General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming out to Sedona next month, looking for running trails Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-23 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Coming out to Sedona next month, looking for running trails

My husband and I are coming out to Sedona for vacation in a few weeks.  I've hiked there before, but the places I know are not really good trail running spots because they're so technical and lend themselves more to slower hiking.

Do any of you know of any good running trails?  We're looking for something a little wider, not too crowded with tourists strolling casually with moderate terrain.  Any info is appreciated!

2013-08-23 11:33 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Coming out to Sedona next month, looking for running trails
What kind of distance are you looking for? Almost all of trails have some spots that are steep or technical but there are many that I enjoy running.
2013-08-23 1:40 PM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by MonkeyClaw What kind of distance are you looking for? Almost all of trails have some spots that are steep or technical but there are many that I enjoy running.

We would just be doing maybe 5-6 miles each morning.  I don't mind rolling hills but straight up for a mile or more will be beyond my trail running skills at this point.  My preference would be a trail with more of an "all purpose" feel.  I'm just thinking about some of the trails I've hiked out there, going over logs, the path getting super narrow, lots of rocks/roots, crossing streams, etc.  and I would prefer to save those for our non-running casual hikes.

2013-08-23 1:53 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
Casual hike - I like west fork 187I haven't run these (yet), but no of this site that has a bunchhttp://sedonarunning.com/running_in_sedona.html
2013-08-24 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I recommend Turkey Tank, it's wider, and relatively flat (emphasis on relatively) for the trails out here. It's five miles, but it's an out and back so you can adjust the length as you like. In addition, there are a number of loops that you can make happen off of it, but they will require adding some rockier, or steeper trails to the mix (you can also make it longer than five miles if you keep going past the tank itself).

My go-to short run (3 miles if you start at the road) is the Baldwin loop, which has a number of hills but none of them are very big (by Sedona standards anyway). However, it does have it's fair share of tourists if you hit it on a weekend or a holiday.

There's a loop around Courthouse Butte that is pretty mellow, but I can't remember the milage. I've only done it twice and I did it differently the second time and I can't remember how long it took me. (This lack of data is soon to be at an end as I recently received a GPS watch for my birthday, so I will no longer have spend agonizing hours on map my run to try to figure out my stats for trail runs, yay!)

My all time favorite run is on a trail called Transept, but it contains one very large steep climb that it sounds like you would not be interested in (and four miles later, another steep descent). However, if you can make it through that climb, the rest of the trail is amazing; a gorgeous ridgeline with stunning views and beautiful (albeit occasionally narrow) trail. It's between 7 and 9 miles depending on how you do it.

If you would like more info on any of those, let me know. There are hundreds of other trails around town, I live 4 miles outside of the Village of Oak Creek, so there are lots of trails that I haven't tried because they're not in my immediate vicinity and there are so many good ones right next to me.

The people over at Sedona Running Company know all of the trails in the area and can also give you great advice. They're super friendly and extremely knowledgeable. They have maps and all kinds of other running gear too. 928-282-6956 (And no, I don't have any sort of business arrangement with them, but they treat their customers -and people who just stop in to say hi- really well and so I try to support them whenever possible.)

Hope that's helpful. :-)

~Gwen
2013-08-24 4:52 PM
in reply to: gwenwhyvar32

User image

Regular
Winnipeg, Manitoba
http://www.sedonarunning.com/running_in_sedona.html

This is from the Sedona Running website. Thought you might find it useful.

2013-08-25 5:49 AM
in reply to: gwenwhyvar32

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Thanks everyone!  I will definitely check out some the trails you've suggested and perhaps stop at the local running store mentioned for maps and directions.  Much appreciated Smile
2013-08-26 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I'll back up Turkey Creek and Baldwin. My wife hikes Turkey all the time. There are lots of loops you can do but it's easy to get lost if you don't know the area. You can also run along the creek on Templeton or combine Templeton and Baldwin. Bell Rock Trail is probably the easiest and joins up with several others (like Courthouse) but it can get packed with tourists so go early. Transept is great but can be hard to find because the trailhead is not well marked. MTB's were recently banned from it so you're less likely to see them there and it's not well known so not busy at all.

One of my favorite loops is Verde Valley School rd -> Transept -> Baldwin -> Templeton -> HT -> Bell Rock Trail -> 179 -> Verde Valle School rd. It's about a 14 mile loop but is great training.

I live in the village so the trails I run are down there. There are also a lot in West Sedona, but they tend to be busier and hillier.

The Sedona Running guys are great (Adam and Lindsay). Very helpful and easy to talk to.

Have fun!
2013-08-26 11:46 AM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
This has nothing to do with the OP, BUT Sedona / Prescott area is so wonderful... I'd love to live there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming out to Sedona next month, looking for running trails Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

best place to run/ride in Sedona

Started by runspingirl
Views: 1290 Posts: 5

2012-08-01 3:14 PM runspingirl

Need run routes in Sedona & Scottsdale

Started by runnerx
Views: 1134 Posts: 5

2010-10-20 3:37 PM runnerx

Biking Sedona Saturday

Started by Rotorkim
Views: 776 Posts: 3

2010-02-02 12:48 PM sportyj

FREEWAY Fun Run 5K next Wed?

Started by sportyj
Views: 856 Posts: 5

2008-07-09 9:55 AM Oxofthedessert

Sedona Lap Pool?

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1028 Posts: 2

2008-03-31 4:12 PM perkins_jerryw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout