Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Career fork in the road question for COJ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-23 12:55 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: Career fork in the road question for COJ
I posted this on the 'other site' too but I'd like to see what the COJ has to say. So here goes:

OK, I'm at a fork in the road in my career (civil engineering field) and want to know "WWCOJD?

Here is the scenario that has unfolded over the past 2 months:

1. I've been working on the same contract for one client for the past 6 years (consulting services), which is the length of time I've been with this firm.
2. The contract I have been working on ended 2 months ago. The project was complete, and there was no more funding available from the client for our services.
3. I was told from my supervisor that the company would keep me on overhead for about a month or so while they were waiting the award of other contracts that I could work on. But that I should also start looking for other employment in case those contracts don't get awarded to the firm.
4. During that month's time, I apply for several other positions at various engineering firms. I get an offer from one at about the same rate I currently make. No other contracts were awarded to my company, and there were no other existing contracts that needed additional help. The leadership of my business unit kept on telling me that I was the type of person they needed to keep in the company, and they would hate to let me go, but there was nothing they could do if I wasn't billable.
5. The day I was planning on accepting the offer with the new firm, I got a call from someone in my current firm at a very high level of leadership, saying they have a project for me to work on. It was just awarded that day in fact, but it was with a different business unit within my company and different type of client. I was suprised that someone so high in the company even knew who I was, let alone was looking for a project for me to work on and remain with the company. The new project sounded exciting and challenging too, because it was a different type of work and different client than I have been used to in my career so far. I saw it as an opportunity to broaden my horizons a bit and add some breadth and depth of experience to my resume.
6. I told the firm I was going to accept an offer with that I was going to stay with my existing firm. They seemed disappointed, but understanding.
7. I started working on the new project with my existing firm ~2 weeks ago. The learning curve is steep, but I think I'm managing to keep my nose over the water line. But the new business unit dynamics are a bit different, and I heard some rumblings (maybe just rumors) that the leadership of this business unit wasn't too happy with my selection to lead this new project, and that I was kind of thrust upon them by senior leadership in the company. So my new supervisor may not care for me too much, but his boss does. There also seems to be a lot of engineers in this business unit who are not very billable and are looking for projects to work on, and aren't too happy that a new guy just came in and took a lead role on a high-vis project. I've heard some of them are being laid off.

8. Here's the twist. I get a call from the hiring manager at the firm I said no thanks to. They still really wanted me, and offered me 20% more than the previous offer (which was the amount I currently make).

So WWCOJD? Do you:

a. Take the money and run. 20% is a pretty good chunk of money that my family could use. The only thing is this position kind of pigeon holes me into the same type of work I've always done with the same type of client.
b. Stick with the current firm and the new project. Senior leadership looked out for me and kept me with the firm, and I think it may look poorly on me to leave at this point. That said, the project could likely be done in ~6 months and I'm in this same position again all over looking for a project to work on and stay billable, and my current supervisor may not care for me for political reasons (although I don't know that for sure).
c. Not enough info to make a logical choice. Tell me more!

Sorry if this is rambling. Hopefully there will be some entertaining responses.
Thanks!

2013-08-23 1:07 PM
in reply to: djastroman

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Career fork in the road question for COJ

Which position will get you closer to your ultimate goal in your career life?

There's your answer.

Money isn't necessarily always worth it.

2013-08-23 1:16 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Thoughts:

#1: Employees need to be able to deal with whomever is elected into higher management. If they can't, it's their problem.

#2: Perhaps thought #1 can be lessened if you "own" your new position, and require the respect it deserves. It has taken me a while to understand that there is nothing wrong with requiring an appropriate amount of respect.

#3: Six years in the engineering field is a lot. The half-life of an engineer is three years (at least in non consulting businesses), so that says something about your experience compared to others.

#4: If the consulting firm you are currently employed with was your first job out of university, you may need to see new things and new companies. The career advice I received was to work in three different types of environments (large, small, government, high growth, etc.) before the age of 30.

#5: Salary increase tends to only happen when you have a job, and are doing well with it. If any companies can no longer hire you, your next job may have an equal, or less salary.
2013-08-23 1:21 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by bradleyd3 Which position will get you closer to your ultimate goal in your career life? There's your answer. Money isn't necessarily always worth it.

I'd agree with this completely, and as I'm sure you are awere the "grass isn't always greener"... however it seems like in your current position you are faced with an immediate supervisor who isn't your biggest fan, and staff who resent you being there, at least according to the rumor mill.  That's a pretty tough spot to succeed in.

At the new gig you go in and start fresh and make 20% more to boot.  I'm sure that would be more than enough to buy a shiny new bike with!

2013-08-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Master
PNW
How badly does the new company want you?

I ask because if they *really* want you, they may wait. I would be perfectly honest with them and say that the reason you turned them down before is because you took this new opportunity with your current company partially for the experience and partially out of loyalty. Tell them that now you'd like to see it through to completion. You did say it only had maybe 6 months left on the project, correct? Tell them that. Explain that you'd like to finish it out and that you'd be more than willing to consider their position at that time. See if they'll wait for you. If nothing else, it'll speak to your loyalty and to your work ethic.

I work for an engineering company and we have been known to wait for the people we want.

If they say no, you are back to your original decision of course, but no worse for the asking.
2013-08-23 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Perhaps you mentioned it and I missed it, but is there more stability with the new job?  In other words, will you just be in the same position as you are now, going from project to project never knowing what will happen with your job each time a project is done?  Or will there be more stability or a chance for better longevity with the new job?  That would be a big influence on my decision.  Current management has to understand if you leave for a position that has more permanence.

2013-08-24 8:39 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Originally posted by bradleyd3

Which position will get you closer to your ultimate goal in your career life?

