General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-22 12:08 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss.

Redman (70.3 and 140.6) in Oklahoma City, OK posted this on Facebook page today:

Redman Triathlon is committed to our community and our environment, as such we strive to do everything possible to ensure that we provide a quality experience for our participants while taking care of our venue. One way that we can help ensure that we leave no trace of our passing behind, is to utilize a flask's instead of disposable goo or gel packets. Individual packets must be picked up where left behind and usually leave behind a sticky mess. Redman Triathlon will be providing various flavor Hammer Gel in dispenser bottles for dispensing into gel flasks within transition and at all Bike Aide Stations. Please help us in our goal of being green and maintaining our environment by utilizing gel flasks and not individual disposable packets. There will be a free flask in your swag bag when you pickup your packet.

What do you think?
Will other races hop on this train, or is this a flawed idea like the marathon re-usable cup thing a few years ago (that I believe didn't really catch on)? 

2013-08-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Subject: RE: Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss.
There is little I hate more then seeing Gu packets on the side of the road...Race or not...So I think it is a great idea, especially since they are giving a flask in the swag bag. That said, I would think refilling flasks at aid stations would be a royal pain and many people would just bring their own packets instead.
2013-08-22 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss.
Flawed idea. I appreciate the attempt to "go green", but it won't work so well.

I'd be carrying enough gels to sustain myself. No way am I stopping for long enough to pump gel into a little flask...
2013-08-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I occasionally use a gel flask when training, although don't enjoy it.   The reason I use one, and I suspect might be their real reason, is that it's a LOT cheaper.

It gets sticky, it's hard to get out the right portion, and no matter if you empty it you still have this bulky thing to carry.  It's NOT easy to fill, so even if I were going to use a gel flask I would bring enough so that I didn't have to stop.

I much prefer using a packet for a race.  I'd rather see them enforce a no littering rule.  I think people will just bring their own packets and toss them just the same.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-08-22 12:17 PM
2013-08-22 12:20 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

NC
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

The reason I use one, and I suspect might be their real reason, is that it's a LOT cheaper.

Ding, ding, ding.

2013-08-22 12:21 PM

User image

Is using a flask to replace 5 gel packets greener than just using the 5 disposable packets?

If you continue using the flask for a long time maybe, otherwise not.

It's like the huge pile of reusable shopping bags many people have, or the reusable cups and mugs filling up their cupboards. If you faithfully use them then in the Long run they can be slightly more green, but in the short term (and the way most people use them) they are actually much worse for the environment.

Sounds like that race is doing what people that always buy a new "re-usable" shopping bag do, trying to act green while doing the exact opposite.

2013-08-22 1:23 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Nice idea but everyone is going to bring their own gel packs. I would not mind refilling on the run course since I am turtle slow but I am not pulling over and refilling on the bike.  Not happeneing
2013-08-22 1:37 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I don't think it's a very good idea.  I love the flask during training but during a race, I don't want to mess around with stopping for very long.
2013-08-22 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
not a chance I am stopping to refill a flask in a race.

if I carry a flask it is because that is all I think I will need
2013-08-22 2:02 PM

User image

I prefer flasks over packets for long course racing.  I would not be opposed to a rule saying that only flasks are allowed and gel packets are banned.  I know it wouldn't fly with most people, but it wouldn't bother me.

I'm not sure I would refill my flask at an aid station though...but just put another flask in special needs.  For a HIM, one flask should be more than enough on the bike and one on the run.  I don't even want to imagine how many sweaty hands may have touched the pump head of the refill bottle.  Especially when you consider what an athlete may touch over the course of an IM.  Snot, pee, drool, or chamios cream that was rubbed on their taint, etc.

2013-08-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I had a flask once. Thought it was a great way to have several gels without fumbling with opening the gel packaging. I lost it on the first race I carried it.

2013-08-22 2:50 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Austin

Originally posted by Chillin Is using a flask to replace 5 gel packets greener than just using the 5 disposable packets? If you continue using the flask for a long time maybe, otherwise not. It's like the huge pile of reusable shopping bags many people have, or the reusable cups and mugs filling up their cupboards. If you faithfully use them then in the Long run they can be slightly more green, but in the short term (and the way most people use them) they are actually much worse for the environment. Sounds like that race is doing what people that always buy a new "re-usable" shopping bag do, trying to act green while doing the exact opposite.

So the county I live in banned regular 1 time use plastic bags, and just about everyone uses those nice re-useable bags. It took a few months to remember to grab them but I quite like it now. Just don't forget to wash them out once in a while.

As for the gel flasks... Um gross, I don't want to know who had the bottle before me to fill my flask. I know I get nasty all over myself on the long runs, when snot rockets misfire.

2013-08-22 3:04 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Nice in theory (though I don't buy the "going green" thing - it's all about the almighty dollars they'll save this way), but I just don't think it's going to fly.

No WAY am I going to want to stop and re-fill a flask at some point along the way.  I can see most people just bringing their own gels and so the litter is still going to end up on the ground where it always does during races. 

