World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 51m 41s
Overall Rank = 1111/2306
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 174/272
Pre-race routine:

Spent an amazing few days in Mont Tremblant with the family at the luge, climbing wall, eurobungy, pool and lake, generally eating too much. Race morning got up at 3:15 applesauced it up with a powerbar and went back to sleep. Got up again a bit late at 5 and had another powerbar and failed again trying to use the bathroom (TMI). Took the lift down to transition, pumped up the tires, got the fluid on the bike, hung around a bit, and got in queue for a very long time for one last shot at clearing the GI. I got to spend some time with the Iron Friar who had said Mass the day before, as he was running his 18th IM. Good sign there, right? After success getting the GI ready to go, I was running pretty late. Ran the way up to the swim start and got the wetsuit on. I made my way to the wave corral with 3 minutes to spare.
Event warmup:

pretty much just the panicked crap/flip flop run/wetsuit put on scramble as i almost missed the start to my first IM
Swim
  • 1h 19m 5s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a great swim for me. My prior attempts at 1.2 were 46 minutes and 41 minutes and when I had come to train on the course a few weeks back it was more like 1:40. I was hoping for a 1:30 time. I got a groove and just held it the whole way. There really wasn't too too much contact during my swim, mostly on the back stretch. The chop was up at stages, but overall when I came out of the water with a 1:18 or so on my watch I was thrilled.
What would you do differently?:

This is proof positive I'm starting to get this triathlon thing. WIth better form this will improve.
Transition 1
  • 14m 1s
Comments:

okay, i take back everything I said about getting this triathlon thing. I have no idea why the hell this took so long. I ran from the lake, did take one pit stop at a porta potty. the transition tent was packed and I had trouble finding a seat, but got down and put on my bib shorts, top and creamed up like crazy.

Clearly I left at least 8 minutes here. But I really don't know how my time was 14 minutes.
Bike
  • 6h 10m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty solid bike. Goal was to keep power in the 140s. I did a 2:55 first loop and felt really solid, I knew I was keeping a good bike pace, and had some good stretches out on 117 in the 27-28 mph range tucked. Had my first glorious on bike pee, ended up peeing three times on the bike. Second loop was a LOT windier. I knew this was coming having trained on course a few weeks ago. It's a lot easier dealing with the wind without auto traffic next to you. I felt like I was working a lot harder, but could tell my power was down. Second loop was 3:15 ish.. Overall I stuck with my plan of spinning up the hills. Nutrition was on plan, although I misplanned my gels and ended up taking some bananas out on course. about 5900 ft of elevation

Come to find out, biking is my strongest discipline. That said, I've got a lot of room for improvement, and look forward to doing so on the trainer this winter. joy joy, sweating in the basement to sufferfest!
Transition 2
  • 06m 49s
Comments:

Pretty good t2, especially compared to t1. I did take the time to change my top and shorts.

scrap the bottle belt, just go with the race belt and deal with fluid on course
Run
  • 5h 01m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This. Run. Sucked. I was told what I was getting into going into it, but wow. I'd run a couple of stand alone 26.2's but didn't really appreciate the difference here. The plan was to go out at 10:30s and then bring it down. First mile was 9:49, then I spent most of the first loop in the high 10's. I stopped in run special needs to get some more salt, a sock change (which I had forgotten in T2), and my notes from the wife and kids. Actually I left special needs and had to go back for the notes. A solid hamstring cramp popped up at mile 15, worked it out and took some more salt. Struggled in the low 12's mile 14-20. The chicken broth showed up at the exact right time when I needed salt. Evidently in Canada they can't serve capsules of any kind without being sealed, so if you're reading this for future reference BRING EXTRA SALT TABS!! With the 10k left I looked at my all up time for the first time and my very slowly working brain figured out I could break 13 hours if I stopped dicking around through the aid stations. I started taking just water and perform and focused my mantra (which my wife and I spent a long time determining) in my best Star Wars Gold Five voice "Stay on Target!!" I found my other gear and got back to sub 11's. I saw the fam on the last k, ran up the hill knowing I had it, smiled my ass off, high fived the world, ran down the chute, and finished my Ironman. Reilly wasn't around when I finished, and the announcer missed me entirely until I was done, but that's not what it was about.

Now that I've done it, I know I left a ton of time out there on the run. Didn't need the long special needs stop, and I've got a lot of room to improve the run. That said, I never walked except for nutrition and my cramp. That was a goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw the family, took some pictures. Sat down for a few minutes, then realized I wasn't doing so hot. I told my wife I was okay, but to take the kids back to the hotel while I went to medical. Sat there for an hour or so with an IV for some nausea and OJ.

Event comments:

Wow. First IMMT is just an amazing amazing experience. While it is my only 140.6 to date, it was an extraordinary venue and event. When I picked my first full last year I had read the early rave reports and decided on this over IMLP. I can't exaggerate how much local support the community puts behind this race. The town is all in, as evidenced by 3 WTC events here in 2014. If you've got a family, it's not even a question. People have said it's a hard course, but if you train anywhere near hills like we do in the northeast it's REALLY not that bad (i ran a 34/28).
From my perspective, I met my goal of sub 13. I can identify an easy 15-20 minutes I left out there at my current fitness level, but at this point, really, that's not important. I think if I really went after it I could have pulled a 12:20 or so. Before Sunday I was pretty adamant that I wouldn't be doing another one of these until the kids were in college. Now I'm not so sure. I'll focus on sprints and 70.3's in 2014, but will probably be back to the full distance before I expected.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:05 | 4224 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 189/272
Overall: 1230/2306
Performance: Good
Suit: full Zoot
Course: One lap long way out and back with a short back stretch
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 14:01
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:10:12 | 112 miles | 18.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/272
Overall: 0/2306
Performance: Good
150 avg heart rate 133 avg power 159 normalized power
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 loop hilly course much windier on second loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 68
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:01:37 | 26.2 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/272
Overall: 0/2306
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop course, probably 1500 ft of elevation
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %+2 lb
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-21 10:39 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

2013-08-22 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4835957

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant
great job toughing it out.

We had a pretty similar day....had a lot of fun but it was a brutal run for me as well.
2013-08-23 5:42 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Camden, NC
Absolutely awesome, you should be proud! Congrats!
2013-08-23 4:42 PM
in reply to: HercDriver

User image

Expert
I don't know you but thanks for the race report. I've been trying to decide which race I should do next year and based upon your race report I am leaning towards IMMT.

Congrats!
2013-08-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Do it. Totally worth it, especially if you are already Boston based. Almost any NH hill training is harder. Relatively easy drive to the venue and just a really cool place. Tons to do. Danger spot thigh, the wife may do some shopping, and you'll be too guilt-written from training all year to object.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2565 Posts: 5

2012-08-28 6:44 AM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 7979 Posts: 48

2012-08-31 1:55 PM Socks

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rlejeune
Views: 3069 Posts: 7

2012-08-27 7:07 PM juniperjen

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rockymtnhigh
Views: 2570 Posts: 4

2012-08-21 6:42 PM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by axteraa
Views: 5096 Posts: 23

2013-01-02 7:46 PM justinfss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.