There's your answer.

Money isn't necessarily always worth it.

Still trying to figure out what that goal is. That's the hard part!
2013-08-24 8:43 AM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
This isn't my first job out of college, but it is the only firm I've worked for out of the military. This new project would allow me to work in a new client sector, where the new firm would be the same client sector I've always worked in
2013-08-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
I have thought about this as well and may just do that.
2013-08-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
That's tough to answer, I'm not sure. But there may be more of a perceived stability with the new firm.
2013-08-24 4:20 PM

User image

Elite

First DJ... isn't it GREAT to have choices!!! Let's not forget that little bit.

Based solely on what you tell me... If I liked the firm I worked for, and they did what they did, and it broadened my horizons work wise... I would stay.

As far as what is true or isn't from the rumor mill.... who cares? You may very well GO to a difficult position with other employees. You could go where you hate your boss, or your boss hates you. Life is change. Learning to deal with it is the hard part. Everybody is in love when the team is winning. Loosing though its different. You have to learn how to do both. Learn how to get along in a tough environment. Don't apologize because somebody saw something good in you and through you a bone. You deserve it. Get along with those guys the same you get along with everyone. They will either leave, or you will get promoted.

Me personally,  I would go with different. (The work at the same firm) Because I like learning new stuff, and even if employment does not work out in the future, you have put another skill in your box. Who knows what that will lead to.

Generally, I'm about the money. If I HAVE to be someplace for 40 hours a week, I want to make the most. And 20% is good. But it isn't everything. Something more interesting and potentially better for my career would get my attention as it has yours.

From where I sit, you have a decision, but it certainly isn't a problem. Congrats on the good fortune in your career. Sounds like either will be good.

2013-08-24 6:41 PM
in reply to: powerman

Expert
Remember the line from the Matrix movie; "Your men are already dead". Well mentally, you are already dead in this new position. You are already seeing obstacles real or imagined in this new role. There also seems to be a seeking of justification to leave the position, probably due to a perceived obligation owed to the executive who assisted in getting it for you. However, if you move to the new company, and it turns out not to be what you expect, well there will be the 'grass was greener' and the remembrance of how things really weren't that bad at the position you left!

You had a major disruption in your career due to the contract drying up, while that disruption is over, you haven't stabilized. Here's a suggestion; have a talk with your immediate supervisor about your current role. Do not discuss anything about personalities, coworkers, or the perception that the client may or may not have about you. Focus on the success factors of the assignment, how you believe you are doing in aligning with them, and ask for input from your supervisor. Maybe you had an earlier meeting and this could be an extension or follow-up on that. Your supervisor's response to this request and the subsequent meeting, will give you a good indication of where you stand. Since you have a lifeline with the other offer, if the opportunity arises, bluntly ask him/her if you can count on their support to get you through the learning curve. Hesitation, or waffling is not a good sign.

Look, you were one day away from not being with this company. Your ability, recognized by someone in authority, saved you. Your ability also got you a new position, with a 20% increase in salary. Put your ability back to work, either in your current position, or in the new one. Hesitation or waffling on your part is also not good.

2013-08-26 9:19 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Well for those of you who have been waiting by your computer to see what the decision is, here we go. I thought long and hard about it and had many discussions with the family. It was the only thought on my mind during my long run last night. This time, I am going to go with my gut feeling, which is to see what's behind curtain #2 (i.e., new firm).

Just put in my 2 weeks notice. No knots in my stomach, not even a raised heartbeat. It just feels right.
2013-08-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Nice. Good luck with the new firm. So now we just need to decide what we are going to spend your raise on. What are the choices. Laughing

Edited by powerman 2013-08-26 9:54 AM
2013-08-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Originally posted by powerman

Nice. Good luck with the new firm. So now we just need to decide what we are going to spend your raise on. What are the choices. Laughing

now there's something to think about... Just got a new road bike not long ago. Stable is sitting at 5 bikes... but it does seem to be missing a cross bike
2013-08-26 10:45 AM

User image

Originally posted by djastroman

Well for those of you who have been waiting by your computer to see what the decision is, here we go. I thought long and hard about it and had many discussions with the family. It was the only thought on my mind during my long run last night. This time, I am going to go with my gut feeling, which is to see what's behind curtain #2 (i.e., new firm).

Just put in my 2 weeks notice. No knots in my stomach, not even a raised heartbeat. It just feels right.

Good Luck!

2013-08-26 1:11 PM

Expert
Good Luck!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Career fork in the road question for COJ Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CoJ support thread for CoJ Pages: 1 2

Started by TriAya
Views: 1919 Posts: 35

2009-10-23 12:27 AM thomas1999

COJ Brain Trust Question

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 803 Posts: 10

2009-02-04 2:24 PM Artemis

One Last Question for the COJ Political Debaters...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2181 Posts: 21

2008-11-06 6:30 AM tri42

Any Pharmaceutical Salespeople on CoJ - job question

Started by sulross
Views: 612 Posts: 2

2008-07-23 11:50 AM triturn

BT Newbie CoJ Question

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 693 Posts: 8

2008-03-06 2:39 PM Fatdoggy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 20, 2009
comments : 0
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
Am I crazy to want to still pursue tri, or is it fair to assume that my body will tell me when enough is enough and enjoy it/use it until such time comes to pass?
date : November 27, 2005
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
It is inadvisable for some people to begin an intensive exercise program without first consulting a health professional for advice, monitoring, and in some cases, tests.

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.

date : September 2, 2004
author : tmwelshy
comments : 15
In February of 2004 I was a 270 pound 34 year old. I had the body of an out-of-shape, degenerate lineman. I was strong and muscular, but with a healthy dose of jiggle and even, dare I say it, wiggle.