2013-08-22 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I like the idea. As someone who lives in an area where local tri's are held there's nothing I hate more than going for a run the day after a race and picking up after everybody on the bike course who thought it was okay to just toss their trash on the ground. That said I don't use a gel flask. I'd be happy if everyone just used common sense and picked up their own trash.
2013-08-22 3:47 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
It's a RACE and I wouldn't want to stop during the bike leg. Aside from lowering their cost I can understand having less to clean up after the race. I haven't used the flask yet but I've been wondering about that. Maybe when my current stock of Gels gets low I'll investigate.

On the other hand in a 112 mile bike ride if I had to stop once for 60 seconds would that really make a big difference in my overall performance? "Oh, I was averaging 20.00 mph but because I had to stop to refuel I only averaged 19.94 mph, dangit!"
2013-08-22 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
MA

There was a running race either Mary or 1/2 Mary a few years back that didn't give out cups to racers. They gave racers these pouches that they had special drink holders athletes could fill on the go. It was a complete cluster f*** and I think in the end the race company caved.

Reality there is a lot of waste generated at races and dropped on the ground. It all does not get picked up. When healthy I would ride a certain area where there was a race in June and another in July. I would see race waste weeks and months after the races.....race numbers from bikes and bibs plus gel and sport nutrition packaging.

One suggestion I have is have volunteers or a group go over the course very slowly by foot or bike and pick up all the garbage but that isn't very practical.

2013-08-22 6:20 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Lisa when I checked into Redman's facebook page I read what you posted and wondered how it would fly. I bought a couple of gel flasks last year and absolutely hate them. I will be taping my gel packs to my bike during Redman like I always do. I never throw my empty packets on the ground anyway I always shove them in my jersey pocket. I kind of thought that's what most people do.
2013-08-22 6:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have used gel flasks in all 6 of my long course tri's and have only used the single serve packets at a few running races.  I hate the packets, especially when they are some random, gross flavor.  With the flasks, I get the flavor I want and can rely on having what I need on the bike and run.  For an HIM, I carried two in my back pockets and exchanged for two more in T2.  Rounded out my calories with sport drink.  Pretty simple.  IM did the same and had extras in the special needs bag.  Did get sick of gel on the run and started grazing.  I always mixed four parts gel and 1 part water which makes them much easier to drink.

So, this change would work good for me as long as they had flavors I liked and I could fill all my own flasks.  I want them all filled before the race though.  No way am I going to take the time to squeeze them into a flask during the race and then add water??.  With shakey hands you are going to have a sticky mess.  As if aid stations don't get clogged up enough already at big races. 

Edited by popsracer 2013-08-22 6:23 PM
2013-08-22 7:22 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Offering the flask refill as an option rather than a requirement may shed light for the race director on the interest / logistics during the race. Anything that slows the flow or traffic into and through aid stations is asking for trouble if you ask me.
2013-08-22 9:51 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

It's like every hotel in the modern world asking that we "go green' by reusing the towels. Of course the real reason is to save $ on laundry.
2013-08-22 9:54 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Veteran
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Flawed idea. I appreciate the attempt to "go green", but it won't work so well.

I'd be carrying enough gels to sustain myself. No way am I stopping for long enough to pump gel into a little flask...

agreed

2013-08-22 9:56 PM
in reply to: Portlander

Veteran
Originally posted by Portlander

It's like every hotel in the modern world asking that we "go green' by reusing the towels. Of course the real reason is to save $ on laundry.

and those same hotels all have throw away plates, bowls, cups, and silverware at the breakfast. environment, enschmironment
2013-08-22 10:18 PM
in reply to: Portlander

User image

NC

Why do you hate the ice packs?

2013-08-22 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Bleh.

My first thought was that in a few years of races and training I've only seen a handful of people rocking flasks. Most of those were at the pool too.

Great that they're giving flasks out, but apparently they haven't heard the mantra..."NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY".

NOT going to work. People will just bring their own. I always do anyway. I only like 2 or 3 flavors and races tend to have cases and cases of a single flavor. Great. I always go for Strawberry/banana or Lime GUs and all they give out are Expresso. Yuck.

I predict there will be a LOT of flasks littering the route too as people get frustrated with them and intentionally toss them. (Some of those gel packets aren't dropped on purpose, but get dropped, fall out of shorts, bento boxes etc.)

2013-08-22 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Goosedog

Why do you hate the ice packs?

I love them!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Gel flask question

Started by slaterson19
Views: 1813 Posts: 13

2011-04-15 11:54 AM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Hammer Gel refill

Started by zeroviz
Views: 693 Posts: 3

2010-03-16 7:34 AM lodewey

Spin off of the Gel Flask post...

Started by KenD
Views: 2036 Posts: 9

2008-08-20 4:55 PM Gerrard

Gel Flasks

Started by Artemis
Views: 2816 Posts: 15

2008-08-19 10:47 AM Artemis

To Gel or not to Gel

Started by Brennan6
Views: 621 Posts: 5

2004-10-09 5:40 PM domlazz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : November 17, 2008
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.
date : April 24, 2005
I can't get my gel pack out of my back pocket and then get it open to eat! I know this sounds really beginnerish, but what tricks or tools can I use to be able to have my food more accessible?

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.