General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice: Mont Tremblant or Cedar Point in 2014? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-23 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Advice: Mont Tremblant or Cedar Point in 2014?
I'm trying to figure out which race to do next year for my first IM next year. I've narrowed it down and would love to get feedback from people who have been to either Mont Tremblant or Cedar Point (or maybe in those rare cases both!).

Specifically what I would like to know more about is:

1) How difficult or easy is the course(s)?
2) What is there for my kids and wife to do in Mont Tremblant? How can they spend the day? (Having grown up in Cleveland, I know what they would be doing at CP)
3) What is the experience like? How much comradery is there?
4) How well is the event(s) organized?
5) How long would I have to register?

Any info your could provide would be great!

Thanks,
DQ

2013-08-23 5:02 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Advice: Mont Tremblant or Cedar Point in 2014?
I have never done Mt Tremblant so I can't tell you what they have to offer but Rev 3 Cedar Point in my opinion is a great first Iron Distance race.

1) How difficult or easy is the course(s)? Rev 3 Cedar Point is relatively flat on the bike ( a few small hills) and is pancake flat on the run (biggest hill is on the causeway into the park). Very good course for a first timer. My Full distance PR is on that course.
2) What is there for my kids and wife to do? As you said Cedar Point is the Roller Coaster Capital of the World. Plenty to keep the family entertained and the course keeps bringing you to them. Plus the Rev3 Glow Run, the Little Rev Adventure race, and the Sprint Tri give them plenty of activities on the days leading up to the race.
3) What is the experience like? How much comradery is there? Rev 3 is smaller than IM Tremblant and the smaller field does give a "small town vibe to the race" but the exposure to the pros, and the atmosphere is top notch. Please great finishers gear and medals and free finish line photos.
4) How well is the event(s) organized? The race is very well organized and the volunteers are great. Sandusky was very happy to host the event.
5) How long would I have to register? I think IM Tremblant is already sold out for 2014 (Got an e-mail from IM yesterday but wasn't 100% sure if that was the 70.3 or the 140.6 (they have both on different dates), Cedar Point typically stays open until very close to race day, so you don't have to commit a year in advance.

Hope that helps. For full disclosure, note that I am on the Revolution 3 AG team. My race report is attached.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-08-23 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Qua17

2) What is there for my kids and wife to do in Mont Tremblant? How can they spend the day? (Having grown up in Cleveland, I know what they would be doing at CP)

1. I've done 1 flat IM (IMWA) and 1 hilly IM (IMMT). Relatively I would say IMMT is more challenging due to hills but given reasonable training on the bike, I don't see this as a problem for anyone wanting to do an Ironman race.

2. Family stuff ...hiking, biking, fun kids park in the village, gondola ride to the top of the mountain. boating in the many lakes, and swimming of course.
water was reasonable 71F

3. People are super friendly and easy to chat with. Great experience.

4. WTC has this wired. People in the town are into it as well.

5. Chances are you better register soon. I have no idea how long it will be open, but it is getting way more popular..fast.

this is a win win ...go for it.
2013-08-23 7:48 PM

Chicago
I'm in a similar situation now that I'm not doing IMWI like I planned (long story). If I'm doing a 140.6 next season I'm between Cedar Point and Ironman Louisville so I'll be interested to hear how this ends up for you. I've been doing my research and from the race reports I'm reading CP can get a little lonely since it's so small. I've mostly heard positive things though. My whole family would most likely be coming along (2 kids under 4) so the family friendly is an important consideration.
2013-08-23 8:41 PM
in reply to: NewfangledDad

User image

Expert
Originally posted by NewfangledDad

I'm in a similar situation now that I'm not doing IMWI like I planned (long story). If I'm doing a 140.6 next season I'm between Cedar Point and Ironman Louisville so I'll be interested to hear how this ends up for you. I've been doing my research and from the race reports I'm reading CP can get a little lonely since it's so small. I've mostly heard positive things though. My whole family would most likely be coming along (2 kids under 4) so the family friendly is an important consideration.

Sorry to hear that IMWI isn't working out! I hear that CP all depends on where you finish. If you are a MOPer - you should have plenty of people around. On the other hand - if you are finishing closer to midnight - I think it could be pretty quiet.

That said - Cedar point is great for kids - even ones as young as yours.

Best,
DQ
2013-08-23 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by NewfangledDad

Have you been to Louisville in August? Cedar Point is on my list

2013-08-23 10:39 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have done the 70.3 at both races. They are totally different races and experiences. For me, it is no question that I would go back to MT and I am more lukewarm about racing again at Cedar Point. Rev3 is great and I really like their races and how they do things, but CP was not that exciting for me.

