General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are your fears and frustrations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-23 10:25 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Subject: RE: What are your fears and frustrations?

Originally posted by MSU_Brad...I'm afraid someone will show up wearing the exact same Tri suit as me and pass me right before the finish line. That would suck.

If your profile pic is what you wear then you are probably pretty safe

2013-08-23 10:28 PM
in reply to: yuza

User image

Fear - Becoming a hood ornament.

Frustration - Wanting to see improvement faster. 

2013-08-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4836938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fears: that if I start posting slower splits that's the beginning of my decline as a triathlete.

That I'll get hit by a car.

That I'll cross that line between fatigue and implosion or injury.

That I'll become allergic to coffee.

Frustrations : swimming. I just cannot budge on my pace, despite lessons, labor and 15 years in triathlon.

Traffic and crappy road surfaces where I live and train. There's not much I miss about Tennessee but good roads are one of them.

Gear ain't getting any cheaper.
2013-08-24 3:13 PM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

New user
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Fear #1: Sharks in the Potomac

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23202992/bull-sharks-caught-in-potomac...

Frustration #1: Left knee soreness
2013-08-25 12:09 AM
in reply to: CRS

User image

Champion
Calgary
Just that it is a waste of time and energy. It is a lot of work to be an amateur athlete trying to be your best. And when your best is really just noticeable to you is it really worth putting in 10+ hours a week to squeak out another PR. Also and related, I am frustrated with my ability to train but not my ability to watch my diet. I put in the time and the effort but I get little results because of my utter failing in the nutrition department. So for me to say that I am trying to do my best and shrugging of family and social commitments to get my workouts in only to sabotage myself with fastfood and 6 pack mistakes makes me feel like a hypocrite.
2013-08-25 2:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
I don't fear the race or any discipline, everything is doable. My greatest fear and frustration is getting my expectations right and handling it when I don't. Even when I tried to set targets as "accepted", "goal" and "stretch goal", then I didn't reach the "accepted" target and had to reevaluate the race to see why my goals were that much off and convince myself that I actually did a fair job.

I'm both too optimistic and too competitive minded, being realistic in the first place and then sticking to the plan in the race is just not one of my strengths. Worse yet reassessing during the race when things turns out different.

And then I have a silly preference for round numbers, so of course, a 90K ride should be under 3 hours, 29.6kph average pace is just not good enough. Maybe I'm too much a number/data freak, maybe it would be more fun to leave the Garmin at home and just go out and do it by the feel.

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Frustration= The bike. I love to swim and run, I like bike touring if I can diddle along at my own pace and stop to take pictures, but to be honest, I really don't enjoy training for or competing in the bike aspect of triathlon. Plus I suck at it relative to the swim and run. When I started tri, I assumed that anyone could become a decent biker with training, and I should be good since I have a good engine, but I'm not. I've managed to crack the top 20% and even the top 10% in a few recent races, but nowhere near the front of the pack. I just feel tired from the minute I get on a bike to train, and every workout feels like impending death. Three years of tri training have only made me dislike it more. Maybe if I lived somewhere with more attractive places to ride it would be different.....By contrast, running and swimming have always come naturally and I find them enjoyable. I'm beginning to suspect I just have some natural disability when it comes to riding a bike. My only talent is riding up hills--maybe I just need to find an uphill race!

Except for the uphill, I totally identify with this. I like cruising on a flat at a steady pace enjoying the scenery, but hitting any hill kills me. I like getting out of town and breathe some fresh air, but I haven't come to love the amount of time I have to put into the bike training. I feel so much more reward doing other stuff. Yet I suck at the bike I and know there are no short cuts .. if I want to do triathlon I better get in the saddle.

ETA: On my first rides I actually brought a camera just in case.

Edited by erik.norgaard 2013-08-25 2:28 AM

2013-08-25 2:45 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Har--I didn't say I enjoyed riding up hills (unless there's a really good view at the top), but I'm much better at it than anything else on a bike. It's an ego boost to be able to ride down people who otherwise kick my a$$.

I almost never feel that sense of "flow" that I get with running and swimming, at least on good days. Maybe once or twice, always in Oregon, I actually really enjoyed a training ride. Two hours on a bike here always seems like more than two hours, and it's always two hours of suffering. I'm sure it's not just a matter of body build/power but that I don't have anywhere attractive to train, and rarely anyone to ride with either. Except for the occasional MTB ride or once in a blue moon road ride with someone (all the roadie clubs are too fast for me and/or won't let women or foreigners join, and the casual riders are too slow), an overwhelming % of my bike training is solo, on a trainer or stationary or a 6 km loop of an industrial park, which happens to be on a very windy peninsula so it's very hard to associate effort with speed. It just seems like I'm forever pedaling into the wind at some pathetic pace, being a total poser with my spandex and aerobars. Ugh!
2013-08-25 7:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain I'll let you know after I see the surgeon this afternoon.

Not so scared after all...... surgery on Tuesday...doc says swimming in 2 weeks, biking in 4 weeks, running in 6 weeks.  Piece of cake.

Good news!

