at Ironman Lake Placid!
Swim
  • 15m 6s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did not PR the swim like I was hoping, but considering I had to ditch my wetsuit I'm okay with that. I thought I swam pretty hard overall, had a good draft on the first leg but had to go around him after he suddenly slowed down after the first buoy. After that I was mostly alone.
What would you do differently?:

Get a new wetsuit!
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

This went pretty quick with no wetsuit to take off. I had a little trouble buckling my helmet but otherwise no complaints.

Buckle the helmet faster
Bike
  • 52m 28s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Very happy with this ride. I've always found it difficult to put in a fast leg on this course due to the constant up and down nature of it, but I kept the intensity up the whole time (Power Avg: 191, Normalized: 198). For more than half the ride I was going back and forth with the one guy, and we had some good natured competitive exchanges a few times as we made our way back. He got ahead of me on the last big climb but I kept him within sight as we headed into transition.

Not much, very good ride
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Excellent T2. Him: "You're too fast! What about socks??" Me: "Who needs 'em?" Him: "I do!" I'm very confident in my ability to outrun people, but I was very happy to overtake this guy in transition. Now I just had to hold him off...

Nothing
Run
  • 18m 38s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

First of all, I definitely ran fast, but not THAT fast; my Garmin measured this course at 2.85mi.

Coming off the bike my legs were tired from riding hard, but I could feel I left enough to still put down a good pace. And with that guy right behind me, I didn't want to give him any hope of catching me. I put the hammer down right away, trying to keep my pace/mi around 6:30. Shortly after the first mile marker, the course turns back on itself and I could see I was not putting any distance between us. He shouted "I'm coming for you!" and I replied with a good natured "Bring it!" and it was on. I didn't think I could up the pace but I tried anyway. By the time I got to the end of Crystal Lake Road, I could tell by the timing of the crowds cheering that he had not gained on me, and I just needed to keep it going to the finish for a (relatively) comfortable gap. I finished on the grass and congratulated him on a great battle, having bested him by only 13 seconds. (Fun side note, my T2 was 17 seconds faster than his).

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a bit and eventually got a post race massage. Chatted with Liam (who beat me by quite a bit and won our age group) about the race and the upcoming rematch at Lake George.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My wetsuit tearing right before the start. Considering I had to get it off about 2 minutes before starting, I think I handled it pretty well. Overall I had a great race, this was my best performance here by a wide margin, and remains one of my favorite events.

Event comments:

Love this local race!

Last updated: 2013-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:06 | 880 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 30/232
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Counterclockwise upside down triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:28 | 18 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 11/232
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Rolling out and back. Rating: 60.48
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:38 | 03 miles | 06m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 9/232
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around Crystal Lake. A few small hills but mostly a fast course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-20 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: Crystal Lake Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal Lake Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Crystal Lake Triathlon

Started by murrayk
Views: 1275 Posts: 1

2009-09-01 2:09 PM murrayk

Crystal Lake Triathlon

Started by meektris
Views: 1175 Posts: 1

2009-08-30 1:57 PM meektris

Crystal Lake Triathlon

Started by greyhoundgirl
Views: 1592 Posts: 1

2009-08-29 11:30 PM greyhoundgirl

Crystal Lake Triathlon

Started by rnihill
Views: 1606 Posts: 1

2008-08-25 9:45 PM rnihill

Crystal Lake Triathlon

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 1923 Posts: 2

2008-08-24 5:55 PM LazyMarathoner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.