General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What bike supplies do you bring on longish training rides? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-24 10:34 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: What bike supplies do you bring on longish training rides?
Any ride of 3 or less hours:

1 tube
Patch kit
2 levers
Tool
3 CO2
Wet wipe
Phone

More than 3 hours I just add a tube

2013-08-25 7:16 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

I bought a generic multi-tool that has a chain tool on it. I have no idea what it is, but it seemed like a good idea at the time I bought a 'swiss-army' bike tool.

Its kind of bulky and takes up alot of space in my smallish saddle bag. I only have room for levers, tube, boot, 1 C02, and the tool.

Is there a need for all those 'tools' or do I only need 1-2 wrenches I could by indivudually which would fee up space to add another cartridge.

yes, I have no idea how to change a tire. I went through the summer without anything and decided it was time to pack some security.
2013-08-25 9:06 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by Chillin
Originally posted by JZig

The reason I ask is on my ride a couple days ago I got 2 flats.  The first used my only spare tube. The second I used my patch kit, but I used up the last of my CO2.  So at that point I was 60km from home and not even halfway done my ride, so I was pretty nervous about getting another flat somewhere in the middle of nowhere.  Thankfully 30km down the road I was able to find a bike shop and buy some supplies.

So ya what I had was: 

1 spare tube

1 patch kit

1 1/2 CO2 canisters

2 tire levers

1 multitool

This was obviously not enough, but I fully thought it would be, so what does everyone else bring?

Half a CO2 canister?
Ya I cut it in half to make it fit in my saddle bag better. It didn't really work very well after though.
Haha, no. It was half used, not half a canister.

a half-used canister is effectively an empty one.  you can't just release "some" of that pressure.  I have a frame pump mounted on my bike.  I carry 2 tubes, a couple dollars, 2 CO2 cartridges and make sure my cell battery is charged because after 2 flats, eff it, i'm getting a ride home

2013-08-25 9:37 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

NC
Originally posted by mehaner

a half-used canister is effectively an empty one.  you can't just release "some" of that pressure. 

You can. You just need a chuck that allows you to control the release of CO2. Like this one:

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bicycle/road-tri-athlete/microfla...

2013-08-25 12:33 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by mehaner a half-used canister is effectively an empty one.  you can't just release "some" of that pressure. 
You can. You just need a chuck that allows you to control the release of CO2. Like this one: http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bicycle/road-tri-athlete/microfla...

Yep. I use this one: http://www.mec.ca/product/5014-512/planet-bike-red-zeppelin-co2-inflator/?f=10&q=co2

I can easily use one canister for 3 fills.

2013-08-25 12:52 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Yep. I use this one: http://www.mec.ca/product/5014-512/planet-bike-red-zeppelin-co2-inflator/?f=10&q=co2

Be careful relying on having a half CO2 remaining; every inflator that I have used, even ones with a valve, will bleed off CO2 after the cannister is punctured so you may find you have an empty CO2 in your chuck when you go to use it.

Beyond that, what weight CO2's are you using? If you are using a 16g and filling tire flats with it, you are dramtically underfilling your tires and this will likely lead to another (pinch) flat. IIRC you mentioned having lots of flats and if you are filling your tires to this level before riding, it very well may be the case that you do not have enough air pressure leading to the flats.

Shane

2013-08-25 12:58 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Chillin Yep. I use this one: http://www.mec.ca/product/5014-512/planet-bike-red-zeppelin-co2-inflator/?f=10&q=co2

Be careful relying on having a half CO2 remaining; every inflator that I have used, even ones with a valve, will bleed off CO2 after the cannister is punctured so you may find you have an empty CO2 in your chuck when you go to use it. Beyond that, what weight CO2's are you using? If you are using a 16g and filling tire flats with it, you are dramtically underfilling your tires and this will likely lead to another (pinch) flat. IIRC you mentioned having lots of flats and if you are filling your tires to this level before riding, it very well may be the case that you do not have enough air pressure leading to the flats. Shane

Well that is why I always bring at least 1 unused canister.  I am not filling them from flat 3 times with one canister, when I am at home I am using my hand pump to fill them as much as possible and then topping them up with the CO2 since it is not possible to get them inflated enough with my hand pump.

2013-08-25 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I carry the same stuff for all of my outdoor rides, whether they are 20 miles or 120 miles:
In my saddle bag:
1 spare tube
1 patch kit
2 CO2
1 CO2 adapter
1 small multi-tool
1 tire iron

In my jersey pockets:
Cell phone
ID
1 bill (usually $5-$10, whatever is in my wallet)

There was one time where I didn't have enough stuff, but having 3 flats in one ride is not very common. You can only prepare for so much. The cell phone is for the rest.
2013-08-25 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Well that is why I always bring at least 1 unused canister.  I am not filling them from flat 3 times with one canister, when I am at home I am using my hand pump to fill them as much as possible and then topping them up with the CO2 since it is not possible to get them inflated enough with my hand pump.

IIWY I would invest in a floor pump with pressure gauge. Save the CO2 for the side of the road.