2013-08-25 7:34 AM
in reply to: jdmitch_BOPer

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by jdmitch_BOPer

Originally posted by colinphillips

injuries that would stop me from doing this stuff for good. Especially running.

X2

X3 I've had 2 bikes crashes resulting in broken bones.
2013-08-25 10:47 AM
in reply to: 0

Injuries: I've been transforming my body from a bodybuilding/power lifting, inflexible, tight body, into a flexible and endurance body.....I've been plagued with injuries, imbalances etc..a lot from overtraining I do have to admit....I just love training too much, and am very antsy any day I do not train, not because I believe I am losing fitness, but because I'm bored....I have too much time/energy if I don't train. I can't sit still.

Bike frustrates me a little because though I'm a pretty decent biker in terms of speed, I know very little about the mechanics of the bike. I can change a tire, that's the extent of my bike technical knowledge. It kind of gives me anxiety. The amount of info is kind of daunting, and I don't have the mental energy to learn all the bike stuff right now. I'm learning two languages (spanish + french) right now, as well as learning a new trade for work, I need TRI for relaxation not thinking!!!!

Edited by TriTC 2013-08-25 10:49 AM
2013-08-30 11:09 AM
in reply to: TriTC

Thank you everyone for sharing your fears and frustrations. I spent almost 1/3 of my career in rehab and can very closely relate to what you are going through. Some of the hardest parts were holding my self back and waiting till I got the OK from the doctor and physical therapist to start training. Even then it was worrying about if I really was healed and if giving my all would result a new injury. It wasn’t easy either to sacrifice family and friends to dedicate most of my time and energy to my sport.

All of that mental baggage was the bottle neck for me to get back into flow and performing at my best. It was like an anchor holding me back that I was dragging with me. If I had not looked for help from a professional to solve these mental problems I never would've reached my full potential and gotten back the joy and feeling of flow in my sport. Sometimes it's more important to change our perception, the way we think about our challenge. It's not always possible to resolve the problem in the moment but to see it in a new way so it serves as strength instead of something that's holding you back.

One of the things I learned in my career was that although I was in an individual sport, I was still part of a larger team. In a way I see we are all a director of a movie. We have the vision and the team around us our family, friends, trainers, colleagues are the extension of us and the extension of our energy. The better our relations with our team and having a team that supports us has a lot to do with our success.

There’s a saying in Africa:
If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.

I see sport success being divided into these three categories:
1. Technical skill
2. Physical fitness
3. Mental strategies

Different sports require different amounts of technical skill vs. physical fitness and you can only develop those to the level of your mental strategies and that's the bottle neck most people are facing when they get stuck in their sport or have problems moving to the next level. Especially after the first injury. Mental strategies are as much a skill that can be develop as is math, running, bicycling, swimming, playing an instrument etc.

Here's the general list of things I gathered from you which most of you TriAthletes are battling with:

INJURIES
Getting injured, get hit by a car, Bad bike crash, injury that keeps you from training.

TIME & BALANCE
Tough to find hours to train, lack of time and balancing it with the rest of my life, Finding balance between good tri training and great family life.

IMPROVEMENT
Don't see any improvement, wanting to see improvement faster and fear of wasting my time.

Any other you would include in the list?

I am putting together a short free video so you can start solving some of these problems. Those of you who are interested may drop me an email [email protected] and I will submit you the video link once it’s ready.

Also if you have suggestions what you would like to see included, what’s your biggest challenge that’s hindering you from performing at your best, what are your fears and frustrations you face with the most.

Cheers!

2013-08-30 11:46 AM
in reply to: jdmitch_BOPer

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by jdmitch_BOPer

Originally posted by colinphillips

injuries that would stop me from doing this stuff for good. Especially running.

X2

x3

The idea that a bad injury would stop me training all together. And then that I would gain back the weight I have lost.

Short term my fear is drowning in Guelph Lake tomorrow. The only fear greater than that is poor water quality cancelling the swim. I realy want to do it.

No real frustrations. I do get bugged by living somewhere so flat! No hills anywhere to train on :-(
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are your fears and frustrations? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3071 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

HR frustration--am I in danger?

Started by bbarron
Views: 1278 Posts: 15

2005-02-21 6:41 PM Christie

plateaud frustrations!

Started by gr8brindle
Views: 1141 Posts: 13

2005-01-24 1:43 PM jtat17

Frustration

Started by joeinco
Views: 900 Posts: 13

2004-10-27 2:00 PM joeinco

frustrations with time/injuries

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 734 Posts: 6

2004-07-09 9:59 PM joannh13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 0
Like the fear of being foolish, the fear of failure is very common. The first step in overcoming the fear of failure is to define it. Once defined the steps to overcome it are not difficult.

date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.
date : April 10, 2013
author : mnatwood
comments : 2
Don’t give up just because the training is difficult. Don’t let fear win just because you find yourself uncomfortable.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 1
Good memories are crucial to your success in the water. Trying to swim laps before you are comfortable in the water is likely to reinforce your anxiety, so avoid the white-knuckle approach.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.