General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How does winter training differ from summer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-22 12:18 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Subject: RE: How does winter training differ from summer?
Oh almost forgot -

You have to really consider how often you get sick in the winter.

One of the biggest limiters for me training/racing in the winter is the inevitable 1-2 colds I get that knock me down from 1-3 weeks completely. Totally wrecks training/racing and it's the main reason I have no longer decided to plan any "A" races in the late fall through early spring, despite favorable temps for PRs.

2013-08-22 1:08 PM

, Alabama
Thanks for all the replies. i have winter gear for running and cycling as I started training in February / March this year when it is pretty cold here. My first 5K in March was in the snow :-). i actually have a couple of 10k races coming up at the end of September and early October so may look for a few more to keep me motivated. I will take the advice given and work on my running which is my weakness but try not to lose in the other areas. So roughly the same schedule but extra run a week and I wont sweat it too much if I miss a work out due to family, illness of whatever. Cheers.
2013-08-22 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
For me My training Volume tends to actually increase, I spend More time on the Bike over the winter, with spin class and sufferfest workouts then I do during the nice weather when outside chores also become a bit of a hinderance to training, I do more Core work and I hit the pool a bit more my run volume stays about the same, Its a rare day when ICE or Extreme Cold force a stint on the TM, for the most part I train right thru from Oct to Late DEC then take a slow down over the holidays and then ramp back up early Jan thru to March then I take another slow rest period before tri season gets underway.
2013-08-22 1:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
In Wisconsin, it is rest, recovery, Swim technique improvement, and try not to gain 10 pounds over the winter.

Maybe a snow shoe race (they are really fun), but no big events planned.

Edited by Swimbikeron 2013-08-22 1:36 PM
2013-08-22 7:00 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What is this thing called winter?!

Seriously, I usually take a break in the fall and early winter from full-on tri training, although I don't technically have to do that; there just aren't many races in the region at that time. I usually focus on running, mainly because I like it, it's convenient during fall term, which is usually the busiest, and my favorite half-marathon is in early December. I just do maintenance for bike and swim. Then after that race, I dial back the running and really focus on swim and bike until the spring tri season starts (early spring here, March or even late Feb.). Probably not relevant to you, but if you do live where you can train all three sports year round (or have the setup to do so indoors), it's still important to mix things up with focus periods on different sports, take breaks when you need them, and not always be hammering all three sports--a good recipe for physical and mental burnout.
2013-08-23 6:59 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Winter?

What is this winter of which you speak?  It's still 110 here every day.....

There are a lot of things you can do in that wonderful season that not everyone gets to enjoy...you can work on a weakness, you can work on your base, you can work on strength and skills...

It's probably important to take SOME down time and do SOME unstructured training...you really can't do hard structured training year round without eventually mentally cracking.

Boy...would I love some winter....but I'm stuck in perpetual summer land....every day is Monday.

2013-08-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by jldicarlo

Winter?

What is this winter of which you speak?  It's still 110 here every day.....

Imagine training in the most beautiful place on earth, then imagine you can never go there because you are shoveling 9 inches of snow off your driveway.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How does winter training differ from summer? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

1st year done, winter plans?

Started by DaveL
Views: 748 Posts: 3

2011-09-19 12:05 PM morey000

How does your off-season training differ?

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1142 Posts: 14

2009-10-08 6:11 PM jvanis

how do training plans differ for a 17 year old

Started by smcollins
Views: 1471 Posts: 14

2008-02-26 3:46 PM smcollins

Anyone doing a duathlon this summer?

Started by kylerboys
Views: 601 Posts: 4

2007-05-21 6:52 PM kp41
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?

date : November 28, 2004
author : Glenn
Most of us have hectic personal and work schedules. In fact, to fit in our training it is often a daily achievement!