MT: Beautiful course/venue. Harder course. Hillier. You may regret choosing MT on the second lap of the bike but it is much more interesting topographically and from a scenery perspective. Way more crowd support but there are lonely portions on both the bike and the run. Run is mostly on a packed dirt trail. I found it really nice. Some people had told me that it was a flat run but it definitely has some hills. The swim is in a very clean/clear/protected lake. A beautiful swim venue. One of my favorite ever. The hotels/resorts are top notch. We parked the car when we arrived and then did not drive again until we left the resort. I did not bring my kids but it appears that there are a lot of activities for them. FredD told me that MT was his family's favorite race destination. This is the best organized WTC race I have done with real buy-in from the MT community for race support.

CP: Much easier bike and run. Great destination for the family. Amusement Park is second to none (or very few) in the world and in the past participants have gotten in for exclusive times to do the rides without crowds. That part was awesome! The swim is in Lake Erie which can be variable in its conditions. One year a storm blew in the most amazing muck that was 'stuck' to the shore for the first 100 or so yards of the swim. That was interesting and weird. Only time I have ever panicked on a swim. The course is somewhat uninteresting. A lot of flat farmland and many roads with chip seal. The run is through the town of Sandusky but there was surprisingly little cheering/crowds the years that I did it. Both the bike and the run are pretty flat so that can be a positive (or a negative depending on your perspective). We stayed on site at the host hotel and were pretty underwhelmed. It was kind of musty and dingy but it was right at the race site. There are about a zillion hotels that are not affiliated with the race within 10 or so miles of the start line. Rev 3 is really a great race company. They cater to their racers and really try to make sure that the racers, and their families (so important) have a great experience. I love to support their races.

So, for me, MT wins hands down. Not even a contest. If I were taking roller-coaster-aged kids then the decision might be a little tougher.

I have race reports on both events if you care to read them.
2013-08-23 10:57 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

2011 was the year Cedar Point had "muck" along the shoreline. The water was flat as a tabletop for Sunday's event. Bring throw-away water/fluid bottle with you if you are doing the 70.3 event swim start. Wind on the bike ride may change the effort required.
2013-08-24 5:48 AM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Elite
Though I have only done imlp I have spoken ti many people and read many race reports on these races....as far as the organizers you cannot goe wrong with either. If you are sucked into the allure of the IM brand race like I was since watching the race since ibwas a kid unwanted an IM brand ti.be the first one. The other thing that i was concerned about was the attendance of the race. At this distance being my first I knee I would be finishing in the bottom half and it can get lonely out there. Also crowd support for the I'M races seem ti be amazing. Rec CP may also be good but that I do not know.

Good.luck choosing
2013-08-24 6:11 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Just did IMMT and found it to be amazing.

The course is beautiful. The lake is crystal clear and fresh - best and nicest OWS I have ever done. the bike ride is hilly but rarely boring - the roads are super smooth - they were replaced especially for this race. The run is not flat , but it is nice and a large portion of it is on an old rail trail.

Support on the course is great, parts of it can get a bit lonely but there are many sections where you feel like a rock star because crowd support is so amazing. There are 2600 people racing on a looped course so there is ALWAYS someone racing around you.

Accommodations at Tremblant are plentiful, modern and clean - very suitable for families. If you stay in the village itself all the hotels have a pool. There are tons of things for children to do from taking a gondola up the mountain to riding down the mountain in a luge go cart. There is an all day pass you can buy which allows your children to play on the trampolines ,climbing wall etc for the whole day. One of my friends who did the Ironman bought the pass and then just sat in a chair watching his daughter for 6 hours the day before the race!

There is also the beach area which has an inflatable climbing wall for the kids.

I think it will sell out pretty soon though so if you are keen I would get on it fast! The 70.3 sold out in 24 hours.
2013-08-24 8:45 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

Chicago
Originally posted by rjrankin83

Have you been to Louisville in August? Cedar Point is on my list

My philosophy is at least w/Louisville in Aug you KNOW what you're getting. It's going to be hot, humid, and the river water is going to be 80. One less thing to worry about. lol

2013-08-26 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Newfangleddad - you know it's hot when it's the WTC race that takes the longest to sell out. Hot! Damn hot!
2013-08-26 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

I'm trying to figure out which race to do next year for my first IM next year. I've narrowed it down and would love to get feedback from people who have been to either Mont Tremblant or Cedar Point (or maybe in those rare cases both!).

Specifically what I would like to know more about is:

Any info your could provide would be great!

