General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Beach NY Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-23 10:09 AM

Subject: Long Beach NY Swimming
Hey guys, does anyone on here know:

Is there any (safe) place to swim on the bay side of Long Beach (incl. Lido, Pt, Lookout, Atlantic)? If not where is the closest place you can swim in the Bay? Tobay beach?

Will the lifeguards in Long Beach (ocean side) let you swim parallel to shore across jetty's during daytime summer hours, or do you have to stay in flags making it impossible to really get a long swim in? Are there other beaches (Nickerson, Point Lookout) that are more swimmer friendly?

Thanks!!!

2013-08-23 7:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Long Beach NY Swimming
Runners edge Tri team swims Monday nights at tobay beach off ocean parkway on the bayside. You can call the store for info. As far as long beach goes if you have a lifeguard torp (the orange buoy they carry) the lifeguards will let you swim outside the jettys in lb. people do it all the time

Edited by rtocco 2013-08-23 7:33 PM
2013-08-26 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4837147

User image

Expert
Carmel
Subject: RE: Long Beach NY Swimming
Dont know about the bay side. Haven't done an OWS in LB in a long time bc it's a bit of a pain in the ass, for me anyway bc I usually hang at Lincoln for surfing. You have to check in at the main lifeguard shack and sign out a a flotation strap thing that will drag behind you while you swim. Then when you are done you have to give it back to them. Better off waiting til after 6, beach becomes a free for all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Beach NY Swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OWS at Long Beach, NY?

Started by nycgal1010
Views: 798 Posts: 1

2011-06-30 10:48 PM nycgal1010

Long Beach, NY

Started by BrandonCohen
Views: 3081 Posts: 24

2010-07-02 10:02 AM mrunner6

NY / NJ Based team looking for Reach The Beach Relay members

Started by mory
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2008-09-03 8:51 PM mory

NY Metro Long Ride

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1233 Posts: 13

2006-07-16 3:01 PM jellyfish

Looking for a Fall/Winter Tri in NY/Long Island area

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1062 Posts: 3

2005-10-24 8:42 AM hoff1732
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : October 20, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 9
Twenty of the total 25 deaths associated with triathlons as recorded by USA Triathlon occurred during the swim portion of the events. So, what’s the deal with swimming?
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.