United States
Pikes Peak Marathon, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 45m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

On Vacation in late June, and moved 70 folks over 2 weekends back into a remodeled building in mid July so did what I could, using all the tricks!
Had only gone 4:54 even 2 weeks before, but put 4:45 as goal and entered it into the Chart I keep of finish times on Friday before the race. Hitting it was a MAJOR success.
Hydrated and Carbo loaded in 2.5 days before, including Brown and Wild Rice, Sweet Potatoes, Garbanzo Beans, and Beet Juice and Coconut Water.
Went Wednesday morning and did pre-race routine, parking at HS, doing planned Warm Up, then walked to Start and ran to Hydro St (Mile and a Half, to near the Trail).
Did not sleep well, but was not overly tired race morning. Warm shower, began sipping breakfast drink that was 1 Soy Pro 1/2Cup Carbo Gain 3 HW Gainer 900 Banana 1 TBLS Chia Seeds for a total of 919.25Cals and a Ratio of 67.45% Carbs, 21.54Protein, 11.01Fat. Took the Vitamins, adding DHEA, Green Tea Extract, and 3 Hammer Race Day Caps.
Dressed, put event Go Juice of 3 Scoops Heavyweight Gainer 900 and 3 Scoops CytoMax- for 743.25Cals in the Ratio 81.53%Carbs, 12.11%Protein, 6.36% Fat into the 28oz Hydrapak and loaded everything I'd laid out into the Car.
Left a half hour earlier than normal, 5:30ish, because due to recent flooding everyone was being encouraged to park where I always do at the High School. Got there and HS Parking lot was mostly empty, thanks to the sign pointing "Runner Parking" one road down, by the Middle School. Chose a spot next to the Wood Shop entrance, putting the diagonal lines next to the drivers side so I could sit and do my thing with the door open, no problem.
Chilled while watching Deer, including a hugely-racked Buck, munch the Sports Field grass. Hoping they'd go before I wanted to warm up. Eventually, folks trying to take their Photo drove them up the cliffs above the HS and over the ridge out of sight.
Much windier than on recent mornings or past race mornings, but temp was up too, so it evened out nicely. Wind died down well before start of race.
Event warmup:

Eventually got Race Socks and shoes on- using a 3mm lift in each heel this year, which made about a 6-7% Grade virtually flat! Warmed up on Track with once around walking and about half a lap at a slow jog shuffle/little run. Didn't want to push Calves or tweak knee or anything. Next year, plan on A. Being in better shape with more practice start to Hydro, and B therefore Warming up more/faster.

Walked to start, arriving just as Gun sounded for 1st Wave, tossed Sweat Check Bag on pile and got in LONG Porta Potty line. My single 'mistake' this year was not putting my keys in the Sweat Check bag. So I carried them up in the Hand-Held Bottle Holder, that I had put them in back at the Car.
Out of Porta Potty and got in Start group closer to the front than last several years, but still 9 seconds difference between gun and chip times. Hopefully next year I can take fuller advantage of it. :-)
Run
  • 4h 45m 21s
  • 13.32 miles
  • 21m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall VERY happy with performance. Did what I needed to do, especially from Bottomless Pit sign on through A-Frame and 2 to go, and even in the steepest rocky parts in the last mile, to keep pushing and get the 4:45.
This meant occasional ruthless passing, but mostly just pushing my pace/keeping my head in the game, sometimes noticing who ahead 9 folks was holding up the line and not being content to relax at the back of the conga line but "going to the back of the rope" so to speak and pulling past the zombies. The phrase "I see dead people" came to mind a few times as a joke. But mostly, my head was clear and I simply said "Go" to myself, and somehow got in a rhythm with that.
Focused on Breathing, which I really think is the key above Bottomless Pit and especially above Treeline, and kept my head down, mostly, thoroughly enjoying whatever space there was between me and others up high.
Did not really 'hurt'. Not sure how else to explain it, and even ran a little in the slight downhills at the very top, but pushed pretty much the whole race. Had more in the tank from not running so much/too hard in the lower flats and downhills.
What would you do differently?:

Ran little, and easy, even in the downhills. If I want one last shot at a PR I gotta run flats and downhills and everywhere I can and still power the last 3-4miles. That's less weight for more running, greater overall endurance, and more time at Altitude.