Thanks,
DQ

I have never done either but I signed up for IMMT 2014 as my first full and I plan to do CP 70.3 at some point in the future due to having family 10miles away and a free place to stay. I did volunteer at IMMT this year and here is what I can tell you FWIW:

1.) The course is hilly but from what I saw driving the course and being out there, its not too bad. What goes up must come down and all the downhills are straight so not a lot of technical turns or descents. They pave the roads prior to the races and they seemed perfect. Tons of crowd support from what I saw and the community gets behind the race so much its not even funny. Swim is in a gorgeous lake and the run portion did not seem bad at all. Very scenic course to occupy your mind. I can guarentee its a much nicer course then CP.

2.) I am not sure how old your kids are but we saw a section between the pedestrian village and swim start that was just full of inflatable games, bounce houses, etc and appeared to be a kids zone. Looked like a fair. All of the hotels and most condo developments have pool, hottubs, etc. Depending on where you stay, some resorts and condos give renters free passes to the lake to get in and enjoy water activities like kayak, canoeing, climbing the rock wall, trampoline, etc. There is shopping, restaurants, the gondola to the top, Mont Tremblant National Park and you are an hour outside of Montreal which could be turned into a long day trip if looking for something a little more grown up and cultural. My family is coming up with me next year and making sure they had plenty of things to do to occupy their time was important to me and it looks like they will have plenty. Obviously at CP, you have the theme park but thats really it. Again, not sure if they give free park passes to competitors or not but it could be pricey for a day or 2 to take a family to the amusement park. Just different things to do since much different locations.

3.) I volunteered this year at IMMT and it was out of this world! I was amazed at how big of a show it was. The whole town was so behind this race. We saw signs and banners on the highway coming into town and all of the condos, restaurants, buildings all had IM stuff or S/B/R signs on their buildings. The streets were flooded with signs and chalked inspiration lined the streets. In the village, it was one big party and they had fireworks the night before. People in MT seemed to really love this race and everyone was so friendly and helpful. This is what I think about when I decided to do my first 140.6 was to have that type of atmosphere and bar none, it was top notch all the way. Everyone speaks english too.I worked in the Athlete Food Tent at the finish and saw lots of people finish. We had tons, tons of food, free beer, and Poutine!! Not sure about CP but being a smaller venue, I would think it might have less volunteers and be less of a spectacle when you finish.

4.) IMMT seemed to be extremely organized. All the hotels and condos had maps to give to people, spectator guides with race week information were handed out to everyone. VOlunteer check in ran smooth. All the buses in the city are free on race day for people to go between bike, run and finish line. I didnt really speak to any other volunteer or person who did not know an answer to a question I had which was very helpful. Again, no comparison to CP but everything I have heard about REV3 would leave me to believe they are extremely well organized.

5.) Not sure about CP but IMMT is still open (cant believe it)

I dont think you can go wrong with either race but it really comes down to what experience you want to have. Also, IMMT might be a closer drive for you then CP if that makes any difference.

2013-08-26 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

Chicago

Newfangleddad - you know it's hot when it's the WTC race that takes the longest to sell out. Hot! Damn hot!

Kona's hot too and you know we'd all race that in a heartbeat. lol

As far as other decision factors being discussed...From a weekend logistics standpoint, the Saturday check-in is a nice possibility at Rev 3 Cedar Point. If I do a WTC race we're talking getting there Friday before that closes, amusing the kids all day Saturday, plus race day. My kids are probably too young for most rides at CP though. In my head, I'm working through what else--the beach, etc.--would be a possibility for entertainment while I'm racing.

Edited by NewfangledDad 2013-08-26 2:02 PM
2013-08-26 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
I pulled the trigger today and signed up for IMMT... In the end, the biggest factor was getting to race during the summer. My wife and I are teachers and the start of the year (CP is September 7) would be so stressful!

Thanks for all of your help with this decision!
2013-08-26 5:07 PM

User image

Congratulations - you will love it!

2013-08-26 5:45 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice: Mont Tremblant or Cedar Point in 2014? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 2553 Posts: 11

2014-07-28 10:47 AM KSH

Ironman mont tremblant

Started by zaugfear
Views: 391 Posts: 1

2012-06-26 2:45 PM zaugfear

Ironman Mont TremBlant Registration Question

Started by rtocco
Views: 1117 Posts: 5

2011-06-15 7:40 AM wstchstrTriathlete

Ironman Mont-Tremblant Registration Question

Started by rtocco
Views: 329 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 2:51 PM rtocco

Ironman Mont Tremblant 2012 Pages: 1 2

Started by mgalanter
Views: 10735 Posts: 48

2011-06-13 9:20 AM wstchstrTriathlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.