Shane
2013-08-25 1:11 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Originally posted by ChillinWell that is why I always bring at least 1 unused canister.  I am not filling them from flat 3 times with one canister, when I am at home I am using my hand pump to fill them as much as possible and then topping them up with the CO2 since it is not possible to get them inflated enough with my hand pump.
IIWY I would invest in a floor pump with pressure gauge. Save the CO2 for the side of the road.Shane
Haha, funny you should say that: yesterday I just finally bought a floor pump with pressure gauge. I haven't even used it yet it's just sitting in my den. In the long run its gonna be way cheaper than all those canisters I was burning through.
2013-08-25 7:11 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Regular
I just bought a small pump to carry just in case. I am not what you would call "handy" so, its not out of the realm of possibility I would use my CO2 incorrectly. Even I cant screw up a manual hand pump.

2013-08-25 8:58 PM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

User image

Originally posted by strykergtI invest on my tires well Gatorskin for my roadie and Vittoria for my TT,

Originally posted by slowbuthappyI second the Gatorskin tire recommendation - since I went with Gatorskins I haven't had a single flat .

Ok, I'm completely convinced that paying more for quality tubes is the way to go.

Today on my short ride I got 2 flats again.  The first was only 1km in and the second was only 12km in.  Teaches me for buying the cheapest parts I could.

Tomorrow I will be buying some quality tubes, hopefully then I will stop getting such a ridiculous amount of flats.

Thanks for the recommendation guys, I'll look into Gatorskin.

2013-08-26 10:53 AM

User image

gatorskin tires = no flats for me too. Just got a fresh set on the roadie.
But I'm glad I read this thread...I had no idea that you could use a dollar as a tire boot...FANTASTIC! Thanks guys)
2013-08-26 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I've gotten flats with Gatorskins, too. The majority of my flats would have occurred regardless of what tire I was using (sidewall cuts, for example). Just be warned that they are not a panacea.
2013-08-26 4:12 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I bring a pump. If I'm riding alone then I bring two tubes. That's usually over 90km though. I usually have bus fare too.
2013-08-26 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
The list has pretty well been covered.

I carry a frame pump. It works a little better on aggressive dogs than the CO2 inflator.

I have used the dollar bill trick to get back to the car. It does work! (I've heard a gel wrapper similar also works too.)

My seat bag contains:
Spare tube
Patch kit
presta-schrader adapter
multi-tool
tire levers
lights (probably need to replace the batteries)
$5 bill
Paper towel

I try to carry a route sheet and some food "just in case."

2013-08-26 6:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by ChillinWell that is why I always bring at least 1 unused canister.  I am not filling them from flat 3 times with one canister, when I am at home I am using my hand pump to fill them as much as possible and then topping them up with the CO2 since it is not possible to get them inflated enough with my hand pump.
IIWY I would invest in a floor pump with pressure gauge. Save the CO2 for the side of the road.Shane
Haha, funny you should say that: yesterday I just finally bought a floor pump with pressure gauge. I haven't even used it yet it's just sitting in my den. In the long run its gonna be way cheaper than all those canisters I was burning through.

You should always use a floor pump whenever possible.  It gives you a much more accurate pressure reading which will increase your ride quality, decrease rolling resistance, and reduce the chance of a pinch flat.

In addition, it should also be noted that CO2 bleeds through tubes much faster than normal air.  Should be okay during a ride in the case of a flat, but over the course of 24+ hours, you'll likely lose maybe 20% psi.  Anytime I flat and fill with CO2, I always make sure when I get home to release all the air (CO2) from the tube and pump it back up using a floor pump.  You don't want to be riding with CO2 in your tubes if it's avoidable.

2013-08-26 9:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

2 tubes
small pump
levers
multitool

No use for me to bring a toonie or loonie as there are no stores where I go. They don't help for a boot either. Maybe I should pack some aluminum foil for that.
Gatorskins have helped my flats although I blew out a gatorskin a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't find any reason for it. Luckily I wasn't far from home.
2013-08-26 9:39 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
1 Tube
2 CO2 canisters
1 CO2 adapter
1 Tire Lever
1 Multi Tool
2013-08-26 9:42 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

NC
Three condoms
Twelve pack
$1500
Fake passport

2013-08-26 9:48 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Goosedog

Three condoms
Twelve pack
$1500
Fake passport

im checking out your workout log now for more info.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What bike supplies do you bring on longish training rides? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Drop Bike Off Day Before Or Bring Bike Day Of

Started by guppie58
Views: 1221 Posts: 7

2012-08-07 8:59 PM sulross

For you HIM in training folks who are doing AM training

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1816 Posts: 17

2012-06-21 12:08 PM Rudedog55

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4801 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

What to bring on a long ride? Pages: 1 2

Started by Lucy
Views: 2006 Posts: 30

2007-07-30 8:20 AM Tri-FatBoy

Bring on the bike leg! Pages: 1 2

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 1798 Posts: 26

2006-05-09 9:38 PM BodyCheck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 3
What do you bring to the starting line? What are you going to leave on the course? What will you take with you across the finish line?

date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.