No huge trips or moves that I know of next June/July so it's on me. Hey at least I wasn't newly injured this year.

Post race
Warm down:

Through finish, directly to Sweat-Check pickup, yelled out number and kept walking so that Volunteer had to double-take once they had my bag and I was yelling that I was now up-around to the side.
Got bag, proceeded directly to Van line. Van filled, got in front seat of next Van. Whoohoo. Jessica drove us to Bus. Got a couple drinks of Gatorade and some M&Ms and got on Bus- Front Seat with a small guy from Virginia who tried to sleep on way down. Talked to folks all around the whole way down.
Back to Manitou, and here's where it went to heck. Brother and buddy already nervous about getting campsite at 14ers they wanted to climb the next day. So though brother was showered they didn't want me and the gals to shower until Buena Vista. So drove in hot no A/C car sticky and sweaty to Buena Vista, where we waited to 2 Cyclists and a camping party to get in the showers.
Bad Bad idea to head back to altitude, really hampered recovery.
Had great food and Beer at Eddyline Brewery- highlight of the trip.
Checked rapids and gawked at 'Band' endlessly noodling while folks waited for them to start, then piled their wood into my car so they could get all their stuff in.
Part way to campsite realized more altitude was a No Can Do, and even if late and a long way from home I needed to get down and sleep in own bed. Brother and buddy stopped to wee and I told em I'd turn off at next Forest Rd. Swapped wood back into their vehicle- on their laps!- and bolted for home after given measly Beers- 6 I didn't want, 2 of each I did want- instead of the 3 6ers I WON on Race.
Took a LONG time to get off rough forest road and onto highway. By the time back in Buena Vista very dark. Stopped at Branding Iron Grill and Bar, watched part of Broncos Preseason loss to Seahawks (40-10) while chowing again on Chicken Sammy with (better than Eddyline) Sweet Tater Fries and 2 LARGE Cokes!
Won't get caught up in their BS again, and tried to let them know WAY more efficient to shower in Manitou and THEN go wherever.
Finally home, slept like a log, and napped Sunday too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training was limited due to Vacation and Moves (and Frankly from not being at 24Hour but at a gym with limited night, especially Friday night, and weekend hours). Did at least go up early in year, even through snow 2 times- not my style- and went on a Thursday before the moves.

Event comments:

Water was TASTY this year, much moreso than ever. And I got plenty at every stop.
The 743Cals of Go Juice was a winner, especially with plenty of water to dilute it to a good digestible osmolality.
A Frame running out of Water, asking folks to hold back. Still did ok, got more water at Cirque and carried it in.
Pizza at after-party shut down my stomach instantly. Ugh!

Last updated: 2013-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
04:45:21 | 13.32 miles | 21m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-23 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Subject: Pikes Peak Ascent
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Ascent Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pikes Peak Ascent

Started by rayd
Views: 2584 Posts: 7

2008-08-21 2:27 PM Joe Runner

Pikes Peak Ascent

Started by lobo
Views: 1230 Posts: 1

2007-08-20 12:23 AM lobo

Pikes Peak Ascent

Started by kilo_dave
Views: 1174 Posts: 2

2007-08-19 6:20 PM rayd

Pikes Peak Ascent

Started by ABQkid
Views: 1504 Posts: 2

2006-08-22 4:53 PM lobo

Pikes Peak Ascent

Started by lobo
Views: 1492 Posts: 6

2006-08-21 8:41 PM ABQkid
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How do you train for an A-race that is six months away? How do you peak for multiple A-races?

date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Stability Ball Pike-Up abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.